Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hayward can't seem to gell with Rohan so one has to go. Rohan's first half (mainly matched up with BOG steadsman) means he's out.
    I'd bring allir back in, even if he has to play forward. Jack needs to get out of he middle and play forward pocket.
    Allir would also give us a bit more unpredictability. Also Rampe is an all Australian one on one defender. Would weaken us significantly if taken away from this role.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post

The other point worth making is that if you have a tall athletic player, like Aliir, you have to try to find a role for him.
    Only when they're truly fit, which Aliir hasn't been since the PF of 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If the AFL rankings interest you, I suggest you go and do some research on what they measure and how. I have no idea. They are of no interest to me.
    You quoted them, so I'd hope you would explain them to me.

It's not Rohan's fault. He is what he is, and under the current circumstances make a hurcluean effort just to get out there. It's the selectors policy that purplexes me.

Senior Player
    And I still remember the niggling thought, when he was injured that night, that could be a telling blow to our chances the following week. He was playing at such a high level and was that important to our play. If he reaches that level of form again, they'll find a way to accommodate him, with Melican.

He's not in top form, but he should be fit enough given he's had 2 games (I think at 60% & 67% game time), plus another 2 weeks of training leading up to this round. He's got to be in better form than Hannebery and Jack.

We're not playing very well. We have to make some changes to try to improve. The only benefit about the way we're playing now is that it won't cost us much to draft Nick Blakey.

Veteran Site Admin

It's not Rohan's fault. He is what he is, and under the current circumstances make a hurcluean effort just to get out there. It's the selectors policy that purplexes me.
    Don't think I did. I pay no attention to them.

I'm really pleased with myself. I got you to pick on liz for something I did.

The AFL rankings are all about pressure, pressure, pressure. I'll put it this way: Every time you see Gary Rohan your blood pressure goes up. Right? That counts as a pressure act. By the end of the game he's got your blood boiling, which means he was best on ground.

A more complete explanation can be found here: Ratings Explained - AFL.com.au

Btw, hurcluean refers to an effort worthy of Michel Hurley. Most people use Herculean instead. I applaud your originality.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The main problem for me still lies in the midfield and I don�t think that can be solved by bringing NEAFL players. Whatever factors that are plaguing Kennedy and Hannebery be they physical or otherwise, let�s hope they overcome them quickly.
    Summed up my view of it all too Ugg. that is where the problem lies, and unless Kennedy and Hanners find a way to pull their socks up and get something back towards their best, we are going to be struggling big time.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

My sincerest apologies Liz.

It's not Rohan's fault. He is what he is, and under the current circumstances make a herculean effort just to get out there. It's the selectors policy that perplexes me.
    I believe it was Ludwig that quoted the champion data stats rather than Liz. Their exact methodology is not published, but they look at each play, the contribution of the player to that play, and whether it led to a score (for either team), or a turnover, or metres gained etc. It values the contribution of the player in terms of how it affected the scoreboard, rather than just counting disposals or tackles. No metric is going to fully capture a player's contribution, but I don't think it is too bad. The AFL match report had Rampe amongst our best and omitted Heeney, and I don't think that's the greatest assessment either.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Rohan - he certainly did not have a bad game and I would have had him amongst our better players. He was certainly far from our worst and I would certainly be picking him again next week (if he's available to travel).

I agree that Melican is a definite in and Hayward is probably the one to go out. He makes an effort but he gets pushed around too easily.

In terms of the mids, Parker has been very good this year, even if he was down on Friday night. Hannebery gets one more week from me on his "no pre-season" ticket, but I think that is his last ride on that. The problem for him and Kennedy is do you dare to drop them? They are playing badly enough, but if they can switch it on, then they are among the best in the comp. And if you do drop them, who do you bring in? Can someone like Mills get the job done? I'm not sure.

In the end I think the changes (barring injury) will be:

In: Melican
    Out: Hayward

I think a player could 'game' the AFL player rankings by only going into contests he knows he can win.
    Fake stats.

Those calling for Hayward to be dropped have short memories. Against West Coast, 2 goals, 21 disposals, 6 cp's, 5 marks and 3 i50. GWS, 2 goals, 18 disposals, 6 cp's, 9 marks and 4 i50. He was universally lauded for those games. Yet after a couple of quieter games he needs to be dropped. Tough selectors.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast