Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

I think selection will be very interesting this week as the mix of personnel and structures aren�t working, although Horse has shown in the past a willingness to put faith in the same players to turn it around. I can�t imagine our midfield will be so comprehensively beaten (as they were in the first half) 2 weeks in a row.

I also think the RWO perception of that being a bad loss is not shared elsewhere. You could argue that we made a bad start, turned it around and if Buddy and Heeney has kicked straight we would have won.

Ludwig I agree with 1, 2. Regarding Aliir, I think if he was good, but inconsistently so, they�d play him, but he hasn�t shown 2016 form even in patches. Florent / Hayward are in the side because their best is good enough. AA isn�t there yet. I�m pretty sure they are desperate to find a role for him as the WBD game showed.

I think Melican and another tall have to come in this week. No idea who goes out but point 5 on form those two should.

Replace them all.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We are 5 games into the season and clearly a lot of things are not working. Some things, like Joey's form, we probably just have to let him work through. But there's enough evidence to suggest that some changes have to be made.

1. It was a bit of a surprise when Florent and Hayward retained their spots for round 2 when we dropped Fox and Newman, but I'm all in favour of developing young players with potential. We know they're not going to give us consistent performances, but there should be a payoff down the road. I would like to see them get around 15 games each this year, but we don't have to play both every week.
    2. Reid is a big loss, but no more than what other teams are suffering with their injuries. Reid's biggest contribution is taking those strong marks as outlets from our defence and secondly as a foil for Buddy. Sinclair, Buddy and Reg (who is only 192cm even when he jumps) were our only players 192 cm or over. We don't have to have the tallest team going around, but don't give the opposition such a clear area to exploit.
    3. While we are giving Florent and Hayward games in the name of development, we are letting Aliir stay on the sidelines, unwilling to let a player who has already shown he can play at a high level a chance to get back to his 2016 form, especially when we are lacking height and need someone who could give us a bit of what we've lost with Reid. It would seem there is a bigger payoff to get Aliir up and running than what we can get from Florent and Hayward at this point in the season.
    4. Our defence has lacked height and pace since last year and we are often caught out with mismatches, especially from non-forwards drifting forward and finding a favourable matchup. Even bringing in both Melican and Aliir leaves us with only 5 players at 192cm and over. I think that's the same as Richmond, who have leaned to play with a shorter quicker team that loses the hitouts.
    5. Why can't we let Hanners and Jack try to work out their problems in the reserves? They are just not contributing enough for senior experienced players right now. Even Fox and Newman would offer more, if we want to bring in a couple of mature players.

Longmire and the match committee can be forgiven for their selections to this point as every club is trying to work out its best 22 early in the season. But there is enough evidence to suggest that it's time to make some changes
    Should we put Mills in the same category as Florent & Haywood ? Haven't been to a game this year but would he also be one that has under performed this year as well. Seems to get monstered at times and accuracy is questionable under pressure.

Anyone thinking of dropping Hanners is crazy, he is a champion who has had an interrupted pre season and needs time. I think Sinclair becomes our deep forward and Cameron goes in the ruck for Rohan. How long do we have to endure his quite games before he gets dropped.

In Cameron, Melican
    Out Rohan, Towers

Quote Originally Posted by Cainit View Post
    Anyone thinking of dropping Hanners is crazy, he is a champion who has had an interrupted pre season and needs time. I think Sinclair becomes our deep forward and Cameron goes in the ruck for Rohan. How long do we have to endure his quite games before he gets dropped.

In Cameron, Melican
    Out Rohan, Towers
    Hanners does need time to get his fitness and touch back. It could come back against Geelong this week, but it might not. Don't think we can afford to carry anyone, so why not send him back to the seconds to find form.

An argument could be made every week to drop Rohan, but he'll stay in I'm sure because he's so quick, applies pressure and can take a mark. I wish he delivered more on his potential.

Towers no way. I think he's really important as our second ruckman.

It is hard to know who to drop as the two "worst performing" players in AFL fantasty terms were Hanners and Jack, followed by Florent, Franklin, Hayward, Rohan, Grundy, Hewett, Kennedy! I actually thought Florent had a good game against the Crows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumarangk View Post
    Should we put Mills in the same category as Florent & Haywood ? Haven't been to a game this year but would he also be one that has under performed this year as well. Seems to get monstered at times and accuracy is questionable under pressure.
    Mills has been good. I think he was BOG one game. No problem with Mills. He gets monstered sometimes because Horse has him playing on much bigger opponents. He should move to the midfield.

Regular in the Side
    S Selwood out with concussion probably. J Selwood out suspended. Lets hope we make the most of it this week.

Melican and Cameron/ Mccartin in

Jack and Hayward/ Hannas out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Bexl View Post
    S Selwood out with concussion probably. J Selwood out suspended. Lets hope we make the most of it this week.

Melican and Cameron/ Mccartin in

Jack and Hayward/ Hannas out.
    Geelong are suggesting Ablett might return, though my guess is they'll be conservative unless he's absolutely ready to go. The fact it's his second already this season suggests they'd be foolhardy to risk him.

After last week, I think I'd rather the Cats' midfield was at its strongest. At least our brigade would turn up knowing they'd have to fight it out in the middle.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2...ett-very-close

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I took it as more of a "that's why I don't like making changes, it just stuffs up other things I have in place" comment.

Which I also partially understand - and the structuring up for a midfield to lose their contests is a bit like placing the field for bad bowling in cricket. But in that cricket scenario you'd switch your bowlers around and try something different if they were all struggling to even land it on the pitch all day.

Ultimately, if we're smashing teams through the midfield, we could isolate Nick Smith up forward and still kick a winning score.

My main concern with Cameron is the ruck - he really only played forward in the WAFL, and a big part of bringing him in now would be to release Sinclair forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The game is usually won or lost in the midfield. If you are getting thumped in that area, you are severely limited tactics wise, even if you are Clarkson, believe it or not.

I'll be very surprised if Geelong don't challenge the Selwood suspension...And even more surprised if they weren't successful...There was nothing in it.

I agree with Liz, I hope we are faced with a strong Geelong midfield.....We might then turn up for the battle.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Regular in the Side
    We always perform better as underdog.

Changes for Round 6 v Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I'll be very surprised if Geelong don't challenge the Selwood suspension...And even more surprised if they weren't successful...There was nothing in it.
    I disagree. Thomas was lying on his back and Selwood�s jumper punch caused Thomas�s head to be driven into the ground. Dangerous. Lachie Hunter got a one match suspension for bouncing Papley�s head into the ground, Selwood should/did get the same.

Chris Scott gave a strong indication Geelong will appeal, so we will see!
    Last edited by Meg; 24th April 2018 at 05:00 AM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast