Thread: Maibaum

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar

Maibaum

How's he going? Is he going to make it? Was All Aus as a junior so seemed a good prospect, and having another key defender in the works would be very useful.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I have been wondering the same thing. Maybe the ressie watchers can let us know.

He's a KPP so allowance has to be made for slower development. Lots of success stories for KPDs after slow starts, including our own Reg Grundy who was initially used as a forward. My impressions of Maibaum last year were solid but unspectacular. I haven't seen much reserves this year.

Maibaum is developing very nicely thanks to great coaching from Rhyce Shaw last year. He is the reg replacement and his development is not meant to be overnight. He's strong, a very good kick, very defensive. He beats the best NEAFL can throw at him. Darren Ewing used to kick the most goals in the NEAFL, over 70/year. He hardly ever scored against Maibaum. He has played on Patton (returning from injury) and beaten him, lynch (when returning from injury) and beaten him. Smith for Geelong has been his opponent too when he played for Suns and he beat him.

Maibaum is tracking nicely. He is a keeper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    He's a KPP so allowance has to be made for slower development. Lots of success stories for KPDs after slow starts, including our own Reg Grundy who was initially used as a forward. My impressions of Maibaum last year were solid but unspectacular. I haven't seen much reserves this year.
    You don't seem to get it. He isn't the spectacular type he is the going about his business with no fuss Reg type of player. We need that total shut down defender to play the big blokes. He's good at that. Least scored on defender in the NEAFL, two seasons running.

Thanks for the update. He sounds very impressive and something to look forward to when Grundy retires which may be at the end of this season.

"Least scored on defender in the NEAFL, two seasons running".

I wasn't aware of that. Fantastic news if that is true. We need a shut-down defender to replace Reg. Reg probably won't retire until the end of next year but I'd like to see him get some games otherwise we'll lose him.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Maibaum is developing very nicely thanks to great coaching from Rhyce Shaw last year. He is the reg replacement and his development is not meant to be overnight. He's strong, a very good kick, very defensive. He beats the best NEAFL can throw at him. Darren Ewing used to kick the most goals in the NEAFL, over 70/year. He hardly ever scored against Maibaum. He has played on Patton (returning from injury) and beaten him, lynch (when returning from injury) and beaten him. Smith for Geelong has been his opponent too when he played for Suns and he beat him.

Maibaum is tracking nicely. He is a keeper.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't seem to get it. He isn't the spectacular type he is the going about his business with no fuss Reg type of player. We need that total shut down defender to play the big blokes. He's good at that. Least scored on defender in the NEAFL, two seasons running.
    Thanks 'tone. Exactly what I was hoping to hear! Do you think he could get a run in the seniors this year?
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    "Least scored on defender in the NEAFL, two seasons running".

I wasn't aware of that. Fantastic news if that is true. We need a shut-down defender to replace Reg. Reg probably won't retire until the end of next year but I'd like to see him get some games otherwise we'll lose him.
    I hope he gets games this year, otherwise he will be off in a flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    I hope he gets games this year, otherwise he will be off in a flash.
    Now might be a good time to give him a game and release one of the backs to play forward. From the sounds of it he may be more AFL ready than any of Cameron / McCartin / Amartey etc?