Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 6 Weekly Discussion Thread

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Maybe they think it makes them sound sophisticated or something? It's a time-honoured tradition among mediocre commentators; viz. Dermott Brereton, Dwayne Russell.
    Add to those, Luke Darcy.....Mr Cliche, Hamish McLachlin, Basil Zempilas......all knobs.

Veterans List
    We don't feature in the 'Mark of the Round' top three much.....this week, twice!

Mark Of The Year - Round 6

Heen's was typically gutsy, Howe of Collingwoods was typically flashy but for a classic 'hanger', Fox gets my vote......

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    We don't feature in the 'Mark of the Round' top three much.....this week, twice!

Mark Of The Year - Round 6

Heen's was typically gutsy, Howe of Collingwoods was typically flashy but for a classic 'hanger', Fox gets my vote......
    Fox's might have been the most "classic" hanger but it was probably the easiest of the three to complete. I expect Howe's will win the overall nomination this week, but it is great (and unusual) for the Swans to feature twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    I concur. I took a mate - down from Sydney - to Docklands yesterday for his first ever AFL game. It was a scrappy affair that never reached any great heights. Neither of these two teams will figure late in September based on that performance. Given, they were both the tired losers from ANZAC Day games, but I can't see either Dees or Bombers getting anywhere near the pre- and early-season hype that was heaped upon them.

There was some good transition at stages but a lot of that was due to to poor forward pressure (from both teams). Lots of intercepts from misdirected kicks, handballs to no-one and dropped easy marks. I've seen better play at Port Melbourne games.

The 36,000 crowd never really got into the game either. Old mate enjoyed it but I think I let him down taking him to that game. I literally nearly fell asleep at one stage.
    Titus O'Reily had some great withering commentary on the state of football this year. Eg for this game:

"The first half was like both sides had thrown down the gauntlet to see who could destroy the hopes and dreams of their fans the most.@

Fittingly, both sides fumbled picking up that gauntlet for the entire first half until the Bombers emerged in the second half with it firmly in hand."

Reading his summaries leaves you with the feeling that about half the teams in this year's comp are total rubbish. Might be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    Titus O'Reily had some great withering commentary on the state of football this year. Eg for this game:

"The first half was like both sides had thrown down the gauntlet to see who could destroy the hopes and dreams of their fans the most.@

Fittingly, both sides fumbled picking up that gauntlet for the entire first half until the Bombers emerged in the second half with it firmly in hand."

Reading his summaries leaves you with the feeling that about half the teams in this year's comp are total rubbish. Might be true.
    But he is funny. Makes a change from the usual media doom and gloom.

Veterans List
    Sad news about Bomber Thompson......seems to have not handled the Essendon 'drugs' scandal fall out well at all. Charged today with drug trafficking offences. Real sad......

Sad news about Bomber Thompson......seems to have not handled the Essendon 'drugs' scandal fall out well at all. Charged today with drug trafficking offences. Real sad......
    Totally agree. Such a shame.

Personal use and I might feel sad. But alleged trafficking?! That�s just shocking if it is proven to be true.

Why did it take from January to May to act on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Why did it take from January to May to act on this ?
    I think that is pretty quick. The police do the investigation and put together a brief of evidence which then goes to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. The ODPP then has to study the brief and decide whether there is sufficient evidence to lay charges which have a reasonable prospect of conviction. These two steps need to be rigorous for charges to be sustained. I would not have been surprised after the raid in January if it had taken longer than four months.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I don't condone what he has done, but there is another point of view:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...02-p4zcws.html
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veteran Site Admin
    Thompson has been charged with some serious crimes but, at this stage, charged is all he is.

Please don't make allegations on RWO that go beyond what he has been charged with. It's potentially libellous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast