Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: Round 8 Swans v Hawthorn MCG Friday May 11 7.50 pm

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    McLachlan told the Herald Sun he had met Clarkson at the Hawthorn coach�s request with no idea of the topic.

He said he had not spoken to AFL football boss Steve Hocking about the contents of his meeting, which on Monday became public...

McLachlan and Clarkson are close friends and often meet, with the Hawks premiership coach determined to get his point across about how the game is played and officiated.

It is understood McLachlan agreed to meet him on Sunday night after several Clarkson text messages.

When Clarkson began to present a series of video grabs about blocking over breakfast, McLachlan listened to his message.

But Hocking and his new team have been separately working on how to minimise blocking in marking contests, believing it has crept into the game and stopped players flying for marks.

The AFL�s determination to stop defenders chopping the arms of forwards has meant defenders have got craftier as they attempt to stop goals.

Many including Sydney�s Dane Rampe, St Kilda�s Nathan Brown, Essendon�s Cale Hooker and Richmond�s David Astbury are masters at tactics such as pushing players under the ball with their body weight.
    Close friends - whatever happened to the concept of conflict of interest? Went out the window years ago in the AFL, started by the master of conflict of interest, Eddie McGuire. CEO part of the boys club - amateur hour. This sort of thing breeds huge resentment but journos and commentators pretend it's not happening because they fear biting the hand that feeds them.

So, going by what Clarkson says, every single buddy-centric ball that goes anywhere near the Bud should be called as a mark/free kick and gets him a shot on goal?
    This could actually work in our favour.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    So, going by what Clarkson says, every single buddy-centric ball that goes anywhere near the Bud should be called as a mark/free kick and gets him a shot on goal?
    This could actually work in our favour.
    If it weren't for that damn bruise...

I hope Papley, Hayward and Ronke have been practising the art of waving their arms around to alert the umpires to them being blocked in marking contests.

I've noticed Caro is putting out a lot of anti Gill articles lately. Not specific to the Clarkson issue, but finally a journo has seems through his BS.

On the topic of AFL CEOs, I never understood the hate that Demetriou seemed to receive on bigfooty. He wasn't perfect, but I thought he did a pretty good job. He was certainly a lot better than Gill, who seems to be completely clueless when it comes to both integrity and having a vision for the leage.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    On the topic of AFL CEOs, I never understood the hate that Demetriou seemed to receive on bigfooty. He wasn't perfect, but I thought he did a pretty good job. He was certainly a lot better than Gill, who seems to be completely clueless when it comes to both integrity and having a vision for the leage.
    Yes, there was a time, when I thought that the AFL did pretty well everything better than the NRL. I no longer think that is the case.

Demetriu stood up to the Victorian brotherhood which rumpled a few feathers. They couldn't appoint Gill quick enough.
    Demetriu did stuff up the essendon drug situation though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    He was brutal at times but would never have met McLachlan in these circumstances. It's management and leadership 101 to be at arms length.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I've noticed Caro is putting out a lot of anti Gill articles lately. Not specific to the Clarkson issue, but finally a journo has seems through his BS.
    Hope you're right Barry but fear if it came to crunch time, she would back AFL where she is/has been a favourite and has been fed stories.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Demetriu stood up to the Victorian brotherhood which rumpled a few feathers. They couldn't appoint Gill quick enough.
    Demetriu did stuff up the essendon drug situation though.
    Gil appears to be a very soft touch for the Vic clubs. Competition compromised already without Melbourne boys club love in.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Well Hawthorn�s defenders will have to change their tactics this week!
    No they don't, no frees will be paid against Hawthorn for this. The Swans on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    No they don't, no frees will be paid against Hawthorn for this. The Swans on the other hand...
    I am sure that there will be 17 other clubs watching how Hawthorn fares this week with the scrutiny on blocking.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    I am sure that there will be 17 other clubs watching how Hawthorn fares this week with the scrutiny on blocking.
    Yes, and one positive out of all this, is; if many people were undecided if they hated Hawthorn or not, quite a few of them will have now made up their minds.