Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 9 v Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I can't believe they'd play him if there was any chance of the heel getting sore again. Our forward line has been going OK without him - not that we won't be better for having him back in, but it's not exactly panic stations. It's still the midfield that most needs to lift to improve all around performance.

Liz, I think the midfield has become too predictable with Kennedy in there. When Joey is there they rely on him so much. But last week when they put him at CHF we won the midfield because we were unpredictable and the boys were sharing the load. I would like to see him play more forward and then rotate through the mids in a different capacity. By that I mean not being relied on so much and the set ups changing when he is in there so he has a more equal role to the other guys. As we set up now when he is in there he is the guy who storms the HO every time. We need to share that around a bit more and set up Joey not in the same position every time. He needs to be able to rotate around the stoppages with the other guys.

I think that would work better. It would take a lot of pressure off him and the other players would take more responsibility. It would also allow him to have freer movement around the edge of stoppages at times, setting up running players with his strong body and ball use. I thought late in the third and much of the last the young blokes took charge of the centre square and the stoppages around the ground and the figures back that up. We won more stoppages without him in the midfield last week than with him. That is because opponents are putting on such a heavy tag he is literally held out of the contest. When he's not there they can't do that and they don't have a clue what our young mids are going to do. Lovely situation to have.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    How hard is it to predict the team changes each week? No one predicted the backflip on Buddy but I am also really surprised that Towers is one of the guys omitted. He was down a bit last week but he has been really good in all his other games and provides at least an alternative in the ruck. I really liked McCartin's game last week but would think that Towers offers more than him right now.
    He was good earlier in the year, but down the past couple of weeks since he came back from his poke in the eye. Still, he won a couple of contests and gave nice hand-offs which led to goals, which is good. Also, with the ball in hand in the dying minute or so, he was going to blaze away and then put it down the line where it went out of bounds, which was a bit of a relief after some of his disasters a couple of years ago.

I'd like to see him get a longer run at it myself, but I can't deny that others offer more at this point.

Very surpised to see Buddy and Hanners back... I hope in particular Hanners is close to full fitness, as he is one of those players that really does struggle when not fully fit.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Awesome timing.
    Buddy gets blocked
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Goes up to 11
    Hopefully young McCartin can provide some sort of structure and focus up forward, allowing Buddy more freedom further up the ground. Buddy will be much better off hunting the ball up the ground rather than as a key forward dealing with two or three opponents under our long bombs. If he's fit.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We've lost it at selection, forward line can't possibly function with Buddy and Ronke!

We missed a bullet with no Stevic adjudicating the new interpretation, Reg would have given away a dozen frees! Good thing is we get to see the new interpretation in action so can see how it will be dealt with. No more blue murder for our backs, but also reckon Rance will no longer be CHB of the century!
    Rance is untouchable.

Pleasant surprise to see Bud back, though a bit unusual to be excluded due to injury on the Monday then brought back in before the game. You'd think Horse would err on the side of caution with Buddy?

Well thought through! Makes sense. Also, IMO he is playing lighter than he was in previous seasons. He certainly looks less bulky. The weight loss in an athlete, traditionally, is to give a player more speed. However it reduces strength. It maybe that he is being groomed for a different role as per your views. It would make sense to transition him away from the middle to lengthen his career, and maintain his relative injury-free status while the young guns cover the role. The cost of course is that JK is not getting the 30 odd possessions we used to see. I see it as part of the overall process of developing our team over the journey and not killing our treasures.

I think they have included McCartin to help them manage Buddy's game time. Doubt they'll spend too much time on the field together. Given they are both unfit I think this makes sense. I don't think Towers has they height to play this role. Still, Towers has been pretty good this year and I'm surprised he's been dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by AnsweredPrayers View Post
    Still, Towers has been pretty good this year and I'm surprised he's been dropped.
    I've been a Towers fan even through the calls for his dropping, sacking and death when he made those late game mistakes.
    But yo gotta show up every week, especially when there are other options in line to take your spot.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I've been a Towers fan even through the calls for his dropping, sacking and death when he made those late game mistakes.
    But yo gotta show up every week, especially when there are other options in line to take your spot.
    And it's probably a good sign, if you have to drop a player or two, who don't deserve to be dropped. Plus our NEAFL side is now starting to look pretty strong.

Warming the Bench
    I hope they haven't rushed Buddy back into the team too soon and the inclusion of Hanners is a big suspect. I think he should have had a game or 2 in the NEAFL before getting selected in the seniors.

With Buddy back in I thought it might be at the expense of McCartin but it was Towers who got omitted. It's going to be a busy night for Callum Sinclair and he won't do too well against Sandilands. However, he's more mobile than Sandilands.

All the punters are predicting the Swans to win but with our recent record at the SCG....This game is not a gimme. It will be interesting to see how the re-interpreted blocking rules are applied too. It would be hilarious if Whorethorn got beaten by the Lions.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sun View Post
    Rance is untouchable.

Pleasant surprise to see Bud back, though a bit unusual to be excluded due to injury on the Monday then brought back in before the game. You'd think Horse would err on the side of caution with Buddy?
    Did no one read what Horse said in regard to this 'shock' selection?

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast