Thread: Nick Smith - the Brownlow man

Veteran Site Admin

Nick Smith - the Brownlow man

There's an article on the AFL website about Nick Smith's upcoming 200th game (this weekend unless injured) that observes he is the current AFL player with the highest number of games but yet to record a Brownlow vote. He's only 10 games off the all-time record holder, Lonergan.

I must admit that took me by surprise a bit. Not that Smith has never received a Brownlow vote (back pockets rarely get noticed - indeed, it's his lack of getting noticed that makes him such a great defender) but that there aren't more defenders in the game who never received a vote.

Record looms for unsung 200-game Swan - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    I think it is just a point in case proving our feted 'umpires' know sweet FA about the game they adjudicate.......

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I must admit that took me by surprise a bit. Not that Smith has never received a Brownlow vote (back pockets rarely get noticed - indeed, it's his lack of getting noticed that makes him such a great defender) but that there aren't more defenders in the game who never received a vote.

Record looms for unsung 200-game Swan - AFL.com.au
    I'm thinking, (a) 200 is a lotta games; and (b) Nick Smith, as a player, is less sexy than most, even compared with other defenders. He doesn't rebound the ball spectacularly, he doesn't run and carry, he doesn't have a cannon of a boot, he is not exquisitely skilful, he isn't tall and so doesn't play on the glamour forwards. He is just tenacious, plays his role and competes hard - as well as martialling the troops around him. It's very hard to stand out above at least 41 other players on the field in these circumstances and get a Brownlow vote.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    They don't call it the midfielders' medal for nothing. And I assume that the next most noticed group would have to be the forwards.

Not that these notions should worry Smithy - the club and fans are well aware of his value. A guaranteed early selection every game, I bet.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

You would love to play with him and given some of the slippery, creative little freaks he has to mind on a weekly basis, how rarely does he get beat.

Sweet bugger all.

A total pro and a total champ. And long may he continue.

You'd think that if you get to be an All-Australian, you'd probably pick up at least one Brownlow vote along the way. I feel sure that all the guys that he's beaten, would have picked up plenty: when they didn't have Nick playing on them.

We'd have beaten Fremantle in the 2015 First Qualifying Final if Smooch had played. He's that important. Then a desperately needed week off and who knows from there?

If ifs and ands were pots and pans...

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    He won't get votes for last night either.

He has a job to do and he did it well last night.

If he wants votes he needs to blonde his hair, get some bright neon boots and be in the ear of the umpires all night.
    sprite