Thread: Josh Kennedy - 200 games for the Swans

Josh Kennedy - 200 games for the Swans

So, where do you rank him in our pantheon of players?

Me, and this is only the ones I�ve witnessed since getting into it early 90s:

* Plugger is a clear no1.

* Kelly and Goodes I jump between for two and three.

* I�ve got Kennedy next.

I love Micky O like nothing and Bazza Hall has claims, but JPK just pips them - and he sits a margin above the next rung like Kirk, O�Keefe, McVeigh, Hanners, Cresswell, the two Boltons, Leo, etc.

A truly great player and in my mind, the best centre square/clearance player in the AFL in the past decade. Others had more rounded games, but he�s an absolute beast in there.

Veteran Site Admin
    Where do you put Buddy in that ranking? Or does he need to play more games for the Swans before he enters the conversation.

Plugger is my number one but for sheer exhilaration/entertainment value, I can only split Goodes and Franklin based on number of games. (To expand, I have Goodes well ahead based on the sheer number of games he played for the Swans, but I'd have them about level for mean exhilaration per game, if that makes sense.)

To address the actual question posed by your thread, I have Kennedy pretty much level with Kirky. Kennedy's got a bigger physique and he can dominate in the middle in ways that Kirk couldn't. But Kirk played well above his physicality in oh so many games, and was just as inspirational as Kennedy. Both are behind Kelly in the midfielder stakes, for me, but still mighty fine Bloods and captains.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by I�m-uninformed2 View Post
    So, where do you rank him in our pantheon of players?

Me, and this is only the ones I�ve witnessed since getting into it early 90s:

* Plugger is a clear no1.

* Kelly and Goodes I jump between for two and three.

* I�ve got Kennedy next.

I love Micky O like nothing and Bazza Hall has claims, but JPK just pips them - and he sits a margin above the next rung like Kirk, O�Keefe, McVeigh, Hanners, Cresswell, the two Boltons, Leo, etc.

A truly great player and in my mind, the best centre square/clearance player in the AFL in the past decade. Others had more rounded games, but he�s an absolute beast in there.
    Agree with you re JPK but would rank Barry Hall equal with him. Absolute match winner for us. Buddy also equal with both of them at this stage.

Ha. I forgot Buddy. Holy crap.

Knew there was one.

On the same peg as a Goodes and Kelly.

Some great names mentioned there. Kelly is a favourite of mine, especially in the dark days of us being the whipping boys of the competition. Kelly would single handedly keep us in games - a true captain courageous playing with little support (a bit like Alan Border during the 80s). For this, he is number 1 in my time cheering for the swans.