Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Ronke - Round 8 Rising Star nomination

Veteran Site Admin

Ben Ronke - Round 8 Rising Star nomination

Dodgy Bali TV can't stop Rising Star's dad - AFL.com.au

Could have put this in the game day thread, but figured Ronke really deserves a thread of his own.

It's probably not a huge surprise he gets this week's nomination, though a few weeks of consistent form is usually required before getting a nod. I guess Ben's effort was just too spectacular to ignore.

I was listening to MMM Sydney (don't judge me) on the way home, their league show gave the player of the weekend to Ronke.
    I'm sure many of their listeners were unhappy, but it was nice to hear another code recognise how good he was, and talk about the stats involved

Interesting that had the Swans not drafted Ronke as a rookie Essendon could have drafted him as a rookie Cat. B under their Next Generation Academy (as his mother has some South African heritage). Ronke came from the Calder Cannons (TAC Cup) and before that St Bernard's under-19s. Clearly the Essendon NGA (which only started in 2016) had nothing to do with his introduction to AFL or his development. So pleased Kinnear Beatson got there first!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Interesting that had the Swans not drafted Ronke as a rookie Essendon could have drafted him as a rookie Cat. B under their Next Generation Academy (as his mother has some South African heritage). Ronke came from the Calder Cannons (TAC Cup) and before that St Bernard's under-19s. Clearly the Essendon NGA (which only started in 2016) had nothing to do with his introduction to AFL or his development. So pleased Kinnear Beatson got there first!
    Nothing like KB for satisfaction!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Well done Ben, that performance could never go unrewarded.

Re watching his goals, there's no flash in the pan about them, Ben can really play the game, he's already a best 22 IMO, KB has found another piece for our next decade. It's staggering given Ronke's U18 performances that he slipped to about pick 90 in the 2016 drafts.

As for the fact he was tied to Bombers through some flimsy mother is South African, what a load of crock the NGA rules are when his father played footy and Ben had always been a footy player. This is hardly getting kids across from other sports/disadvantaged backgrounds or whatever the very loose qualifications are.

Veterans List
    Not bad for someone who was "lucky" because the ball "fell into his lap". ????

What a joy it was to watch him live.
    When Rohan took that mark I could see Ronke sprinting into the forward line and I yelled out to Rohan ROOOONKE. (I'm sure Rohan heard me ????). As soon as he took the mark the Hawks supporters around me started leaving.

It was funny hearing the Hawks supporters during the game complaining why no one was near Ronke.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Veteran Site Admin
    His game was magnificent, but I'm even more impressed by his humility and demeanour since. You get a pretty clear feeling listening to his interview on the Swans' website that he's a bit over talking about it, and wants to move on to thinking about next week, yet he's still graceful enough to give open answers to the same questions he's been asked multiple times since Friday night.

Veterans List
    Ronke, what a great kid. It seems Kinnear Beatson is not only a good judge of footy talent but also of a persons character which is what makes him so important to not only the Swans performance on the park but it's integrity off it. Ronke is another massive tick for KB.

Blog Entries
    When he was zooming in for his second goal, I initially thought it was Rohan by his speed, then I realised he didn't have red hair.
    Outstanding return.
    Will be interesting to see how he goes now teams will do a little more homework on him.
    Will be even more interesting with him and Buddy in the F50.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    When he was zooming in for his second goal, I initially thought it was Rohan by his speed, then I realised he didn't have red hair.
    Outstanding return.
    Will be interesting to see how he goes now teams will do a little more homework on him.
    Will be even more interesting with him and Buddy in the F50.
    My thoughts as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast