Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rules and finals reminiscences (split from R9 changes thread)

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    So when I wrote "I'm sure all of us remember", and provided it as an example of West Coast shepherding the mark, I was a bit ga-ga as I clearly remembered very few of the details (other than it was outrageous and against Leo Barry). Still, it gave me (and maybe others) an opportunity to relive one of the more baffling decisions in the history of Swans games. Still, I wouldn't change a single thing about that wonderful 2005 finals series.

Thanks for hunting out some video footage.
    Very true Liz! Although I still get angry thinking about that decision, it does help enhance the "wonder" of the 2005 Premiership!
    Robbed in the Qualifying Final.
    Back from the dead thanks to Nick Davis in the Semi.
    An underdog/come from behind win in the Preliminary Final.
    And a magnificent win in a classic Grand Final! (Clinched by a Leo Barry screamer!!)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Very true Liz! Although I still get angry thinking about that decision, it does help enhance the "wonder" of the 2005 Premiership!
    Robbed in the Qualifying Final.
    Back from the dead thanks to Nick Davis in the Semi.
    An underdog/come from behind win in the Preliminary Final.
    And a magnificent win in a classic Grand Final! (Clinched by a Leo Barry screamer!!)
    That's karma.......but where has karma gone these days......because we are owed!!!!

Senior Player
    So when I wrote "I'm sure all of us remember", and provided it as an example of West Coast shepherding the mark, I was a bit ga-ga as I clearly remembered very few of the details (other than it was outrageous and against Leo Barry). Still, it gave me (and maybe others) an opportunity to relive one of the more baffling decisions in the history of Swans games. Still, I wouldn't change a single thing about that wonderful 2005 finals series.

Goodes was tripped near goal late in that game. McInerney was the ump on both occasions. Still going around. I still get a bit angry when I see him. Not that I hold a grudge or anything!

I'm glad we won the flag that year, or that outrageous decision would still haunt me... still makes me go what the eff? every time I see footage of it!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    The quality is very poor but this is a video of what happened with the Leo Barry free kick in the 2005 Qualifying Final.

Syndey vs West Coast- Stenglien free kick - YouTube

Leo was either running off the ground or making a lead and WCE Stenglein steps off the mark to bump him.
    Worst umpiring decision I've ever seen!
    Cost us the match! Would've cost a lesser team the Premiership!
    Cue 2005 finals series YouTube spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Cue 2005 finals series YouTube spiral.
    The Swans released a DVD 'collectors pack' which had all the Finals, Grand Final, and Sensational Swans in it which I bought.

A pity they didn't do the same in 2012. Only the Grand Final DVD that year.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    The Swans released a DVD 'collectors pack' which had all the Finals, Grand Final, and Sensational Swans in it which I bought.

There is a similar pack for 2012

Beyond Home Entertainment | Beyond Home Entertainment

Senior Player

Hey, thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Thanks Ugg, but I recorded all the finals myself and bought the DVD of the GF.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    100% Agree.

This has annoyed me for many years now.
    We protect the player kicking the ball with a zone, why not the player standing the mark as well.
    I absolutely hate it the way it is now - Hawthorn and Collingwood definitely the worst offenders. Would love to see it outlawed.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Thanks Ugg, but I recorded all the finals myself and bought the DVD of the GF.
    I got both dvd packs too. Just a pity that I don't have a working dvd player anymore. Dvd players are sooo 2012.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12