Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitzpatrick on Open Mike, Caro, Clarkson

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Ever watched Footy Classified? She is regularly critising the AFL mens club. She is no preferred AFL journo.
    When it comes to the crunch, she will back Gil, Eddie etc and toe the AFL line and do their bidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    When it comes to the crunch, she will back Gil, Eddie etc and toe the AFL line and do their bidding.
    Yeah, nah.

Veterans List
    In the Caroline Wilson article she also had a go at Mike Fitzpatrick's performance on Open Mike.

How can a Commissioner not know the rules of COLA??? How could he believe that it was only to be distributed amongst the younger players? And why did he believe that we used it to recruit Buddy and Tippett when it was clearly demonstrated that that wasn't the case??

No wonder we were given the trade ban. They really have no idea what they are doing at the AFL!! It is run by Muppets...(although that's probably harsh on Muppets).

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    I don't think so. While I don't agree with all that she says, I reckon she's taken more shots at Eddie, The Dill and the loathsome Fitzpatrick than any other journo I can think of.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Mike Fitzpatrick was on "Open Mike" this week which covered a wide range in the 30 mins available, which included only briefly Buddy & Goodsey (didn't record it, so going by my single viewing). When Sheahan brought up Buddy, Fitzpatrick reckoned he was happy Buddy went to the Swans even though he hoped he'd go to GWS to help kick start them like Plugger did with us (*cough *cough). Fitzpatrick played down his abusive phone call to Colless & queried whether Colless did record it. He proudly claimed he was the last defender of the Swans COLA, but had to remove it after we got Tippett & Buddy in successive years. Sheahan then said to Fitzpatrick "are you saying the Swans manipulated the Cola to get Tippett & Buddy?" (which he did very much came across like that). Fitzpatrick said no they didn't (probably to save himself from Swans legal action). Disappointed Sheahan did not raise & press him on the consequent trade ban.
    Thanks KSAS. That is amazing. A golden opportunity to do a great interview gone missing. Happy Buddy went to the Swans? The last defender of COLA? What a filthy liar.

Whats this about the abusive phone call to Colless? Haven't heard about that. Can you elaborate?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    I don't think so. While I don't agree with all that she says, I reckon she's taken more shots at Eddie, The Dill and the loathsome Fitzpatrick than any other journo I can think of.
    Part of the Melbourne footy mafia. What McLachlan did as CEO was a disgrace.She hasn't called it out.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, to me it seems that there are a decreasing number of journalists, that are prepared to ask powerful people tough questions. Using AFL as an example, firstly, there's those who actually work on the AFL site. You're probably not going to get much criticism of AFL management there. Then there's Fox Footy. Essential parts of the Fox business model, are to flog subscriptions to people who want to watch AFL and to get advertising revenue from ads shown during the breaks in AFL coverage. So, once again, we're probably going to get things reported in a manner that is friendly to the AFL. Then there's other TV stations and the newspapers. They've all had shrinking advertising revenue for years and consequently, the number of journalists employed has been shrinking. The often job insecure ones that remain, are more likely to tow the corporate line and to give favourable coverage to major advertisers: like the AFL.
    Which tends to leave a lot of frustrated media consumers thinking, "My god, why aren't they asking that bastard the obvious questions!"
    Its extremely conflicting that the AFL has their own journalists. How do you expect them to act independently when their boss is so biased? They will never report anything that their bosses aren't happy with. It's like an ABC journalist not complying with their bosses leftist agenda. It airn gonna happen.

Not so sure about that. Her history would show that a big headline is her goal regardless of who gets pee'd off. Her main weakness is a bias towards Richmond.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Part of the Melbourne footy mafia. What McLachlan did as CEO was a disgrace.She hasn't called it out.
    OK, so who has called it out MORE than she has? Who should she be more like?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Not so sure about that. Her history would show that a big headline is her goal regardless of who gets pee'd off. Her main weakness is a bias towards Richmond.
    Yep. I'm not necessarily suggesting she's noble. As Paul Keating said, always back self-interest because at least you know it's trying .....
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    OK, so who has called it out MORE than she has? Who should she be more like?

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. I'm not necessarily suggesting she's noble. As Paul Keating said, always back self-interest because at least you know it's trying .....
    There is no one to emulate. That is my point. Maybe best of a bad lot. She probably had to hectored by the Swans to write this. Didn't say boo about Clarkson and McLachlan off her own bat. To be fair to her, she has been known to criticise Clarkson, but goes very easy on Gil.

Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    Whats this about the abusive phone call to Colless? Haven't heard about that. Can you elaborate?
    Widely reported at the time. Never denied by Fitzpatrick. His performance on Open Mike was a masterclass in dissembling.

I don't love or hate Caro.
    Sometimes I agree with her, sometimes I don't.
    But I've always put her in the basket of saying what she thinks and not holding back.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast