Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fitzpatrick on Open Mike, Caro, Clarkson

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    There is no one to emulate. That is my point. Maybe best of a bad lot. She probably had to hectored by the Swans to write this. Didn't say boo about Clarkson and McLachlan off her own bat. To be fair to her, she has been known to criticise Clarkson, but goes very easy on Gil.
    OK, but it's also my point too. If she's the best of a bad lot, how about you direct your criticism to the WORST, or even mid-ranking, of the bad lot rather than the best of the bad lot? What purpose is served by bagging the "best" - the one journo who by your own assessment is MOST favourable to us, above all others? She's one of the few I can think of in recent years who as been prepared to say anything even vaguely pro-Swans. In fact, I feel she's becoming more outspoken as time goes by. Anyone in Eddie's pocket refuses (and there are plenty of them - I'm talking to you Foxtel F-wits). Caro at least has been critical of both the Toxic Dwarf and The Dill over the journey.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

The worst of all 'experts' are Frawley and Gaze. I just can't listen to a word from either of them.
    At least when the Footy Show hit the highs of spewing crap it was funny.
    I like Mooney, and to a lesser degree Dunstall, but they sink to big lows with the others on that show.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    Widely reported at the time. Never denied by Fitzpatrick. His performance on Open Mike was a masterclass in dissembling.
    Correct. Swans had kept their plans to get Buddy a secret from the AFL, who thought it was fait accompli he was going to GWS as they (Fitzpatrick) had orchestrated. So when Buddy announced he was signing with the Swans, Fitzpatrick was so peed off he rang Colless and called him a F & C. Colless fired back saying that he knows Fitzpatrick broke the AFL's own rules by having third parties involved in paying Buddy's Salary with the deal they had set up with GWS. There was speculation Colless might've had this phone conversation recorded.

P.S Only KB, Colless, Longmire, McVeigh (Capt) and Liam Pickering (Buddy's Manager) knew Buddy was going to the Swans from almost 12 months out. This is why the secret was so well kept and took the AFL world by complete surprise.
    Last edited by KSAS; 19th May 2018 at 01:25 AM.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Caroline Wilson article in The Age today talking about Clarkson and Longmire burying the hatchet . Good description of Swans anger and disappointment over Clarkson's comments and McLachlan's meeting with him. She still doesn't criticise McLachlan directly. Frightened to lose her preferred AFL journo status.
    Disagree about Wilson. I find her constant and pointed criticisms of the AFL on �Footy Classified� aggressive, apparently constructive, and always rather courageous.

Why didnt we use the threat of the recorded confession of third party deals to pressure Fitzpatrick when the trade ban came in. ?

Bad as he was, I think he really was the only pro expansion commissioner.

If it wasn't for the swans exception management, we'd have 4 basket case northern clubs.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    Disagree about Wilson. I find her constant and pointed criticisms of the AFL on �Footy Classified� aggressive, apparently constructive, and always rather courageous.
    You're right. While I don't like the way she belittles people who have a different opinion to her, I think she's fearless and not beholden to anyone. She's was an aggressive critic of the AFL regarding its handling of Goodesy when it was happening and still voices her displeasure about it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Velour&Ruffles View Post
    OK, but it's also my point too. If she's the best of a bad lot, how about you direct your criticism to the WORST, or even mid-ranking, of the bad lot rather than the best of the bad lot? What purpose is served by bagging the "best" - the one journo who by your own assessment is MOST favourable to us, above all others? She's one of the few I can think of in recent years who as been prepared to say anything even vaguely pro-Swans. In fact, I feel she's becoming more outspoken as time goes by. Anyone in Eddie's pocket refuses (and there are plenty of them - I'm talking to you Foxtel F-wits). Caro at least has been critical of both the Toxic Dwarf and The Dill over the journey.
    Maybe she is becoming more outspoken of late and I've missed it but let's wait and see. McLachlan's meeting with Clarkson was an absolute shocker and there wasn't a word from her initially.

Senior Player
    Just read Caros article. A great read

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Have now read that piece. The thing about good journos is that they can say a lot with their choice of words, without having to make their point absolutely directly. Caro is saying that Fitzpatrick is an arrogant asshole who doesn't even know the basics of what he's talking about .... she's just been a little more subtle than that. She clearly also thinks the non-Vic clubs get rogered by the hierarchy and that Clarkson is a protected species ("Being Clarkson, he got away with ....", "...indulged ..." etc). The fact that there's no "in Clarkson's defence..." or "what the non-Victorian club's don't understand ...." type balancing comment tells you everything. I don't see any reason to be disappointed in this piece or feel that she's gone easy on them.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

I watched that Fitzpatrick interview and I was disgusted by his lack of knowledge of the COLA rules that he was actually managing, his cynical attitude towards the swans and their drafting of Buddy, and the dismissive attitude towards the appalling booing of Adam. In addition what he said about the Essendon injection saga was gob smacking and if I was a bombers player or fan I would be disgusted.

The whole interview gave me the impression that this was a person who didn't give a toss for the non victorian AFL teams, this was a person who only thought of himself and what he could get out it, and I was very disappointed that such a senior AFL executive could be so casual and slack in his answers to some tough questions. It is a pity Mike did not push harder at some of the responses by Fitzpatrick.

I think in that interview he lost a great lot of credibility.

Veterans List
    Wilson almost the only one worthy of the tag journalist. The footy media is of a low standard, some of them are jokes. Thought Wilson's article hit points that the AFL won't like one bit.

Previous poster mention Fitzpatrick and credibility in the same sentence - wrong!

Didn't Fitz say when pushed by Mike that he was angry the Swans got Buddy and that he did want Buddy to go to GWS.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast