Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fitzpatrick on Open Mike, Caro, Clarkson

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny40519 View Post
    Didn't Fitz say when pushed by Mike that he was angry the Swans got Buddy and that he did want Buddy to go to GWS.
    He didn't even need to be pushed to say that. He came right out with it. And I don't have a problem with the fact that Mike wanted Buddy to go to GWS. If you put yourself in the Commission's shoes at the time, the idea of a marquee player signing with their new, struggling franchise must have seemed to be a dream come true. Put this together with the feeling that Buddy was looking to get out of Melbourne, and the location of his fianc�e meaning that Sydney (the city) was his desired location, it must have seemed perfect.

That doesn't excuse his dummy spit when things panned out differently.

Mike didn't push Fitzpatrick hard on the post-Buddy response by the AFL, which isn't surprising because Open Mike rarely shapes up as anything other than a cosy, fire-side chat.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar

I think in that interview he lost a great lot of credibility.
    You can't lose something you don't have.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

Recently appeared on the AFL site, is something of a puff piece on Clarkson and his recent actions. If you don't have a strong constitution, I recommend reading it with a nearby sick bag.
    Apparently by raising important issues, he is helping to educate the public.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Recently appeared on the AFL site, is something of a puff piece on Clarkson and his recent actions. If you don't have a strong constitution, I recommend reading it with a nearby sick bag.
    Apparently by raising important issues, he is helping to educate the public.
    Just read it and the bag is now full.

What a load of AFL generated crap !

So the little thug is now football operations manager.

Just enhances my view of what a DH he is.

Veteran Site Admin
    The problem in this situation is with McLachlan more than Clarkson. Surely McLachlan can see there is a problem meeting regularly with one of the incumbent coaches of one team to discuss rule interpretations, while not affording that same privilege to representatives from the other 17 clubs. And if he can't, I suggest the Commission should, and should instruct McLachlan to stop these meetings.

Once Clarkson is retired and no longer connected with any club, there's no issue with him expressing his views to the competition administration, though you'd like to think the administration would make a point of listening to a wide array of voices.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The problem in this situation is with McLachlan more than Clarkson. Surely McLachlan can see there is a problem meeting regularly with one of the incumbent coaches of one team to discuss rule interpretations, while not affording that same privilege to representatives from the other 17 clubs. And if he can't, I suggest the Commission should, and should instruct McLachlan to stop these meetings.

Once Clarkson is retired and no longer connected with any club, there's no issue with him expressing his views to the competition administration, though you'd like to think the administration would make a point of listening to a wide array of voices.
    And we no loonger need to perpetuate the discussion, as this is all that needs to be said.
    the biggest shock in all this is that there has not been more pressure on Gil for explanations.
    Not for the first time. It was in the interest of all clubs to make the AFL and Gil accountable for the sanctions imposed on the Swans for 'not breaking any rules' as one day they may be the ones out in the cold unfairly.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Just read it and the bag is now full.

What a load of AFL generated crap !

So the little thug is now football operations manager.

Just enhances my view of what a DH he is.
    I'm sorry. I hope that you read it before lunch and that you can now refill with a nice meal.

Warming the Bench
    I don�t want to burst your bubbles, but it�s important to understand that what you are looking at is a bunch of blokes who are connected through school, junior footy, professional footy, family, coaching jobs, media roles, AFL admin roles and are firm friends.

It would be naive to think that key figures from several clubs don�t regularly catch up with key figures in the media and key figures from AFL administration in a social context. Footy is the main thing that links them together so logic would suggest they discuss footy. This would happen A LOT.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

The problem is more with McLachlan and how the media, including Caroline Wilson, have unbelievably, apart from Robert Walls, said nothing about the impropriety of the meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    The problem is more with McLachlan and how the media, including Caroline Wilson, have unbelievably, apart from Robert Walls, said nothing about the impropriety of the meeting.
    And Malthouse.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    And Malthouse.
    Walls and Malthouse two old school guys who have never been part of the love in.

There is and has been for quite some time, a cultural issue at afl house. Gil strikes me as a guy who seeks approval from others. Not a great trait in a ceo.

Fitzpatrick quite the opposite. He was at the apex of a board structure with a fiduciary responsibility but his admissions of how things rolled in this interview is disturbing. All the more so because of his stadium involvement at olympic park. One wonders what sydney's desire to exit that deal had on his feelings about the club.

Turgid, the whole thing.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast