Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 10, Swans vs Lions, Gabba

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Rewatched the whole Brisbane game after watching it piecemeal live. Knowing what was going to happen allows you to concentrate on certain things. I reckon McCartin needs to go back to NEAFL, had almost zero influence and Stoddart does not look up to the standard yet, he also had little influence and turned the ball over several times. We can't afford to gift games to players who have no influence particularly when we get this from Kennealy - "while Newman backed up a best-on-ground performance against Southport last week with another stand-out showing in defence and the midfield.

The elegant left-footer was particularly important to Sydney�s rebound off half-back and followed up last week�s two-goal return with another double.

Kennelly said in the lead-up to the match O�Riordan hadn�t played a bad game this season � and the third-year Swan again starred in defence as he continued to push his case for an AFL debut.

The 22-year-old was strong in the pack, took a number of expert intercept and uncontested marks, was pivotal to the Swans� ball movement off half-back and collected a goal."

These are guys that should be getting games, any talk about McCartin providing a tall target is nonsense when he is having so little impact, give me a mature hard at it player who can get the footy like Newman, adds to our fleet of quick clever forwards buzzing around kicking a winning score. Give the ultra consistent mature bodied O'Riordan the chance he deserves of HBF or wing. We have to have better players settled in the side for when the tough run starts in three weeks.
    I was at the game. Very very wet and no tall forward had a major influence from both sides. We need another tall apart from Buddy and Mccartin, while very raw, has done a good job in dry conditions. Maybe Cameron replaces him to give Sinclair a chop out because we struggled big time against Martin on Saturday. Otherwise, McCartin gets another gig, especially against the Blues. Hopefully it is dry.

Warming the Bench
    Beams and Robinson were both great for the Lions
    But Rampe and Grundy deserved the votes imho

3. Rampe
    2. Beams
    1. Grundy
    Heeney unlucky - Clean hands were huge

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    A footy jumper is a footy jumper. No Aussie Rules player has ever worn a footy top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Ah ha! But the Swans are referring to their indigenous �jumper� as their indigenous �guernsey�. Admittedly they don�t call it an indigenous �top�. But if they did some of us (well Mel and I anyway) would know what they meant!
    It's a guernsey.

- - - Updated - - -

I got a bit worried when I saw how wet it was... we're not used to rain in Sydney as it hasn't rained for months.
    What a scrappy game that was.
    If it wasn't for our backs, they would have walked all over us.
    500 inside 50s in the final quarter for the opposition team is a BAD thing, m'kay.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    I went into this game wanting to like brisbane but came out of it not liking them! They were pretty nasty at times, lots of snipey pushing and shoving, especially one tall blonde guy.
    I reckon that's how a lot of people would see our boys too. Every one of our games (since not standing up for Mills) has started out with plenty of push and shove. I didn't notice it in past years.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Rewatched the whole Brisbane game after watching it piecemeal live. Knowing what was going to happen allows you to concentrate on certain things. I reckon McCartin needs to go back to NEAFL, had almost zero influence and Stoddart does not look up to the standard yet, he also had little influence and turned the ball over several times. We can't afford to gift games to players who have no influence particularly when we get this from Kennealy - "while Newman backed up a best-on-ground performance against Southport last week with another stand-out showing in defence and the midfield.

The elegant left-footer was particularly important to Sydney�s rebound off half-back and followed up last week�s two-goal return with another double.

Kennelly said in the lead-up to the match O�Riordan hadn�t played a bad game this season � and the third-year Swan again starred in defence as he continued to push his case for an AFL debut.

The 22-year-old was strong in the pack, took a number of expert intercept and uncontested marks, was pivotal to the Swans� ball movement off half-back and collected a goal."

These are guys that should be getting games, any talk about McCartin providing a tall target is nonsense when he is having so little impact, give me a mature hard at it player who can get the footy like Newman, adds to our fleet of quick clever forwards buzzing around kicking a winning score. Give the ultra consistent mature bodied O'Riordan the chance he deserves of HBF or wing. We have to have better players settled in the side for when the tough run starts in three weeks.
    Could not agree more, while it's nice to see these young kids get a game, it shouldn't be at the expense of more senior players who deserve it more.

You couldn't tell me that Towers and Newman (or even Robinson and Fox) wouldn't have had a bigger influence than the two youngsters on the weekend. We wouldn't want to drop one of the games in the easy run we've currently got or Horse and co are going to have egg on their face

Veteran Site Admin
    Just on the selection of the youngsters, after the first few weeks, many on here were questioning the worth of Florent and/or Hayward to the team after quietish outings. But the coaches persisted and now both of them are making consistently strong contributions.

I think the coaches will be pretty happy with the overall contribution of McCartin over his three games. That doesn't mean he necessarily keeps his spot long term, but clearly the coaches are prepared to play the long game for players they think are not far off best 22.

I would like to see Cameron get a shot and his NEAFL form suggests he's earned it. If he comes in, it would almost certainly need to be at the expense of McCartin, and it would relive some of the massive workload that Sinclair has been shouldering in the ruck. It just comes down to whether that (and Cameron's stronger body) is sufficient to counter the greater mobility of McCartin and his ability to get to lots of contests (even if he's not outright winning them).

I was a little surprised by Stoddart's selection as his NEAFL games had been solid rather than outstanding. I reckon the coaches remembered his pre-season games where he looked comfortable and effective in senior company. He did well enough for a first game, though with four or five mid-sized players doing very well in the NEAFL side, it remains to be seen how long he'll last.

Yeah, there's that but also kids need games to see what it's like at the highest level.
    Hard to have them aspire to play in the seniors when they don't know what's required first hand.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yeah, there's that but also kids need games to see what it's like at the highest level.
    Hard to have them aspire to play in the seniors when they don't know what's required first hand.
    I'm not sure that's very sound reasoning CTS, if it was everyone on the list should get a game during the season.

The primary aim of a football club is to win premierships, and while part of that process is introducing new blood, it shouldn't be at the expense of more deserving players. Robinson, Towers, Fox, Newman and O'Riordan would all be justified in wondering why Stoddart was gifted a game in front of them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging Stoddart. He looked OK on Saturday in difficult conditions, but if I was picking a team to win the game I'm confident that the first four I listed (I can't comment on O'Riordan) would have had a much greater impact than Riley

Stoddart seemed like a selection based on opposition. Good chance to get 3-2 games to him over the coming weeks, see how he copes and then send him back with a hunger to return.

People complaining about Newman, O'Riordan, Cameron, Aliir etc not getting games.. you can't take out a McCartin and bring one of them in unless they fill that specific role. McCartin is playing the role they needed from Reid. Competing in the air, and we are seeing the smalls benefit.

The challenge for a lot of the guys in the 2s is that our back line and midfield are very stable and settled, so options don't come up a lot. It looks like Newman isn't liked for his lack of 2-way running and may be short on chances

Not suggesting that they play for extended times.
    They still need to earn their stripes, but when they are close, there is merit in exposure to the pace and aggression etc of the seniors.
    Pretty sure I called for McCartin to be dropped last week. If I didn't, no big deal, I wouldn't have minded if he was.

Did Stoddart do more than Rohan?
    I reckon on stats he may have at least done as well in his first game.
    'On stats' are the key words that some will point out.
    I'd reply with the other key words 'in his first game'

I have no idea why Stoddard was selected over others who get continually discussed here.
    Shame we don't get that feedback, which I'm sire is fair and reasonable and would allow the club to be seen in a much more engaging and connected way.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I have no idea why Stoddard was selected over others who get continually discussed here.
    Shame we don't get that feedback, which I'm sire is fair and reasonable and would allow the club to be seen in a much more engaging and connected way.
    Sydney do a dreadful job with their club run media. There is never any real insight, the audio is usually terrible quality, the hosts are stale and don't know much about anything. The local outlets just push out puff pieces for them on a weekly basis. There's never any real analysis or assessment in the press.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes

10 Beams
    6 Hewett
    4 Robinson
    3 Gardiner
    3 Martin
    2 Kennedy
    1 Andrews
    1 Jones

Beams 5-5
    Hewett 4-2