Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 49 to 60 of 71

Thread: #AFL Round 10, Swans vs Lions, Gabba

  1. #49
    Regular in the Side Matty10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southbank, VIC
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I reckon that's how a lot of people would see our boys too. Every one of our games (since not standing up for Mills) has started out with plenty of push and shove. I didn't notice it in past years.
    Maybe we just rolled over in the past.

    I like that Darcy Gardiner ended up with a fine at least for his tough guy act against Hayward (pick on someone your own size!) - but I liked Heeney’s reaction even more.

    I take your point though, we should not be encouraging violence. The acts I dislike are the unnecessary “rub it in your face” moments - particularly after a successful holding the ball tackle. All teams do it - and it just reads as bad sportsmanship.

  2. #50
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes

    10 Beams
    6 Hewett
    4 Robinson
    3 Gardiner
    3 Martin
    2 Kennedy
    1 Andrews
    1 Jones

    Beams 5-5
    Hewett 4-2
    Robinson 4-0
    Gardiner 3-0
    Martin 3-0
    Kennedy 2-0
    Andrews 1-0
    Jones 1-0
    Mmm. 21 votes to 9. Just lucky I saw the scores before I read that!

  3. #51
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes

    10 Beams
    6 Hewett
    4 Robinson
    3 Gardiner
    3 Martin
    2 Kennedy
    1 Andrews
    1 Jones

    Beams 5-5
    Hewett 4-2
    Robinson 4-0
    Gardiner 3-0
    Martin 3-0
    Kennedy 2-0
    Andrews 1-0
    Jones 1-0
    Some oddness here. Given the same coach must have given Hewett 4 and Kennedy 2 (couldn't give them both to Hewett), the other coach must have given their 5, 4 and 3 votes to Lions players. Seems a bit over the top. Also surprising the other coach didn't give Robinson a vote.

  4. #52
    Senior Player Swansongster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    St Kilda West
    Posts
    1,223
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Some oddness here. Given the same coach must have given Hewett 4 and Kennedy 2 (couldn't give them both to Hewett), the other coach must have given their 5, 4 and 3 votes to Lions players. Seems a bit over the top. Also surprising the other coach didn't give Robinson a vote.
    Can't imagine Horse giving 5-4-3 to Lions players. So he must have given four to Hewett. Agreed some oddities.

    1. Horse not that happy with the effort of his team? - 5 (Beams), 4 (Hewett), 3 (Gardiner or Martin), 2 (Kennedy) and 1 (Jones)
    2. Fagan very ungenerous to the victors. - 5 (Beams), 4 (Robinson), 3 (Gardiner or Martin), 2 (Hewett) and 1 (Andrews).

  5. #53
    Senior Player dejavoodoo44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes

    10 Beams
    6 Hewett
    4 Robinson
    3 Gardiner
    3 Martin
    2 Kennedy
    1 Andrews
    1 Jones

    Beams 5-5
    Hewett 4-2
    Robinson 4-0
    Gardiner 3-0
    Martin 3-0
    Kennedy 2-0
    Andrews 1-0
    Jones 1-0
    Personally, I would have given Gardiner a week or two, rather than votes.

  6. #54
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Can't imagine Horse giving 5-4-3 to Lions players. So he must have given four to Hewett. Agreed some oddities.

    1. Horse not that happy with the effort of his team? - 5 (Beams), 4 (Hewett), 3 (Gardiner or Martin), 2 (Kennedy) and 1 (Jones)
    2. Fagan very ungenerous to the victors. - 5 (Beams), 4 (Robinson), 3 (Gardiner or Martin), 2 (Hewett) and 1 (Andrews).
    I think you're right. I also think Fagan's 3 votes went to Gardiner noting these comments: Beams still leading by example: Fagan - Beams still leading by example: Fagan - AFL.com.au. Also can't see Longmire giving Gardiner 3 given his thuggery.

  7. #55
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Maybe we just rolled over in the past.

    I like that Darcy Gardiner ended up with a fine at least for his tough guy act against Hayward (pick on someone your own size!) - but I liked Heeney’s reaction even more.

    I take your point though, we should not be encouraging violence. The acts I dislike are the unnecessary “rub it in your face” moments - particularly after a successful holding the ball tackle. All teams do it - and it just reads as bad sportsmanship.
    Can't believe Gardiner got away with a fine! Two punches fairly flush on Hayward's face......

    In regard to the 'rub it in your face' moments....I agree with your assessment. It's bad sportsmanship as well as acting like they're king for doing one good thing......all I can say is, they'd better be able to back it up time and time again to warrant that sort of 'I am' carry on.

  8. #56
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Can't believe Gardiner got away with a fine! Two punches fairly flush on Hayward's face.......
    Yep, it should have been classified as ‘striking’ and graded intentional, low impact, high contact = a one match suspension.

    To get the result Hocking/Christian wanted it was instead classified as ‘misconduct’ which has a financial penalty at the MRO’s discretion.

  9. #57
    Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    816
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Maybe we just rolled over in the past.

    I like that Darcy Gardiner ended up with a fine at least for his tough guy act against Hayward (pick on someone your own size!) - but I liked Heeney’s reaction even more.

    I take your point though, we should not be encouraging violence. The acts I dislike are the unnecessary “rub it in your face” moments - particularly after a successful holding the ball tackle. All teams do it - and it just reads as bad sportsmanship.
    Heeney never takes a backward step. Also didnot mine McCartin stepping in. Good sign for such a young kid.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #58
    I'm surprised that people liked Stoddart so much. I've only seen the first half of this game so far, and he didn't much impress me. Was he better in the second half?

  11. #59
    Carpe Noctem CureTheSane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Knoxfield, Victoria
    Posts
    4,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I'm surprised that people liked Stoddart so much. I've only seen the first half of this game so far, and he didn't much impress me. Was he better in the second half?
    To me he looked kinda out of place and a bit lost at times.
    But...
    ....his first game....
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

  12. #60
    RWOs Black Sheep AnnieH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    At Goodesy's Place
    Posts
    10,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I'm surprised that people liked Stoddart so much. I've only seen the first half of this game so far, and he didn't much impress me. Was he better in the second half?
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    To me he looked kinda out of place and a bit lost at times.
    But...
    ....his first game....
    He kicked a goal!!
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO