Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best set shot in team

Best set shot in team

Looking at some of the pocket profiles on the Swans' website when asked who is the best set shot quite a few players have nominated George Hewitt.

Also when asked who is their least favourite to share accommodation with when away Rampe seems up there (apparently he smells). Not sure if they are taking the mickey out of him or not.

Senior Player
    Will Haywood or Ben Ronke for me

I used to think Macca was the guy I would want kicking for me to save my life (e.g. - thinking of a particular, difficult set shot in the 2012 GF that was just so critical in turning that game around) but he doesn't get near the goal that often any more because he is now so good at settling and resolving problems down back.

Warming the Bench
    Used to be Parker for me but he now struggles
    Towers is fairly reliable
    But happy to take Hewitt

I now always feel pretty relaxed, when Hayward is lining up from inside the fifty. Outside the fifty, Buddy can often make it look simple.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    Used to be Parker for me but he now struggles...
    And I thought Heeney then took up that mantle but he has been pretty bad in front of goal this year.
    Haywards kicking at 17.6 (74%) this year. No idea how many are set shots but I would guess the majority.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And I thought Heeney then took up that mantle but he has been pretty bad in front of goal this year.
    Haywards kicking at 17.6 (74%) this year. No idea how many are set shots but I would guess the majority.
    JPK very reliable when gets chance

Nick Smith???

Remember that free kick he got about on the goal circle at the SCG sometime in last couple of seasons? Might have been a 50 metre penalty that brought him up that far. Kicked it OOB on the full ????.

Damn good defender though.

Senior Player
    Hewett and Hayward are good - the latter has improved this year. But I reckon Jake Lloyd.

As Dennis used to say if your life depends on someone shooting for goal, pick your mum. At least you know she's trying.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Hewett and Hayward are good - the latter has improved this year. But I reckon Jake Lloyd.
    Yep, Lloyd doesn't take many shots but he's very reliable, even from distances that you'd think would trouble him.

Hayward and Hewett are definitely in the conversation and I'd have Parker there too. (I don't agree with the poster a little above that said he's gone off the boil a bit - I think the memory of that close range shot he kicked into the man on the mark is strong for most of us, but I still think he's generally a reliable shot, especially from tightish angles.)

Heeney should be a good set shot, and I think at times he has been. This year he's definitely been off, but I reckon by the end of his career his record won't be bad.

I reckon Hanners isn't too bad either, so long as the shot is fairly central or to the right hand side of the ground. He should be banned from taking shots from the left hand side of the forward zone, where he invariably kicks them way OOBOTF, whether from a set shot or "on the run".

I think Ronke has too small a sample to be rated yet. Of the 12 goals he's kicked thus far, I think only three have been from set shots, and one of those was from the goal square.

Blog Entries
    Based on scoring shots only.
    Attachment 2148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast