Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: #AFL Round 11 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Fyfe's appeal dismissed - huh. I find it interesting that a number of media commentators (the entire panel of The Age Real Footy Podcast for example) thought he'd get off. I do wonder whether Brownlow bias (or subconscious anticipation of it) affected that analysis. The analysis surprised me - as I said before, the finding looked right to me: avoidable elbow to the head.

Bummer to read Charlie Cameron is out for the year. I was enjoying him playing well for Brisbane. A dude and team that I wish well.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Fyfe's appeal dismissed - huh. I find it interesting that a number of media commentators (the entire panel of The Age Real Footy Podcast for example) thought he'd get off. I do wonder whether Brownlow bias (or subconscious anticipation of it) affected that analysis. The analysis surprised me - as I said before, the finding looked right to me: avoidable elbow to the head.

Bummer to read Charlie Cameron is out for the year. I was enjoying him playing well for Brisbane. A dude and team that I wish well.
    Seriously, the Mitchell let off earlier in the year is looking worse and worse. If he wins...
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veterans List
    Brisbane do not have luck with injuries, year after year.....it's just another negative that affects their ability to retain good players. If they'd retained half of those who have left in recent years, they would more than likely be playing finals. I too wish them well......I really enjoyed the three-peat years.

Veterans List
    Wow.....I like Hardwick but this pisses me off a bit.

Dimma defends Rance, Dee locked in - AFL.com.au

Rance is a repeat offender........

Veteran Site Admin

I don't know whether the facts back this up, but I get the impression that the whole competition is having a particularly bad run with long term, season ending injuries. There don't seem to have been as many ACLs this year but lots of other high quality players are already out for the year and we're barely halfway through. Even the Swans, who seem to fare a little better than other clubs on the "luck" side when it comes to injuries, are already three players down for the remainder of the season. (Four if you count Tippett). Dawson has already missed half a season. Reid and Melican the best part of half a season and with no date in sight of when they might return.

The carnage seemed especially bad this past weekend, with Lever, Cameron and Hall amongst those suffering season ending injuries, Crouch confirmed as out for the rest of the year, and a host of quality players suffering 4+ week injuries - such as Darling, Zaharakis, May, Dickson.

I was really disappointed to see Ratugolea go down the previous weekend. He's been one of this year's debutants that I've particularly enjoyed watching.

Well interviewing Hannah Mouncey looked to have Mike (open Mike) pretty stumped.
    He didn�t know how to look or where to look !
    Hannah was very together , and aspires to play in the AFLW . She used to captain the men�s national hand ball team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Wow.....I like Hardwick but this pisses me off a bit..
    Hardwick was an absolute grub of a player. I have zero respect for him.
    C'mon Chels!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by I�m-uninformed2 View Post
    Here�s what I know. I�m friends through work with two people at the Swans - a board member, and a staff member.

I don�t pretend to know what Horse thought directly. But I do know from the other two the entire club - from the board to the coaching staff to the players - were irate after the 2016 GF. It wasn�t so much a direct claim of conspiracy, but the sense the umpiring that day was both clearly bad and clearly that all the mistakes favoured one side.

They particularly felt the decision against Jack and 50m just prior to half time when the Dogs when forward and kicked a goal was a big turning point, and one the AFL subsequently admitted was wrong. We went from building off Kennedy�s all time quarter and having a decent lead, to a thin margin and them with momentum.

The club was privately seething about the whole affair but couldn�t say anything. Can you imagine a �loser� in a GF raising umpiring?
    Longmire has said they err 'had a chat with the AFL' after the 2016 gf. I suspect the club would have made it quite clear we got shafted so that the AFL could have a fairy tale. In the week after the 2016 gf there was much back patting and glorification of the dogs. The media milked it for all it was worth. The AFL made a statement that the 'umpiring wasn't up to standard' during that time but it got lost in all the bulldogs celebrations. Recently, an article about the Bulldogs in the Herald Sun said something along the lines of 'we got lucky in the 2016 final series'. They interviewed Chris Grant who had a few revealing things to say.

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    Hardwick was an absolute grub of a player. I have zero respect for him.
    He was.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456