Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Isaac Heeney

12 92.31%
  • Callum Mills

1 7.69%

Thread: Heeney vs Mills

Heeney vs Mills

Every punter seems to opinion that the younger Mills will be the better player over their careers. From what I've seen, Heeney has the ability to be the best player in the comp, and while I think Mills will be an exceptional player, I can't see how he will surpass Heeney.

Their stats are remarkably similar at this point:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...&fid1=C&fid2=C

What do you see?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Hard to say who will be best as they are playing different roles. They both play their roles well. Mills will become a player like Macca. I was thinking last night watching the game Heeney just shows up at important time to take marks around the ground and kick goals. Will be interesting to see who becomes the best.

Heeney seems to make decisions quicker, gets rid of the ball quicker, has more speed in general and has a better sense of what is around him.

I think Mills is a huge loss for us this season, and although we are winning now I am a little worried about our defensive capabilities in terms of standing up to finals pressure (although this can be mitigated by forward and midfield pressure). Mills reads the play so well and is brave to the point of stupidity in placing himself in harms way.

I have never seen Mills play a game in the middle so it is somewhat hard to imagine the transition, but James Hird was not particularly fleet of foot or quick with his ball movement and seemed to do okay - some players can just read the well that all other limitations are forgotten.

Time will tell, I suppose.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Robtorq View Post
    Hard to say who will be best as they are playing different roles. They both play their roles well. Mills will become a player like Macca. I was thinking last night watching the game Heeney just shows up at important time to take marks around the ground and kick goals. Will be interesting to see who becomes the best.
    or kick points from almost gimme positions! Needs to fix his kicking, should have had 2-3 more goals last night, same very week :-(

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    or kick points from almost gimme positions! Needs to fix his kicking, should have had 2-3 more goals last night, same very week :-(
    Gun player but his finishing needs to get better as well as his field kicking. Some of his field kicking is brilliant but it is inconsistent. Parker is also a gun but sometimes tries for too much around the ground and coughs it up. Frustrating.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty10 View Post
    Heeney seems to make decisions quicker, gets rid of the ball quicker, has more speed in general and has a better sense of what is around him.
    Don't agree with most of this sentence. Heeney is probably a little quicker by foot, but not by much. It's his exceptional balance and ability to recover quickly that sets him apart from most other players in the game.

But I don't see much difference in their speed of disposal or reaction times. If anything, I get the impression that Mills is thinking a few steps ahead while Heeney reacts once he gets the ball. One of the best bits of play Mills has been involved in during his so-far-short career is the mark he took over Anthony McDonald-T in the dying stages of last year's Essendon game. You can see him thinking ahead while he's in the process of outbodying AMT, knowing he has to get the ball moving immediately.

Senior Player
    Not even close, Heeney by a country mile. He is a game breaker in the Judd/Dangerfield mould

Still a long way to go for Mills he seems to do everything well without being outstanding at anything. I don�t rate him as highly as others as I�m just not sure he has much scope for improvement (IMO)

To be honest I�m surprised that there�s even a thread debating this, Heeney is currently far better than Mills

Veterans List
    I've heard Blakey is better than both of them :-)

May even become World Record Holder for tallest midfielder taking the title off Patrick Cripps! Thoroughly sick of hearing how tall Cripps is for a midfielder, commentators are so childish in what they dribble on about.

Not voting. I'm just glad we have both of them. The greater player will the one who has fewer "Moore Park mishaps".
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Not voting. I'm just glad we have both of them. The greater player will the one who has fewer "Moore Park mishaps".
    I�m voting for Heeney. He is much more balanced. A trait which I believe will protect him better against the dangers of the Moore Park precinct

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Where is the "ROK is hot" option?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    IMHO, Mills = Mr Reliable, Heeney = Mr Exciting. Both great talents and we are lucky to have them but their end of career 'highlights reels' will be different. Mills' will be full of acts of courage and consistency sprinkled with moments of brilliance, Heeney's will be full of moments of brilliance and courage but may run shorter due to a higher 'clanger' count. For differening reasons, at the end of their careers, I imagine they will both be viewed with similar 'high' esteem......but I voted for Isaac.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 4th June 2018 at 08:27 PM.