Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ollie has received a Rising Star nomination!

Senior Player

Ollie has received a Rising Star nomination!

I just noticed Ollie has received a Rising Star nomination! Clutch Swan the latest Rising Star - Clutch Swan the latest Rising Star - AFL.com.au

Ollie's development has been a real highlight of the year; his development is exciting. Speed, smarts, and increasingly clutch. He's come on a lot from last year, when he seemed to lack confidence. Love the quotes in that piece, reflecting that the trust of the coaches has contributed to his good play. Both he and Hayward have been very well managed by the coaching staff. Also suggests that moment against the Bulldogs has assisted him along.

Well done and go well lad.

Great news. And well deserved by Ollie.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Our youngsters are pretty good. Ollie deserves the recognition.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Ollie has bolted past falling star Tom Mitchell. We really picked Hawthorn's pockets on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Ollie has bolted past falling star Tom Mitchell. We really picked Hawthorn's pockets on this one.
    ??

Absolutely deserved - the young kid is getting better every week.

While I love watching young players develop in the NEAFL and build their craft, its equally satisfying to see them doing it on the big stage as well. He is calm, composed and classy, and its always been clear as day that his decision making is very, very good. Has all the attributes to become an elite player very quickly. Our young brigade shows that our future is very, very bright indeed!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Whatever the merits of Mitchell as a footballer and circumstances surrounding his departure, we effectively parlayed it into improving our draft position substantially and using it wisely on Ollie and Hayward.

That is the sort of play that will have lasting benefits for a decade if those two stay fit, motivated and loyal.

I think Ollie thoroughly deserves this nomination but the timing is curious. It came after a solid but unspectacular contribution to a solid but unspectacular result. He kicked no goals, made 2 tackles, had 8 kicks and 12 handballs and gave away a free kick without earning one back. To me this suggests (1) there were no other standout candidates this round; and (2) he has been right in the mix to get a nom a number of other times this year but each time there was a more deserving candidate and they have just been waiting for an opportunity to reward him for his consistent good play. My perception was reinforced by the article about his nomination which made no reference to his most recent game (as is typical) and instead focused almost exclusively on his clutch goal against the Bulldogs.

None of this is at all critical - it just highlights the type of value he offers. He is consistently good, which is less common in a young player and also often doesn't get the recognition it deserves. So very pleased to see Ollie recognised this week.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think Ollie thoroughly deserves this nomination but the timing is curious. It came after a solid but unspectacular contribution to a solid but unspectacular result. He kicked no goals, made 2 tackles, had 8 kicks and 12 handballs and gave away a free kick without earning one back. To me this suggests (1) there were no other standout candidates this round; and (2) he has been right in the mix to get a nom a number of other times this year but each time there was a more deserving candidate and they have just been waiting for an opportunity to reward him for his consistent good play. My perception was reinforced by the article about his nomination which made no reference to his most recent game (as is typical) and instead focused almost exclusively on his clutch goal against the Bulldogs.

None of this is at all critical - it just highlights the type of value he offers. He is consistently good, which is less common in a young player and also often doesn't get the recognition it deserves. So very pleased to see Ollie recognised this week.
    It is usually this time of year you start getting the 'sustained effort' Rising Star Nominations occuring, as the initial lustre of those that made their debut in early rounds is over (i.e. the best have been nominated) and you are only getting the odd breakout game here and there (like Ronke against Hawthorn).
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    As I recall, Mills was a late nominee who then went on to win the award. Well done Olly, thoroughly deserved - has improved way above my expectations at least.

�It went horribly wrong.�

Lol! We noticed!

Ps: I get a jolt every now and then realising just how young some of these players are. No wonder Longmire refers to them as �kids�.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast