Thread: Goodes-O'Loughlin Medal Voting

Goodes-O'Loughlin Medal Voting

How did Cal Sinclair not get this medal on Friday night? He received 10 votes from the coaches (Isaac received 8). All the papers were raving on what a good game he played.

I don't begrudge Isaac getting it, but who voted for the winner? Was it Adam and Micky O?

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    -5 votes for flopping?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    -5 votes for flopping?
    I like it.

I too was puzzled by this Yvonne and assume that Adam and Micky must choose the winner.

Another question: the medal is said to be for the BOG. Does anyone know if that is literally correct - that is, could an opposition player win it?

It has only been won by Swans players in the three years since the introduction of the medal but that may be co-incidental (2016 Tom Mitchell, 2017 Lance Franklin in a match Hawthorn won by 6 points, 2018 Isaac Heeney).

I hope we never again play Collingwood at the MCG in the indigenous round. But I would particularly hate to see a Collingwood player awarded the Goodes-O�Loughlin medal in front of a Collingwood crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I hope we never again play Collingwood at the MCG in the indigenous round. But I would particularly hate to see a Collingwood player awarded the Goodes-O�Loughlin medal in front of a Collingwood crowd
    ....... and presented by Eddie McGuire.

Veteran Site Admin

I hope we never again play Collingwood at the MCG in the indigenous round. But I would particularly hate to see a Collingwood player awarded the Goodes-O�Loughlin medal in front of a Collingwood crowd.
    I'm not going to swear by this, but I think there is currently an agreement with the AFL that the Swans get to host the opening game of the Indigenous Round each year. Of course, the AFL can change its mind when it feels like it. If I'm correct in this, it's obviously only been in place for a few years (given we did play the Pies at the MCG in 2013). Possibly it was a concession the AFL gave to the club arising out of the Goodes incidents.

It may also have something to do with the most flamboyant indigenous player currently playing for Sydney. Maybe it will change in the post-Franklin years, especially if the club doesn't have any other high profile indigenous representation in the team.
    Last edited by liz; 6th June 2018 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks Liz. Is it also your understanding that BOG means BOG, so an opposition player might win it in the future?

I would like to think winning the Goodes-O�Loughlin medal would be an honour for any player. But I suspect it means a lot more to Swans players than to those at other clubs. (Note, I am not arguing against an award other than to a Swans player, just wondering.)

Veteran Site Admin
    Thanks Liz. Is it also your understanding that BOG means BOG, so an opposition player might win it in the future?

I would like to think winning the Goodes-O�Loughlin medal would be an honour for any player. But I suspect it means a lot more to Swans players than to those at other clubs. (Note, I am not arguing against an award other than to a Swans player, just wondering.)
    I've never really thought about it but I guess I assume it to be a BOG award - ie open to players from either of the competing teams. I can't think of any other medal in a game that can only be given to a play from the one side, and I think that would devalue it. Imagine the Swans getting thumped in the game and then one of them being awarded with a medal.

I'd like to think that players from any team would be honoured to received a medal named after two pretty good players - as much as they value any BOG medal (which I reckon is a pretty lame concept, other than in the grand final).

4. Ben Mathews = Hero SouthSwans's Avatar