Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy half way

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I don't know that the trade ban changed all that much as far as what the Swans would have done without it in place.
    Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have been imposed though.

At what point does Buddy become a 'win'
    Most would say he is already.
    He certainly is worth his weight in the publicity etc he generates for the club.
    But as far as a player goes, 6 years? 7?
    Assuming he enters a decline at some point, I'd say if we get 7 solid years from him it's a win.
    If you listen to those outside the club, Buddy needs to deliver 9 consecutive flags, including the last four, to be considered a win for Sydney

Buddy half way

For me, the acquisition of Buddy has been an unprecedented success. The number of games that he has been a match winner for us since joining is quite significant. An earlier poster mentioned that Port game a few years back as one example. There have been numerous others. Probably 3-4 extra wins per year that would not have happened without his significant impact. This year the opening game against WCE on their own ground is another standout. While we have yet to win a flag in his time I sincerely doubt that we would have made the GF in 2014 or 2016 without him. His off field impact in lifting the game�s and club�s profile in NSW and on membership numbers is also amazing. His recruitment is a big win as far as I�m concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There have been some interesting analyses of game style changes over recent years - slingshot, pressure etc. most recently the forward 50 small forward lines and the near death of full forwards.
    I just wonder whether Buddy might turn the clock back to
    Plugger days: stay at home and lead and be impossible to stop

All my footy prayers were answered when we got Buddy.
    Best. Decision. Ever.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

We have had many great players over the years (and I have followed the Swans for 50years) but Buddy is without a doubt the most exciting player I have seen to wear the red and white. watching him in action is worth your membership and a bit more

The trades thread from that year would be great reading.

Wonderful footballer. Clearly it would've been nice to win one of those Grand Finals but that can't be the only measure of success. The sheer joy he has given as a supporter is more than enough.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    I don't know that the trade ban changed all that much as far as what the Swans would have done without it in place.
    Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have been imposed though.
    In the grand scheme of things, it cost us picking up Joel Patfull (potentially), where we picked up Melican in the Rookie Draft at pick no 52. Pure conjecture, but with Patfull on the list would we have picked up Melican? I doubt it.

Long term, a blessing in disguise.
    C'mon Chels!

Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, it cost us picking up Joel Patfull (potentially), where we picked up Melican in the Rookie Draft at pick no 52. Pure conjecture, but with Patfull on the list would we have picked up Melican? I doubt it.

Long term, a blessing in disguise.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, is it not?

Senior Player
    I remember firing off an excited "the Swans have signed Franklin!" text, and I'm not an excited text kind of guy

Of course we don't admit to liking opposition players, especially the Hawks but...I liked watching him when he played for the Hawks. I like him even more in red and white.

I think he's been great for the club: for membership, for getting kids excited about the game (his 10 goals v Carlton was when my kids finally got what it's about), as a mentor and team player (not just the goals).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing, is it not?
    It is. While it wasn't a justified ban, I feel like it is time to move on, and thank Fitzpatrick for Melican
    C'mon Chels!

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by penga View Post
    It is. While it wasn't a justified ban, I feel like it is time to move on, and thank Fitzpatrick for Melican
    Good philosophy, Penga, might just hold off thanking Fitzy.

I loved the fact he blind sided everyone - most all the media. And they don�t like to be made fools of. It was all ok when he was supposed to go to GWS - Swans were never part of the equation - but then......???? and if you recall when he and Jacinta got married his mates Jordon Lewis & Roughy put the tweet out � off to Queenstown NZ for the Franklins wedding of the year�. - media outlets were hot tailing it to the airport to get on the Next AIR NZ flight. Fabulous sting it was , when they were actually up in the blue mountains here. They did it their way. Damned media thwarted again!!! But Buddy has done so much for the club - he has virtually doubled our membership - to see so many with 23 on their backs is fabulous - but on the field he has given our team the excitement that the likes of Lockett, Hall, Mick O & Goodsey provided previously. As soon as the ball goes near him the crowd lifts. I would love for him to win a flag with us but if he doesn�t it�s not a failure - he has lifted the Swans profile and then some. Which is what we needed. And I put some very sad tweeters in their box the other day. In response to the Grant Thomas rumour mongering. I said if they are so certain of the rumours then provide the proof - actual proof and evidence - I didn�t get one rebuttal. LOVE THE BUD MAN!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast