Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy half way

Veterans List

Buddy half way

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but Buddy has now completed half of his contract.

For a player who arrived sort of free, probably cost us Mummy, he has been a bargain buy. His contribution on field, off field and in helping young players develop has been enormous. Looking forward to his 100th game for us which will lock in his future kids as F/S & F/D!

Well done Buddy, we thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere but Buddy has now completed half of his contract.

For a player who arrived sort of free, probably cost us Mummy, he has been a bargain buy. His contribution on field, off field and in helping young players develop has been enormous. Looking forward to his 100th game for us which will lock in his future kids as F/S & F/D!

I know what F/S stands for , but what is F/D (maybe future draft)?

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    I know what F/S stands for , but what is F/D (maybe future draft)?
    Father/Daughter

Although he only needs to have played one game for father daughter eligibility.

Senior Player

+1!

Buddy to Sydney, One of the biggest legal hoodwinks in sporting history .

Well done son .

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Buddy to Sydney, One of the biggest legal hoodwinks in sporting history .

Well done son .
    Never been anything like it in VFL/AFL history, the sheer cleverness and audacity, to keep it to just a handful in the know and it not leaking out was masterful. So brilliant that Mike Fitzmuppet was stunned and reacted in the most vindictive and amateur manner. Was very glad he showed himself up as an idiot when interviewed by Mike Sheehan recently.

For a player who arrived sort of free, probably cost us Mummy, he has been a bargain buy.
    He should have been free but in the end cost us a massive trade ban. Still worth it though.

Also interesting to recall the shock, worry and in many instances anger of Swans� fans when the deal was announced, including on RWO. I was in the first two categories, not so much the third.

I wonder if those who said they would never again support the Swans followed through on their threat? Some said they were off to follow GWS. And then there were those allegedly Swans fans who booed and abused Buddy in his first few matches (before he started playing really well - still learning to adapt to the Swans� game plan I suspect in retrospect). I had one such person sitting behind me at an early 2014 season match at ANZ, until I turned around and told him to clean up his language (to his credit he apologised and was fine for the rest of the match).

I suspect they/we are all cheering crazily now every time the ball goes near �our big Bud�!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Also interesting to recall the shock, worry and in many instances anger of Swans� fans when the deal was announced, including on RWO. I was in the first two categories, not so much the third.
    Yes I was quite freaked out / unhappy when I heard the news. I�m overjoyed Buddy�s a Swan now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

I wonder if those who said they would never again support the Swans followed through on their threat? Some said they were off to follow GWS. And then there were those allegedly Swans fans who booed and abused Buddy in his first few matches (before he started playing really well - still learning to adapt to the Swans� game plan I suspect in retrospect). I had one such person sitting behind me at an early 2014 season match at ANZ, until I turned around and told him to clean up his language (to his credit he apologised and was fine for the rest of the match).

I suspect they/we are all cheering crazily now every time the ball goes near �our big Bud�!
    I had a similar experience in 2014. Game against Port at the SCG; I was in the Trumper. Buddy had kicked a few behinds and the bloke behind me was complaining about him: overpaid and overrated etc. Ultimately Buddy kicked three in the final term, including the famous 'give him a longer contract' 70m bomb, and we won by 4. The guy seemed too ashamed to celebrate; almost felt sorry for him. Cracking game. Watch the highlights here: Sydney Swans Vs Port Adelaide - Match Centre - M.afl.com.au.

I don't know that the trade ban changed all that much as far as what the Swans would have done without it in place.
    Doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't have been imposed though.

At what point does Buddy become a 'win'
    Most would say he is already.
    He certainly is worth his weight in the publicity etc he generates for the club.
    But as far as a player goes, 6 years? 7?
    Assuming he enters a decline at some point, I'd say if we get 7 solid years from him it's a win.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast