Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Free kick differential over the last 15 years

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    One thing that strikes me is that "interstate" teams (i.e. non VFL) seem to have a bigger gap between their home and away free kick averages than the Melbourne teams overall. The WA teams and Port in particular do, us to a fair extent too, but GWS, Adelaide and Qld teams not so much. To me this lends credence to the 'sound of acclamation' or crowd noise theory - particularly when you factor in that the expansion teams and Brisbane don't get such great home support. Doesn't account for Adelaide though. Collingwood seem to have the smallest difference between home and away averages and perhaps this is due to the vocal and strong support they get from their dedicated fans even when they're away from home.
    Yes, Adelaide is interesting. One issue is the definition of home and away; a Melbourne-based team can be away in Melbourne, so very little travel and probably still plenty of "home" fans.

We could look at venue, or city, but obviously that increases the number of comparisons and makes things more complicated. Perhaps it would be interesting to redefine home and away, based on whether a team is in their home city or not. But there are always going to be "edge cases", like GWS "home" games in Canberra, or North Melbourne "home" games in Tasmania.

In regards to Collingwood not having much difference between their home and away tallies, this could be due to the fact that they play a significant amount of their away games at the MCG and Etihad?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    In regards to Collingwood not having much difference between their home and away tallies, this could be due to the fact that they play a significant amount of their away games at the MCG and Etihad?
    Yes, most of the time Collingwood are 'away', they are actually 'home'...... "closer each day......Home and Away!" It sucks.....and makes Eddie the biggest hypocrite every time he opens his mouth to complain about 'injustice' and 'inequity'.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Given that GWS have been in existence for less than half the time period shown in the graphic, double their tally and it�s clear there�s an anti-Sydney conspiracy.
    I think the most disturbing fact is that the Swans have the last placed wrapped up a long way...some 168 free kicks ahead of hawthorn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    From this article:Umpires' favourites ... and the unloved - AFL.com.au

.....comes this: "IT'S OFFICIAL: Joel Selwood is the umpires' pet and Lance Franklin gets a rough run."

No @@@@ Sherlock????!!!!
    Interesting; most on the highest differentials for are knee droppers/duckers.

Ugh the Bulldogs getting thrashed at the moment. That with the free kick differential from 2016 makes me so mad. They were never a top 4 team. I still claim 2016 as our year.

Makes me so bitter

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Ugh the Bulldogs getting thrashed at the moment. That with the free kick differential from 2016 makes me so mad. They were never a top 4 team. I still claim 2016 as our year.

Makes me so bitter
    I fear two things not happening will mean I won't ever die happy.

They are- 1. seeing us humiliate the Hawks in a grand final like they did to us in 2014 (though seeing how riled up so many of them get about 2012 is a partial make up for it), and 2. getting revenge over the Fairypuppies for their 'AFL sanctioned fairytale Premiership' of 2016.... I get frustrated when we get the old 'bad losers' crap whenever anyone suggests that day was nothing but perfect umpiring and amazing doggies - when anyone half objective could see they got every rub of the green possible that day. Fix those two events, and I'll die a very happy man.

Though I should not complain at all about my lot - given how much forbearers that have followed our wonderful club have gone through over the past 100 years or so, I am very blessed to have seen in my 31 years only on this planet the Swans play in 6 grand finals, win 2 of them, and become an established member of the elite of the competition. Most swans fans have been nowhere near that lucky.

I'm not yet convinced about 2018 potentially seeing us go close again, but I'm starting to believe as well - get the win tomorrow night and I will definitely feel we are a real chance.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Posters View Post
    Surprised to see the hawks near the bottom, looks like they got smashed between 2005 and 2011. What happened there?
    Me too. I think their reputation is based on them being the recipients of bad calls in vital and important situations, esp. when Stevic umpires. Just look at all the incorrect calls in their favour in the finals series of their premiership wins; 2012 GF, 2013 Semi Final, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post

Makes me so bitter
    +99. It really grinds my gears. We deserved that premiership but the corrupt AFL had other plans unfortunately.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    +99. It really grinds my gears. We deserved that premiership but the corrupt AFL had other plans unfortunately.

Bulldogs 2016 free kick differential is a shocker. Biggest howler on that stat sheet, closely followed by West Coast stats long term.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123