Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Free kick differential over the last 15 years

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Free kick differential over the last 15 years

Not sure how accurate these figures are but thought I'd post it anyway. Guess which team is on the bottom!

Free kick differential over the last 15 years : AFL

Wow 2016 is an interesting year with Swans the third worst at -50 and Dogs the best at +112

Additionally I just saw that in the last 10 yrs, 2 Swans are leading in the free kick differential against. Buddy and Grundy.

Senior Player
    Teams and playing styles have changed over those 15 years, so I don't think conclusions based on summing across an arbitrary time period have much merit.

It would be interesting to reexamine the data though. Might be my weekend project

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Teams and playing styles have changed over those 15 years, so I don't think conclusions based on summing across an arbitrary time period have much merit.

It would be interesting to reexamine the data though. Might be my weekend project
    Please do because they look damning for example comparing us to Eagles. Bulldogs +112 in 2016 is a howler and doesn't help allay any of our fears and suspicions.

On the veteran's list
    I'm not sure that the Swans are unfairly punished for the frees they give away, but I DEFINITELY believe they don't get the ones they are entitled to. The 2016 GF is a case in point. The umps were frothing at the mouth to give anything to the dogs they thought may have been an infringement, yet were reluctant to pay anything to Sydney. Alan Richardson calls it the "power of acclamation". Everyone (except us Swannies) prayed for a doggies flag and the umps were swept up in the emotion.

Greg Denham summed 2016 up prior to last year's GF:

"We are not umpire bashers at The Australian. Not even close. But please, can we all get a perceived fair go tomorrow at the MCG from the men wearing light blue. Field umpires Matt Stevic, Simon Meredith and Shaun Ryan, you owe us one. We�re not saying the Western Bulldogs weren�t deserved winners last year, but they did get the rub of the green.

Overall, the Dogs received 20 free kicks to the Swans� eight. The differential of 12 was the biggest in a grand final since the three-umpire system was introduced in 1994. The AFL review didn�t deem last year�s umpiring performance to be poor, but it was the view of the league that it was beneath the level expected, especially considering the highly-experienced and more than capable trio who officiated � Stevic, Meredith and Scott Jeffery. The league were embarrassed to the point that then-acting AFL general manager of football operations Mark Evans rang Sydney chief executive Andrew Ireland on the Tuesday after the match to apologise for the umpires costing the Swans four goals. The winning margin blew out late to 22 points after the Bulldogs kicked the final two goals in time on of the final quarter.

Jeffery was umpiring his first grand final after more than 300 games� experience, while Stevic and Meredith were each in their fourth grand finals. Many contentious decisions robbed the Swans, who were hurt by a number of wrong calls, especially on the sliding/contact below the knees rule. Stevic (No 9) retains his gig after 330 games. Meredith (No 21) also keeps his ranking after 314 games. Ryan (No 25) is no newcomer, having previously umpired five grand finals, but none since 2011. Each will earn about $20,000 for their day�s work. Ryan, a barrister, retired at the end of 2011, but returned to the AFL senior list in 2015. He said this week he took some convincing to rejoin from umpires� coach Hayden Kennedy. �I was pretty happily retired and I hadn�t really thought about coming back to be honest,� Ryan said. Stevic is a teacher, while @Meredith lists his occupation as an IT consultant.

The trio will be under closer than usual scrutiny after last year�s below-par performances."
    Last edited by The Big Cat; 8th June 2018 at 04:11 PM.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Have never seen that Greg Denham piece before. Thanks for posting, Big Cat!

Veterans List

#AFL Round 12 Weekly Discussion Thread

From this article:Umpires' favourites ... and the unloved - AFL.com.au

.....comes this: "IT'S OFFICIAL: Joel Selwood is the umpires' pet and Lance Franklin gets a rough run."

No @@@@ Sherlock????!!!!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 8th June 2018 at 05:51 PM.

Veterans List
    Here is the damning facts:

.....................Matches played, Frees for, Frees against, Differential

Joel Selwood (Geel) 260 702 330 +372

Lance Franklin (Haw, Syd) 279 363 533 -190

WTF???!!!

Buddy has the worst negative differential..... Guess who has the second worst.....

Heath Grundy (Syd) 248 123 238 -115

It should come as no surprise to us but I'll say again......WTF is going on??!! We are playing in a league run by CHEATS......

Veterans List
    In addition to the above, I was reading an article in the Hun (I think) showing home ground free kick differentials of all clubs since, I think, the early 2000's but I'll concentrate on the non Victorian teams. Our home ground diff. was +72.....slightly surprising that we were actually positive but of no surprise was the largest positive differential.....West Coast +452. Yes, +452 !!!

The Adelaide based teams also had very healthy positive differentials, Freo positive but not as favoured as WC, Crows and Power. GWS also positive but similar to Freo. Brisbane fair badly for some reason but not as badly as us. We have the lowest positive differential of all the interstate teams.......

......and back to the player free kick differentials, here are the top five end of season differentials since 1999, ie: player most loved by the umpires.

BEST DIFFERENTIAL SEASONS SINCE 1999

Joel Selwood (Geel) 2013 +45 free kicks
    Joel Selwood (Geel) 2008 +42
    Joel Selwood (Geel) 2017 +40
    Angus Monfries (Ess) 2008 +39
    Joel Selwood (Geel) 2014 +38

Wow!

Conclusion? AFL umpires have little to no integrity.....just like their employer.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 8th June 2018 at 07:05 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    From this article:Umpires' favourites ... and the unloved - AFL.com.au

.....comes this: "IT'S OFFICIAL: Joel Selwood is the umpires' pet and Lance Franklin gets a rough run."

No @@@@ Sherlock????!!!!
    Interesting; most on the highest differentials for are knee droppers/duckers.

So that�s a 562 differential between two elite players in the comp.
    They both are completely aware of all the rules but are judged THAT differently by the umps.
    Lance is big and aggressive , but doesn�t do his block or deliberately play dirty .
    It�s an astonishing stat. and incredibly difficult to comprehend .

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Buddy does give away a lot of stupid ones.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast