Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 Weekly Discussion Thread

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Where do you think a Tas team should be based? I�ve read people say that people in Hobart wouldn�t support a Launceston team, and vice versa. Sounds silly to me - but then I don�t �get� interstate rivalries much less intrastate ones.

Given small population of Tas, to be successful there a team would need to win popular support across Tasmania.
    Could they split the home games between Launceston and Hobart; call the team 'Tasmania'?

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Could they split the home games between Launceston and Hobart; call the team 'Tasmania'?
    Should be workable.

Veterans List
    Early days in this game but I suspect 'expectation' weighs heavily on the Dees (14 pts down atm).....time will tell if they can overcome this weight. I actually thought they would come out and tear Collingwood apart after that "Why not?" address from Neal Daniher during the week......even I teared up when I saw that one, concluding that one speech could carry the Dees all the way to the GF and beyond. As I said, time will tell if the Dees are up to it.....now down 26 pts.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 11th June 2018 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Good point, Meg. I reckon this would have to be the solution, else it wouldn't work. This seems to work at youth level albeit that may not be comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    Good point, Meg. I reckon this would have to be the solution, else it wouldn't work. This seems to work at youth level albeit that may not be comparable.
    All true. Except it wasn't Meg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloods05 View Post
    All true. Except it wasn't Meg.
    As far as this thread goes, Meg raised the point that you would need a team that people from both Hobart and Launceston could support and so where would you play home games - which was the point I was referring to. Then MattW made the sensible proposal that the home games could be shared which was my immediate thought also. There's still the sensitive issue of where would the team be based and train etc. Maybe they'd have to go with a political, 'Canberra' type halfway solution like Campbell Town.

Even though we stand to move into 3rd on the ladder if the Pies win, I'm going for Melbourne. Apart from the fact that I prefer them, there's also the fact that we hold the Pies second round pick. However, it's looking like the game has gotten away from the Dees and the Pies are going to win.

Hopefully I've spoken too soon. Dees back in with a sniff.

Veterans List
    How the AFL can see some of the 'sliding in' decisions and sit back and think, "That's a great rule that's in the spirit of the game"......is beyond me. A Collingwood player, running in the same direction as his opponent, does what his coach, in fact, any coach would applaud only to see the player second to the ball do a pathetic flop over the top of the player first to the ball and get rewarded for his 'patheticness'.....it is a complete utter joke. This rule and the 'protected zone' rule are the two most stupid rules in AFL footy and most resulting frees are completely against 'the spirit of the game'. Any rule that results in the 'undeserved' getting rewarded makes NO sense. GET RID OF THEM BOTH NOW!!!!!!!

Lethal was saying on the wireless this morning there has to be rule amendments next year .
    Bloody silly rules.

Senior Player
    Interesting game Melbourne-Collingwood. Notable, compared to our games, how brittle the respective defences are. Melbourne in particular giving up marks in what seems like the majority of entries into their 50.

It�s hurting me watching Collingwood play so well.