Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scottee View Post
    I actually think a lot of the reason for the debate on this thread is based on the very poor drafting of the rule itself:

"makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury below the knees."

Surely the above literally translated could mean that if you bumped a player shoulder to shoulder while he was unbalanced and he twisted his ankle you could be free kicked.

It should read; "makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body below the knees of an opposition player in a manner likely to cause injury"
    Sorry Scottee, I collapsed the wording (for brevity) which has been misleading. The full wording does make clear the intent:

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player
    if the Player:

(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;

(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders); or
    (ii) below the knees.

etc. (list goes on (b) to (m) of forms of �prohibited contact�).

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    This (may) be my last post on this subject. The AFL have given us all their 'verdict' on the Taylor Adams 'sliding in' free kick and of course, like the biased dumb bastards they are, have given it the thumbs up!

Ump got it right, but Pie questions rule - AFL.com.au
    That article actually contains no comment from the AFL on whether it got that free kick right. It quotes Adams as saying that the umpire got it right (as the rules are currently written).

I disagree with his assertion that interpretation of the rule has changed since it was introduced. I believe that would have been a correct free kick to the Dees player ever since the rule was introduced (regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with the rule itself). Adams states this as fact but provides no support for his assertion that the interpretation has changed.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That article actually contains no comment from the AFL on whether it got that free kick right. It quotes Adams as saying that the umpire got it right (as the rules are currently written).

I disagree with his assertion that interpretation of the rule has changed since it was introduced. I believe that would have been a correct free kick to the Dees player ever since the rule was introduced (regardless of whether one agrees or disagrees with the rule itself). Adams states this as fact but provides no support for his assertion that the interpretation has changed.
    Adams only states his opinion of the rule......and many agree with him.

Oh and here's the last sentence of that article:

The AFL's umpiring department gave its tick of approval to the free kick that was awarded, despite widespread criticism for the interpretation.

Veteran Site Admin
    Adams only states his opinion of the rule......and many agree with him.

Oh and here's the last sentence of that article:

The AFL's umpiring department gave its tick of approval to the free kick that was awarded, despite widespread criticism for the interpretation.
    That last sentence is a link to another article, and if you click through to the article, it refers to the Talia free kick decision from a few weeks ago, not this decision. Indeed, it follows a paragraph noting the Talia free. It pays to actually read an article in full.

The AFL may well have given this one its tick of approval (since it was correct under the rules they have written) but this article doesn't refer to any comment from the AFL.

Interpretation is a bit*h.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Interpretation is a bit*h.
    Another problem with AFL umpiring......so easy for an umpire to interpret a situation the way he wants to.....or interpret according to an AFL bias/prejudice.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    That last sentence is a link to another article, and if you click through to the article, it refers to the Talia free kick decision from a few weeks ago, not this decision. Indeed, it follows a paragraph noting the Talia free. It pays to actually read an article in full.

The AFL may well have given this one its tick of approval (since it was correct under the rules they have written) but this article doesn't refer to any comment from the AFL.
    What is the origin of the headline "Ump got it right, but Pie questions rule" then.....? Looks like someone approved Adams the decision.

This (may) be my last post on this subject. The AFL have given us all their 'verdict' on the Taylor Adams 'sliding in' free kick and of course, like the biased dumb bastards they are, have given it the thumbs up!

Ump got it right, but Pie questions rule - AFL.com.au

I implore everybody to read Adams thoughts (I agree 100% with him), especially this bit, "Adams said the interpretation had shifted in recent years and had gone away from why it had been introduced in the first place."........this is exactly my point.

Also, listen carefully to the commentary. Now I know we don't rate the Ch 7 commentators but I think they actually reflect the thoughts of, well at least most, sensible footy fans and players on this one, a noble rule repeatedly judged incorrectly.....and I ask yet again, what is wrong with going to ground? Why are acts of desperation being discouraged? Why do the AFL think they can make a brutal contact sport 100% safe? If what you want is 'no injuries' in Australian Rules Football......you must ban the game. Yes, I agree, that is just stupid.....about as stupid as trying to make it 100% safe. Never going to happen.......
    The problem with going to ground is that it is unduly dangerous to other players. Only some acts of desperation, not all, are being discouraged - the unduly dangerous ones. We still applaud great tackles, smothers, blocks etc etc. The point is not to make a brutal contact sport 100% safe, it is harm minimisation. The rule exists primarily for the benefit of the players, so their careers and lives are not adversely impacted when it is just not necessary. We can still have a hard, physical and entertaining game but seek to reduce the harm it causes.

Undoubtedly the reason the rule hasn't been altogether well received is that it is different to the way the game used to be played. However we are placing an increasing premium on player safety and wellbeing, much as in the situation with the increased protection being afforded to players' heads. I think the changing values are what Channel 7 commentators struggle with it. They know the rule has changed but they are used to applauding these acts of desperation as they were worthy of plaudits before the rules changed and at the time they played the game. Jimmy Bartel, who is much more freshly retired, seems to get it much better. He straddles the eras. He understands that there was no malice in the act and that it was an act that would have been considered brilliant effort and determination to compete until the rules changed. However he also understands that the rules have changed with the aim of changing player behaviour so that they keep their feet with the further aim of protecting players from injury.

A technical point: it seems to me that where the Melbourne player jumped over the Pie it's arguable whether to pay the free kick. While paying the free kick is in the spirit of the rule, there is no "contact" and arguably there has been no "attempt to make contact" - the attempt was to get the ball (albeit with indifference to whether there was contact). Whether this counts as an "attempt to make contact" really depends on whether you require a specific intention or whether recklessness as to the result will suffice. I suspect this has been adjudicated by the AFL tribunal in the past but I don't know what the rules/principles are.

I thought it would be useful to post a link to the rules because they keep changing and, although I think the link has probably been posted on RWO before it's always hard to find the relevant previous post: http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/f...n_Football.pdf.

I don't think the second, fuller posting of the rule resolves Scottee's points, which I think are both valid. First, the rule might capture a shoulder to shoulder bump resulting in an ankle injury - but for the fact I would argue that the ankle injury was not a "likely" outcome of the contact. More importantly, it does seem preferable that the rule stipulate that the contact (or attempted contact) has to be below the knee and then injury can be anywhere rather than the other way round (as the rule in fact appears to state) that the contact can be anywhere but the injury has to be below the knee. If the interpretation intended is the second one then the clause has been drafted poorly.

#AFL Round 12 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I don't think the second, fuller posting of the rule resolves Scottee's points, which I think are both valid. First, the rule might capture a shoulder to shoulder bump resulting in an ankle injury - but for the fact I would argue that the ankle injury was not a "likely" outcome of the contact. More importantly, it does seem preferable that the rule stipulate that the contact (or attempted contact) has to be below the knee and then injury can be anywhere rather than the other way round (as the rule in fact appears to state) that the contact can be anywhere but the injury has to be below the knee. If the interpretation intended is the second one then the clause has been drafted poorly.
    H�mmm I think this is a bit of a perverse way of reading the wording but I do agree that for absolute clarity it would be better to have the clause �in a manner likely to cause injury� enclosed within commas.

Here is the 2018 version of the AFL Laws.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36381723

Veteran Site Admin
    What is the origin of the headline "Ump got it right, but Pie questions rule" then.....? Looks like someone approved Adams the decision.
    It's taken from a direct quote from Adams in the fourth paragraph of the article. Adams is saying that it was a correct free kick under the rules but that he doesn't like the rule.

Adams doesn't like the rule. You don't like the rule. Lots of other don't like the rule. That's fine. There's no right or wrong, it's just a matter of opinion. Those who, like myself, support the rule, don't deny that there is a cost to the game in the sense of taking away the principle that anything goes if you are trying to win possession. It's just a matter of preference around whether what is lost is too high a cost in comparison to what is gained (a slightly reduced risk of a certain kind of significant injury).

Whether one supports or doesn't support the rule is a different question to whether the rule was correctly applied in a given situation.

There are plenty of rules I don't like, some of which have nothing to do with injury prevention but are there for other reasons. The excluded zone penalty is one such, and part of my dislike is because it is inconsistently applied. But even if it were consistently applied, I don't especially see the need for it but the AFL disagrees, thinking it opens the game up.
    Last edited by liz; 13th June 2018 at 04:42 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

A technical point: it seems to me that where the Melbourne player jumped over the Pie it's arguable whether to pay the free kick. While paying the free kick is in the spirit of the rule, there is no "contact" and arguably there has been no "attempt to make contact" - the attempt was to get the ball (albeit with indifference to whether there was contact). Whether this counts as an "attempt to make contact" really depends on whether you require a specific intention or whether recklessness as to the result will suffice. I suspect this has been adjudicated by the AFL tribunal in the past but I don't know what the rules/principles are.
    I don't agree with you on that point. In almost every instance where a player goes to ground to win the ball, they are not attempting to make contact with a player's legs. It's just got nothing to do with their intention at all. Their intention is to try and win possession.

But the rule is trying to change players' behaviour by encouraging them not to go to ground at all in those circumstances. It's the action of going to ground that is being penalised, not the outcome of whether forcible contact is actually made, or whether the opposition player is able to take evasive action. This is somewhat different to a player choosing to move towards someone already on the ground and causing the contact below the knees. I have seen instances of this and those are the ones that I think are incorrectly paid. It comes down to the time and space that the players have to adjust their movements. But in this case, the Demons player didn't have the choice of avoiding contact other than by jumping in the way he did. He didn't have time to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    H�mmm I think this is a bit of a perverse way of reading the wording but I do agree that for absolute clarity it would be better to have the clause �in a manner likely to cause injury� enclosed within commas.

Here is the 2018 version of the AFL Laws.

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=36381723
    Thanks for posting the latest rules. I agree the interpretation is perverse in that it doesn't really achieve the goal you would think they are aiming for but that's why I think it is poorly drafted. Poor drafting makes more sense than daft rule. I can thank Occam and his razor for that conclusion. I do think the natural reading of the words as they are currently put down on paper leads to the daft version.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast