Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 12 Weekly Discussion Thread

If Tassie is ever to have a team it has has to be a relocated Melbourne team to give it that corporate tie in to a major city.

Tassie can support an AFL team on all grounds:
    Player retention ( not enough Tassie players and others aren't going to stay),
    Corporate sponsors.
    Crowds. See recent hawks and norf crowds.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    If Tassie is ever to have a team it has has to be a relocated Melbourne team to give it that corporate tie in to a major city.

Tassie can support an AFL team on all grounds:
    Player retention ( not enough Tassie players and others aren't going to stay),
    Corporate sponsors.
    Crowds. See recent hawks and norf crowds.
    I think you meant cannot support?

I'd hardly call attendances at recent Hawks & Norf games "crowds"! How about the supposed 7000 crowd at GWS last night, barely 2-3000 from what I saw unless they were all in the bars through boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I think you meant cannot support?

I'd hardly call attendances at recent Hawks & Norf games "crowds"! How about the supposed 7000 crowd at GWS last night, barely 2-3000 from what I saw unless they were all in the bars through boredom.
    It was a poor crowd no doubt. Rain, long weekend, against suns. The promotion of GWS seems to have stalled.
    It looked like a crowd of only members.

They lose a lot of supporter momentum by not being able to play at home in the first few rounds due to the Easter show. They really need to solve that. Get a big team early to build interest. Maybe play at somewhere like North Sydney oval as a bit of a novelty.

It will be a long time before a fixture of gold coast at spotless mid winter will draw a decent crowd.

- - - Updated - - -

.. yes I meant " cannot". Can't edit posts on mobile view, so that confusing statement will live on forever. ????

Who was the oxygen thief who brought in the silly exclusion rule which is paid on the whim of an umpire .
    A player is exiting the zone to the best of his intentions and a 50m penalty is paid often gifting the recipient a goal.
    What if this occurred in the last 5 seconds of a Grand Final.
    This is complete over officiating the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Who was the oxygen thief who brought in the silly exclusion rule which is paid on the whim of an umpire .
    A player is exiting the zone to the best of his intentions and a 50m penalty is paid often gifting the recipient a goal.
    Completely agree, penalty way OTT for a �crime� that has hurt no one.

Also one last night when Swans player was following his man when the Saints player ran through the zone. If there has to be a rule it should apply to all players - then if your own team runs through your zone followed by his opposing player it would be �play on�.

I think you are exaggerating the foundation of AFL in Tassie.
    The roots of Australian Rules (as distinct from 'AFL') in Tassie are every bit as deep as they are in any of the southern states. If the AFL was prepared to invest the squillions they have in western Sydney and the Gold Coast, I have absolutely no doubt it could be successful. The problem is that they are obsessed with imperial expansion, the clearest example of this being the preposterous China thing.

Veterans List
    I think you are exaggerating the foundation of AFL in Tassie.

If they lose more players they will be less competitive and get even lower support wherever they are.
    They play footy in Tassie, they have supported AFL matches very well in Tassie (if the crowds are down lately, it's probably because the locals are getting sick of watching teams they don't actually barrack for and are ready for their 'own' team) and they have actual Australian Rules footballers in Tassie.......pretty good foundation.

I think you are exaggerating your knowledge of everything......GC should be dissolved. A Tassie team would never be so embarrassing......

Time to be a 'glass half full' kinda guy for a change Barry.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 10th June 2018 at 06:34 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    It's the worst rule in footy.

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think you are exaggerating your knowledge of everything.
    Cruel, but fair.

Veterans List
    Wow, Freo started on fire in the first quarter but I see Adelaide have kicked 6 goals to nil in the second to restore normality.....

Veterans List
    Normality out the window.....Freo by 3 pts in a thriller. Who'd have thought it. Crows in a little trouble now......

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Normality out the window.....Freo by 3 pts in a thriller. Who'd have thought it. Crows in a little trouble now......
    Ah, work should be fun tomorrow

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast