Thread: Legends Lunch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    pr. dim-melb; m not f

Legends Lunch

The lunch was again a fun occasion, but a couple of details could be looked at. The venue was ZINC, on the riverbank with great views. Staff were unobtrusive and very generous with the bottle/plate/you name it. The food was OK - three courses, no choices; three wines bubbly, white and red all from Wolf Blass; also Crown and a light beer, orange juice or mineral water.

Mike Sheahan interviewed Peter "Wheels" Bedford and Bobby Skilton. MS to BS: Did you ever whack anyone? BS: Yes! MS: Who? BS: I'm not telling you! This followed on from PB on the same topic quoting himself on the field saying to an opposition player "Now David, don't do that" which brought roars of laughter, and again when the opponent persisted and PB whacked him.

Line of the occasion: PB saying to an older brother (I think) of Tim Watson "I hope you've brought your own ball today because the one the umpire's holding is MINE!"

All run very well, but I'd prefer Grubby Stubbs as the compere.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

It's really hard to imagine Bedford or Skilts having Agro on the ground. They're so polite and gentlemanly to speak to.

This is the first lunch we have not attended. They have become far to expensive for us just for lunch