Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: #AFL Round 12, Swans vs Saints, 7:25pm, Etihad #AFLSaintsSwans @sydneyswans

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I think it's called 'self promotion' but (as we all know) it's actually 'fake news'.....if they say it enough, people might believe it. Seven are the masters of intensely annoying self promotion.......at least we won't hear the words "after the tennis" ever again.
    Channel 7 have the rights to the tennis for one more year so unfortunately we will be hearing it!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    But we will hear�after the cricket� so pain is set to continue .....
    So true.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Sure the first qrt was par excellence, But what about the last three qrts . we shoud have won that one by over 100 pts. It looked to me that out players had stopped running which is why our firt qrt was so great. For the last 3 we were not as adventurous and just stopped running. Taking too long to dispose of the ball after marking. Rampe in front of me in final qrt took a mark and pondered what to do with ball eventually turned over. An opportunity lost for %.
    We started to go sideways after half time and over handball through the centre. The first quarter showed just what direct football produces. In the first half we went direct to leading players then we decided that we should go laterally across half forward after half time and allow St Kilda to get players back. At one stage they had 5 players back without a Swan in sight. No doubt we took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter, but as a Swan supporter I just wanted more of the first half.

I think Ollie was playing on the ball a lot more and not playing off half back. He was doing a heck of a lot of 2 way running and supporting the defenders. Looks a star in the making.

Jones rarely makes a mistake of late and now really reads the play and runs to the right places to support or take the hand pass. Turned into a quality player.

McCartin is showing that he will be a very good player for us. His tank gets better by the week and the coach used him at both ends of the ground. Just got to sort out his kicking.

Channel 7 couldn�t resist getting the McCartin brothers together for an interview on the field immediately after the match. I felt sorry for Paddy who was clearly pretty upset about the size of the loss - he repeatedly praised Tom and said how proud he was of him but was struggling to say anything else. Bit rough expecting him to be articulate so soon after a thumping.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    We started to go sideways after half time and over handball through the centre. The first quarter showed just what direct football produces. In the first half we went direct to leading players then we decided that we should go laterally across half forward after half time and allow St Kilda to get players back. At one stage they had 5 players back without a Swan in sight. No doubt we took the foot off the pedal in the last quarter, but as a Swan supporter I just wanted more of the first half.
    The team may have taken the foot off the pedal in the final quarter but they still generated plenty of gettable scoring shots. They just weren't as accurate as in the first half (and the first quarter in particular). And I think the direct play in the first quarter said as much about the Saints lack of pressure as it did the Swans' approach. Not that our guys didn't play well - clearly they did - but a team doesn't often get to play against as woeful an opposition as the Saints provided in that first quarter.

I agree with your observation about overuse of handball as the game went on. Maybe it was just an opportunity to practice, but they were doing quite a lot of long, forward handballs that could have been short kicks. Handballs to moving players can create fast play, but loopy handballs to a guy that has to stop and wait tend to slow play down and invite the pressure.

Hayward fined $1500 for misconduct against Savage: Docker handed one-match ban for striking - AFL.com.au.

Warming the Bench
    I think you will find that at quarter time
    The saints coaching staff would have put some plans in place so we couldn't continue to
    pierce them through the middle
    hence we didn't win by 200pts
    Just a thought

Well, that was worth the trip to Melbourne.
    Albeit a bit disappointed we didn't beat them by over 100.
    Seriously, we NEED the percentage.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches votes

9 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
    5 Callum Sinclair (SYD)
    4 Lance Franklin (SYD)
    4 Luke Parker (SYD)
    4 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    2 Zak Jones (SYD)
    2 Oliver Florent (SYD)

Break down
    Kennedy 5-4
    Sinclair 5-0
    Franklin/Parker/Heeney 4-0/3-1/3-1
    Florent/Jones 2-0/2-0

Which coach thought Sinclair was BOG and which coach didn't think he was in the best 5 players?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post

Which coach thought Sinclair was BOG and which coach didn't think he was in the best 5 players?
    Probably Richardson, because his ruckman Tom Hickey got one more hit out and only 13 less fantasy points than Sinclair.......but I agree, Sinkers was definitely in the top five players with his 4 goals (Hickey got none).

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches votes

9 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
    5 Callum Sinclair (SYD)
    4 Lance Franklin (SYD)
    4 Luke Parker (SYD)
    4 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    2 Zak Jones (SYD)
    2 Oliver Florent (SYD)

Break down
    Kennedy 5-4
    Sinclair 5-0
    Franklin/Parker/Heeney 4-0/3-1/3-1
    Florent/Jones 2-0/2-0

Gotta admit, I like predicting this to myself every week, generally based on how the Swans players performed respective to their typical performance to extrapolate Longmire's votes.

Reckon:

Longmire:
    5 Sinclair
    4 Joey
    3 Heeney
    2 Florent
    1 Franklin

Richardson:
    5 Kennedy
    4 Parker
    3 Franklin
    2 Jones
    1 Heeney

Reckon Jones was stiff not to get votes from both.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910