Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R13 v Eagles

Not sure Alir has fallen off a cliff
    Probably given 6 games since the Prelim in 2016 and 3 of those have been out of position
    Id like to see hime with Melican and find another to leave out

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I agree with that. It makes me a bit sad. I'm sorry it's gone this way. I know I am not alone in feeling thrilled by Aliir's dashing play in 2016 - the crowd rose, it was warming, and for me at least, a source of pride.

He had a long period out injured, took a while to recover, perhaps lost some confidence. Melican's rise has been part of it - Melican is excellent and definitely deserves his place in the first 22. It has been a little disappointing they have not turned to him in recent weeks as he seems to have come into form a little while Melican is still out. They have gone for the safer option in Marsh. I agree his window is shutting and I'd also love to see them give him a chance in a big game at the SCG this Friday, but also doubt they will.
    I wonder if any other clubs were genuinely interested in him last year. We'll be kicking ourselves if we rejected a decent offer because we'd get nothing for him now.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bungwahl View Post
    The size of the SCG is irrelevant these days. If you stand in the centre circle it's literally 2.5m shorter in each direction than the MCG, or 0.5m shorter and 1m narrower each way compared to the Gabba. Bigger than the ground we were on last week!

Good post. Just about everybody, including all the commentators, refer to SCG as if it is way smaller. They go on outdated information like the "experienced" hard bodied mid fielders that we have. Piss poor research and analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Good post. Just about everybody, including all the commentators, refer to SCG as if it is way smaller. They go on outdated information like the "experienced" hard bodied mid fielders that we have. Piss poor research and analysis.
    This drives me to derision the whole 'postage stamp SCG' garbage the commentators crap on about! But lazy like every other clich� the commentators usually trot out.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    This drives me to derision the whole 'postage stamp SCG' garbage the commentators crap on about.
    Yep, I find myself often correcting people on that out-of-date misconception.

While we are talking distance
    Is it just me or has buddy not kicked a goal outside 50 since round 2 ?

Veterans List
    Re: SCG size, I've got to admit, I've never seen any ground in the AFL whose 50m arc is as close to the centre square as it is at the SCG. That alone gives me the impression at least, that the SCG is the shortest ground in the AFL by a noticeable margin.

PS: I've just Googled and come up with this:

https://cobbastevens.files.wordpress...izes.jpg?w=695

According to it, the SCG is 8.5m shorter than the MCG and 5m narrower......that's quite considerable and indeed makes it the shortest ground in the AFL but it's not the smallest in area. Westpac is .5m longer but 21m narrower!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 12th June 2018 at 11:40 PM.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    Re: SCG size, I've got to admit, I've never seen any ground in the AFL whose 50m arc is as close to the centre square as it is at the SCG. That alone gives me the impression at least, that the SCG is the shortest ground in the AFL by a noticeable margin.

Westpac is .5m longer but 21m narrower!
    Where is Westpac?

Changes for R13 v Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post

According to it, the SCG is 8.5m shorter than the MCG and 5m narrower......that's quite considerable and indeed makes it the shortest ground in the AFL but it's not the smallest in area. Westpac is .5m longer but 21m narrower!
    That table is pre the redevelopment when the Noble and Bradman stands were rebuilt. At the same time the length of the playing arena was increased (but not the width).

One thing that makes comparisons between grounds difficult is to be certain the comparisons are for the playing arena only, not the ground dimensions.

The SCG website used to have a nice summary of SCG facts that included playing dimensions for AFL and for cricket (the latter bigger than the former). I can�t find it now (the SCG Trust site seems to have been revamped as an advertisement for the government�s planned revamp/rebuild).

However I�m sure that the AFL playing arena dimensions at the SCG are now 155m wide by 136m long. This is almost identical to the Gabba - and I�ve never heard anyone refer to the Gabba as �postage stamp� size.

Before the lengthening, I understand the �50m� arcs were actually less than 50m - otherwise they would have touched the centre square. The people who think the SCG is tiny still have that era in mind.

The SCG is also considerably wider than various other grounds: e.g. Adelaide Oval, Etihad & Simmons (or whatever it�s currently called).

The best table I know of is here (while I�m confident that the SCG dimensions refer to the AFL playing area, I wonder about those shown for the MCG - I suspect the MCG ones are total arena size)

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/new...-adelaide-oval

(All of which is right off topic for this thread, sorry Liz move it if you wish.)
    Last edited by Meg; 13th June 2018 at 03:23 AM.

Micky O was hilarious on THE BACK PAGE LIVE last night.
    I wish it was easier to post a pic or a video on here albeit I understand it�s all done voluntarily and on a vegemite sandwich.
    Any way after his run in on the field with Danny Williams, on instruction he was frog marched by security after the game to the team bus where a bunch of angry West Coast Eagles supporters had gathered.
    He looked up and was hit smack in the head by an orange.
    The missile had clearly been hurled by an old lady in the Eagles huddle.

Who knows if the story has gatheted legs over the years.
    I�m just pleased I was actually there to see it live.

There were other funny anecdotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    That table is pre the redevelopment when the Noble and Bradman stands were rebuilt. At the same time the length of the playing arena was increased (but not the width).

One thing that makes comparisons between grounds difficult is to be certain the comparisons are for the playing arena only, not the ground dimensions.

The SCG website used to have a nice summary of SCG facts that included playing dimensions for AFL and for cricket (the latter bigger than the former). I can�t find it now (the SCG Trust site seems to have been revamped as an advertisement for the government�s planned revamp/rebuild).

However I�m sure that the AFL playing arena dimensions at the SCG are now 155m wide by 136m long. This is almost identical to the Gabba - and I�ve never heard anyone refer to the Gabba as �postage stamp� size.

Before the lengthening, I understand the �50m� arcs were actually less than 50m - otherwise they would have touched the centre square. The people who think the SCG is tiny still have that era in mind.

The SCG is also considerably wider than various other grounds: e.g. Adelaide Oval, Etihad & Simmons (or whatever it�s currently called).

The best table I know of is here (while I�m confident that the SCG dimensions refer to the AFL playing area, I wonder about those shown for the MCG - I suspect the MCG ones are total arena size)

Skinny flat: new Adelaide Oval one of League's thinnest - portadelaidefc.com.au

(All of which is right off topic for this thread, sorry Liz move it if you wish.)
    You�re correct that the SCG is 155x136.

The Port article shows how confusing it can be to find accurate information on ground dimensions. MCG playing dimensions are 160x141m

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    While we are talking distance
    Is it just me or has buddy not kicked a goal outside 50 since round 2 ?
    He kicked one against the Crows, and that was what, Round 5?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast