Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for R13 v Eagles

For those interested in ground sizes, these are the current measurements, according to the latest AFL Record Season Guide.

grounds.PNG

As can be seen, while the SCG is the shortest ground, it isn't really significant. Compared to the two Melbourne grounds, it's 5m shorter than Etihad and 6m shorter than the MCG, but it's actually 7m wider than Etihad. Further looking at width, the SCG is the third widest ground, with it's 136m only being surpassed by the 138m of the Gabba and Canberra. So all up, it could probably be claimed that there is a rough equivalence in playing areas of the current venues.
    Of course, if somebody who is particularly good at calculus, wants to work out the actual playing areas; feel free.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    While we are talking distance
    Is it just me or has buddy not kicked a goal outside 50 since round 2 ?
    I mentioned this to one of my friends last Saturday night. I've noticed that if he's at 55-60m out (and on his good side), he has been hesitating, and nine times out of 10, passes the ball off to someone else.
    What do you think the problem is here?
    Injury? Yips? Confidence?
    I hope it doesn't continue.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Are the swans playing in town on Friday night?
    According to the silence from the media......
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.

Cant be an injury as his kicking in general has been good, maybe he has been told to look for teammates more

Personally if Bud is within range i reckon he should be having a shot from anywhere

When Reid gets back id love to see Bud play CHF as his field kicking is exceptional and he is always (normally) a chance from 50 to 70m

This is the team that played against WCE in round one.
    Lance Franklin, Luke Parker, Jake Lloyd, Isaac Heeney, Callum Mills, Callum Sinclair, George Hewett, Josh P. Kennedy, Will Hayward, Nick Smith, Kieren Jack, Zak Jones, Nic Newman, Tom Papley, Dean Towers, Dane Rampe, Harry Cunningham, Lewis Melican, Jarrad McVeigh, Robbie Fox, Oliver Florent, Heath Grundy.

These are the changes to our Rd.1 team as played last week against Saints:
    Out: Mills, Melican, Fox, Towers, Jack
    In: Hannebery, Marsh, Ronke, McCartin, Robinson

These are the changes to our Rd.1 team that I suspect will emerge from the match committee this week for the Rd. 13 return clash against Eagles:
    Out: Mills, Melican, Fox, Towers.
    In: Hannebery, Marsh, Ronke, McCartin.

These are the changes to our Rd.12 team that I suspect will emerge from the match committee this week for the return clash against Eagles:
    Out: Robinson.
    In: Jack.

My observations:
    * Maybe Towers also comes back in at Marsh's expense - thereby reducing changes to just three since round 1. I like Towers as an extra mid-tall option. Not sure how he's going in ressies, but I think he's best 22. Maybe Horse is resting him or asking him to work on some role he will be called on to play later in the year.
    * I think we are travelling pretty well to have so few changes from round 1.
    * I think we are a stronger team for the Ins as opposed to the Rd.1 selected team.
    * Don't think Horse will want too many changes for this game.
    * I think both the Eagles and us are travelling better than what we saw in round One - if we are honest Buddy saved us that day.
    * I suspect Eagles are at or near peak. Will be surprised if they stay at No.1 come finals time.
    * I think there is a lot of improvement left in our game - we are working up to something.
    * Richmond seem to be jog-trotting in the same manner as us. Doing what they have to do with heaps of room to improve.
    * Richmond v. Swans Grand Final.

Senior Player
    Cant be an injury as his kicking in general has been good, maybe he has been told to look for teammates more

Personally if Bud is within range i reckon he should be having a shot from anywhere

When Reid gets back id love to see Bud play CHF as his field kicking is exceptional and he is always (normally) a chance from 50 to 70m

He is fantastic up the ground and the most damaging inside 50 metre kick we have. McVeigh is really good but his kicks are shorter.

Why has Towers been dropped? Is he injured?
    He was playing some of the best footy we'd ever seen him play.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Why has Towers been dropped? Is he injured?
    He was playing some of the best footy we'd ever seen him play.
    He was playing well before he injured his eye in training, missed a week, and then had a quieter week on his return.

But, to answer your question, I'm not really sure why he's out of the team. His first couple of games back in the NEAFL were only so-so (or so I thought) but I think he was the Swans' best in the first half against Sydney Uni when the game was in the balance. I'd have brought him back into the senior line-up ahead of Newman or Robinson (who kinda replaced Newman after a week), notwithstanding the fact that I thought Robbo did OK against the Saints.

�Aliir is pushing for a senior recall after managing only four games since his impressive debut season in 2016. He last played in round four off a limited preparation but his form has been strong in the seconds.�

�"His last two weeks have been really consistent. He's a chance to get back in and contribute. We think he can still play a really important role in our team," Longmire said.�

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swa...zl0t.html?btis

It would make sense to bring Aliir in this week given the makeup of the Eagles' squad. Even with Darling out, we still have Kennedy and Waterman to cover in the forward line along with a resting ruckman. It's a big job for Sinclair to go solo against Nicnat and Lycett. Aliir could give him a spell in the ruck and make a legitimate contest, at least against Lycett, while having the size to cover one of the talls. I would drop Marsh, who is a bit undersized to really have a good matchup.

It sounds like Jack is ready to come back and would expect that he will replace Robinson.

I would also drop McCartin and bring in O'Riordon, who I thought was BOG in the NEAFL. His form has been very good all year. It's useless to have McCartin going up against the likes of McGovern, Barrass and Hurn. In fact, we will have to run the ball into the forward line or get Buddy isolated 1 on 1. You can't just bomb the ball in against the Eagles' defence.

O'Riordan can take either Cripps or Lecras. Jones can move into the midfield, where we will need to dominate to win the game. We have to offset the Eagles winning the bulk of the hitouts, with many going to advantage.

I think it is an injury - one that mostly only troubles him when he really pushes it to his limit. I definitely agree he has not been taking shots that he normally would and I don't think this is anything to do with confidence, except because of a physical limitation he didn't have before.

I agree with you, Ludwig.

I don't agree that the ins/outs compared to round 1 are making us a stronger team. If we are a stronger team now, I think it is because the other players in the team are playing better not because of personnel changes. I think our form is still middling with a lot of room to improve. We have looked better the past few weeks because we have been playing weaker opposition. However, we have been more consistent which is pleasing.

Also I think in at least in the games we dropped against Adelaide and North there may have been a hint of complacency and/or comedown from a big win the week before. Happily, I don't think that's going to be an issue against West Coast this week and I'm fairly optimistic/confident that we are going to beat them, albeit not easily.

Latest news is that they are going to select Brander: Eagles name seventh debutant to face Swans - AFL.com.au. So that's another 195 cm tall player in the front half which means Aliir could take him.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast