Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes for R13 v Eagles

Regular in the Side
    Eagles name seventh debutant to face Swans - AFL.com.au

Jarrod Brander of 1.95m who "booted 11 goals and averaged 6.6 marks in eight appearances for East Perth" will replaced Darling

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I think it is an injury - one that mostly only troubles him when he really pushes it to his limit. I definitely agree he has not been taking shots that he normally would and I don't think this is anything to do with confidence, except because of a physical limitation he didn't have before.
    It could be down to a lack of training - ie the heel injury may no longer be restricting him significantly during games, but he may still be on a lighter training load, giving him less time to practice his kicking and get confidence in his timing and range.

I think with Brander coming in we will have to play Aliir, but Marsh is more likely to hold his spot in lieu of O'Riordan. They're quite a tall team for the norm these days, with 3 legit tall forward and 2 legit ruckmen. It's a big contrast between the top 2 teams this year in the structure of their forward lines.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think with Brander coming in we will have to play Aliir, but Marsh is more likely to hold his spot in lieu of O'Riordan. They're quite a tall team for the norm these days, with 3 legit tall forward and 2 legit ruckmen. It's a big contrast between the top 2 teams this year in the structure of their forward lines.
    Aliir & O'Riordan in red at this mornings training session - you know what that means!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Aliir & O'Riordan in red at this mornings training session - you know what that means!
    Except that so is Dawson in the 3rd photo, and he won't be coming into the team (not yet). The huge grin on Aliir's face might be a better hint - though it isn't unusual to see him grinning, Longmire's comments certainly give hope to the Aliir fans that we might see him this week.

I see McCartin was channelling his inner Heeney (picture 6).

Aliir also has a new ridiculous haircut, which is another good sign.

Veteran Site Admin
    That haircut is actually quite modest compared to the one he was sporting against Sydney Uni. (I haven't watched any of the Redlands game.) Ten days ago the top "Mohican" aspect of the cut was far more pronounced. Today's picture just looks as if someone has trimmed the top off.

Looking beyond this game, do you think Grundy, Rampe, Melican, and Aliir can be in the same team? With McVeigh, Smith, and Lloyd as the other main defenders, I don�t think we would have enough dash out of defence.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    �Aliir is pushing for a senior recall after managing only four games since his impressive debut season in 2016. He last played in round four off a limited preparation but his form has been strong in the seconds.�

�"His last two weeks have been really consistent. He's a chance to get back in and contribute. We think he can still play a really important role in our team," Longmire said.�

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swa...zl0t.html?btis
    It's unusual for Longmire to give a one-on-one interview to a print media journo. Some good targeted questioning there by Andrew Wu.

Some notes from the presser:
    - Longmire brought up Aliir as a possible in against WCE, although then noted Marsh could play tall
    - he noted some clubs had played two rucks against WCE and it was a consideration this week
    - he warmly noted the contribution of Dean Cox and particularly credited him with Sinclair's development. I must say, I've been impressed been Cox.

Quote Originally Posted by AB Swannie View Post
    Looking beyond this game, do you think Grundy, Rampe, Melican, and Aliir can be in the same team? With McVeigh, Smith, and Lloyd as the other main defenders, I don�t think we would have enough dash out of defence.
    I've always felt it was feasible to have 3 KDs if only one, in this case Reg, was on the slow side. Melican and Aliir are both quite quick and Aliir can actually provide some dash out of defence. Rampe is genuinely quick and can play as running defender, which I believe he's better suited to than being locked into a KD role. Rampe just does everything well, so it's easy to find a role for him.

I don't think playing 3 KDs against Richmond, or similar forward lines, is a good idea. I would actually drop Reg against Richmond, despite him being our best KD. There's simply not a good matchup for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    It's unusual for Longmire to give a one-on-one interview to a print media journo. Some good targeted questioning there by Andrew Wu.

Some notes from the presser:
    - Longmire brought up Aliir as a possible in against WCE, although then noted Marsh could play tall
    - he noted some clubs had played two rucks against WCE and it was a consideration this week
    - he warmly noted the contribution of Dean Cox and particularly credited him with Sinclair's development. I must say, I've been impressed been Cox.
    I�ve just watched the video of Longmire�s press conference today and all the quotes come from that. Wu didn�t get this article from a one-on-one but he was quick to get it up on the SMH website.

Also it was a reporter who asked a question about Aliir that led to Longmire�s comments. Still John is very circumspect in all his responses so still might be good news for Aliir.

Longmire Press Conference - 13th June, 2018 - sydneyswans.com.au

Hasn't done Foote much good.