Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 13, Swans vs Eagles, 7:50pm, SCG #AFLSwansEagles @sydneyswans

Positives for Etihad
    *More likely to win
    *If we do win it will be discounted as being at a smaller field, so underdog status maintained

Positives for MCG
    *good experience for September, especially the younger guys
    *more likely to lose which is good for the home and away but gives us a reality check of whet is required in September.

Etihad is better for ladder position, but not for September preparation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    Yeah Kennedy basically ran into Rampe and just bounced off cheers of justice for that miss.
    very soft free kick and when Kennedy (WC) missed it i thought 'it got what it deserved'

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Makes no sense that this game is at docklands and not the MCG.
    Yes, it's annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger1300 View Post
    MCG
    We need to play there as much as possible
    as an MCC member i agree

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Makes no sense that this game is at docklands and not the MCG.
    It makes perfect sense. Richmond are unbeatable at the MCG and the AFL will do anything to orchestrate another premiership for the Swans. Just another example of Sydney favoritism.

Here is yet one more example of how the AFL are doing their best to help our Swans. An umpire stages forceful contact with Dustin Martin in an effort to get him suspended for the next game:

Category: | Herald Sun

If we win a premiership this year I would prefer to do it without so much assistance from AFLHQ.

Some assorted thoughts about the game:

* we turned the ball over a lot because they pressured so well

* our defence was immense, all of them

* Tom McCartin's best game so far, exciting to see

* was awesome to see NicNat in the flesh. He has real star power and he is so big! The Eagles make it to the SCG so seldom these days.

* I was delighted by Aliir's game but it was uneven. The highlights were his aerial prowess and his composure. His weaknesses were not just his mercurial ball use but his ground level defence and tackling which need to improve.

* Aliir is ideal in the loose, covering/spoiling/intercepting role. Although I think Marsh again had a solid game and deserved his place I would prefer to see McVeigh return at the expense of Marsh than Aliir. I think the match committee have been wanting to select Aliir all season (which is why they had a go at selecting him even while he was out of form) and have been waiting to have a reason to select him again.

* Personally I think we can (and should, when fit and in form) pick Reg, Rampe, Melican and Aliir in the same team - not sure if the match committee will feel the same way. Rampe, Melican and Aliir are all so mobile and can play smaller (indeed Rampe is only 189 cm).

* I think we are a genuine contender this year, without being standout. I don't fear any opposition. I reckon our opponents would be more worried about us.

* I agree the improvement in the team is in the bottom 6. Indeed the form of some of our senior players is the most concerning part of our season, Hanners and Jack in particular. I hope they come good. Hewett remains the most under-appreciated, even here where we do appreciate him - the youngsters get much more attention than he.

* My personal highlight for the match was Rampe spoiling Kennedy's kick for goal from the mark. Watching Rampe it was conspicuous how much effort he puts into disrupting and psyching out the goal kicker when he is standing the mark. His tactic in the instance where he spoiled Kennedy's kick was cunning brilliance. He crouched down as Kennedy was walking in and then leapt up into the air when Kennedy kicked and was able to reach and spoil the ball. I thought he also succeeded in psyching out another West Coast kick for goal while standing the mark in the fourth quarter - on this occasion his tactic included turning disinterestedly away and walking towards the West Coast goal as the kicker was about to come in and then turning and running back toward him. In my early days watching AFL I used to wonder why more players didn't do this stuff more often. These days it does happen more often but Rampe is as good as any I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Is there a NEAFL game this weekend that Reid, Melican etc could play in as a tune up (if fit)?
    No, unfortunately not. Next match in Sydney against Brisbane next week, midday Saturday at BISP.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post

* My personal highlight for the match was Rampe spoiling Kennedy's kick for goal from the mark. Watching Rampe it was conspicuous how much effort he puts into disrupting and psyching out the goal kicker when he is standing the mark. His tactic in the instance where he spoiled Kennedy's kick was cunning brilliance. He crouched down as Kennedy was walking in and then leapt up into the air when Kennedy kicked and was able to reach and spoil the ball. I thought he also succeeded in psyching out another West Coast kick for goal while standing the mark in the fourth quarter - on this occasion his tactic included turning disinterestedly away and walking towards the West Coast goal as the kicker was about to come in and then turning and running back toward him. In my early days watching AFL I used to wonder why more players didn't do this stuff more often. These days it does happen more often but Rampe is as good as any I've seen.
    I thought it was just his dirty mo that did it for him Bloodspirit :P Rampe is truly a superb footballer though - love watching him play, and the teamwork across our back 6 (the rookie built rock solid defence) is a joy to watch.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Coaches' votes

Yeo 10
    Lloyd 8
    Grundy 3
    Naitanui 3
    Kennedy (SYD) 3
    Florent 2
    Franklin 1

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Coaches' votes

Yeo 10
    Lloyd 8
    Grundy 3
    Naitanui 3
    Kennedy (SYD) 3
    Florent 2
    Franklin 1

Bit harsh on Reg & Ollie I thought and to a lesser extent Kennedy. Can't argue with Yeo getting 10 - he was very good and that goal at the end of the third...brilliant.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If you asked Longmire he�d say, with a faint laugh, �we don�t worry about things like that. We don�t control where we play. We just worry about what we can control.�
    Haha I read that with Longmire's voice in my head. That is exactly what he would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This same question arose re: Geelongs �home� game on the MCG. Is it better to play the Tigers at Etihad (where it might be easier) or the MCG (where we�ll have to beat them if we both make the GF)?
    Good point. I'd prefer the G. We need more games there.