Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R23 v Hawthorn

R23 v Hawthorn

On AFL Tonight it was reported the Swans have requested for their R23 v Hawthorn to be played on Saturday arvo at a family friendly time to accommodate their members, even though the AFL want to pencil it in for Friday night. (This is the floating round),

Veterans List
    The AFL will not do what's best for us, they will do what benefits them. They want to maximise tv audience. It will depend on whether the hawks are in the finals.

Do we know when they release the round 23 schedule?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Looking at the other matches scheduled for Round 23, the Swans Hawthorn game is probably the one of most interest and hence likely to draw the biggest audience on Friday night

Maybe Demons GWS could challenge if the Giants pick up their game before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The AFL will not do what's best for us, they will do what benefits them. They want to maximise tv audience. It will depend on whether the hawks are in the finals.

Do we know when they release the round 23 schedule?
    Last year the AFL announced the round 23 schedule on Tuesday 1st August, prior to round 20.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    On AFL Tonight it was reported the Swans have requested for their R23 v Hawthorn to be played on Saturday arvo at a family friendly time to accommodate their members, even though the AFL want to pencil it in for Friday night. (This is the floating round),
    Regardless of whether the club gets its wish, it's good to see that they are aware of how un-family friendly this year's draw is. Maybe next year they'll ask for (and get) a better balance between evening and weekend afternoon games. I suspect they asked for it this year but the AFL seems to like the Swans on a Friday or Sat evening (or on a Thursday evening). I guess it comes with being one of the teams who can be relied upon to be competitive each year but I'd prefer more day games (and I'm not even a family).

Happy and I know it
    I'm considering giving up my membership next year (after 22 years) and selectively buying tickets for home games at times that suit me. I want more day games, not twilight games nor night games. Thursday and Friday nights are just too hard.

Not that the AFL cares what I want.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Yep, this year's draw has been a disaster for young kids or out of town members.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Regardless of whether the club gets its wish, it's good to see that they are aware of how un-family friendly this year's draw is. Maybe next year they'll ask for (and get) a better balance between evening and weekend afternoon games. I suspect they asked for it this year but the AFL seems to like the Swans on a Friday or Sat evening (or on a Thursday evening). I guess it comes with being one of the teams who can be relied upon to be competitive each year but I'd prefer more day games (and I'm not even a family).
    Me too.
    I'd happily swap the Thursday nights & some Friday's for a few afternoon games.

I totally agree; I don't mind the trip down (from the Mountains) but it is too far, slow an cold on the way home.

I hope Jenny (if she is still in Membership) gets to see this thread

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    Yep, this year's draw has been a disaster for young kids or out of town members.
    Wholeheartedly agree. I occasionally take some unconverted to the game from the Central Coast. Also, my 5 year old grandson loves the game but the night games are impossible to do. I am now getting on in years and love the live spectacle but the travel and colder weather makes the experience less inviting. More afternoon games please.

I echo comments from others here - it hasn't been a family friendly or those that travel a fair distance to get to the SCG friendly draw. We are very glad we made the trip up last night, but was a long trip home and only arrived back about 2.30. Hope we can get some more afternoon games next year - and really hope the Hawks game is an afternoon game also.

5 afternoon/twilight games and rest night would be a good balance if you ask me.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

I cycle to the ground from the Rocks (work there , live North West) and during Vivid and the construction chaos it�s a hassle.
    Didn�t get home till after midnight . Too late for sure. Work next day.
    The crowd of nearly 37k was pretty good. for a chilly night though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast