Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Swans Head of Football Dept.

Veterans List

New Swans Head of Football Dept.

When Tom Harley moves into his new CEO role, we will need a new Head of Football.....and here he is.

Swans appoint new Head of Football - sydneyswans.com.au

I've never heard of him but I'm sure our club leaves no stone unturned to find the best for our club's future. Good luck Charlie Gardiner!! He used to play for St Kilda and, wait for it......Geelong! Go Tommy Harley......it's lucky I like Geelong as a club.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 20th June 2018 at 03:08 PM.

Stevie j and now this.
    Impartial appointment from Harley?

Fascinating appointment. I've never heard of him either. Exciting times.

Makes me wonder more than ever what this role does. The role must be heavily involved in list management and negotiating player contracts which would explain why Charlie's qualifications and background make him so well suited to the role. I notice on the Swans website that the 'Head of Football' is not considered a coaching role, as I had vaguely imagined it would be. Also explains why his experience as 'Head of Football' qualifies Tom Harley to move into the CEO role. But why does Tom Harley, unlike, say, Andrew Ireland, sit on the sidelines during matches then? I would have thought you could see the game better from the coaches box (hence why the coaches sit there). Is that just an initiative of his own? Does it help him peer in to the players' souls better?

It's a bit unclear whether he's starting now (that seems the most obvious) or later when Andrew Ireland retires, or some time in between.

So pleased that Andrew Ireland is going to join our board. Tom Harley is a well groomed and quality replacement. And hopefully Charlie Gardiner will prove his worth. His credentials seem impeccable for dealing with contracts and list management of AFL players, especially if he has transactional as well as litigation experience in his legal career. It is promising that he was the Geelong players' representative to the AFLPA because it shows he understands the players' point of view and can (and hopefully will) be respected by them too.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Stevie j and now this.
    Impartial appointment from Harley?
    We really need to be wary of a silent plot to bring the club to its knees. Geelong fans I know have never forgiven us for the day that Nicky Boy saved us.

Just to piss Eddie off, I really hope Gardiner's boys are gun football players and come through the Academy system into the warm, embracing arms of their new Swanny "Mum".

Jobs for all the boys, much?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    It's a bit unclear whether he's starting now (that seems the most obvious) or later when Andrew Ireland retires, or some time in between.

So pleased that Andrew Ireland is going to join our board. Tom Harley is a well groomed and quality replacement. And hopefully Charlie Gardiner will prove his worth. His credentials seem impeccable for dealing with contracts and list management of AFL players, especially if he has transactional as well as litigation experience in his legal career. It is promising that he was the Geelong players' representative to the AFLPA because it shows he understands the players' point of view and can (and hopefully will) be respected by them too.
    Gardiner starts November 1 and Harley takes over from Ireland December 21.

Senior Player
    Head Of Footballs is a really important position at the club. Basically it involves anything to do with the actual footballs the club uses at training, handing out the little foam ones the players kick out into the crowd after games sometimes, buying the match balls from Rebel the day before each home game, and getting the memorabilia auction footballs signed by all the players. A big part of his day is collecting all the balls from under the seats in Bay 13 at the SCG that have ended up there after failed attempts at kicking for goal in Steve Johnson's banana kicking masterclass all the players are now required to take at training.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    We really need to be wary of a silent plot to bring the club to its knees. Geelong fans I know have never forgiven us for the day that Nicky Boy saved us.

Just to piss Eddie off, I really hope Gardiner's boys are gun football players and come through the Academy system into the warm, embracing arms of their new Swanny "Mum".
    That's a bit extreme. One downside of employing and promoting only your mates is that it causes a lot of internal friction, which invariably leads to good people leaving and the company under performing.

Harley, an L-plate executive, probably hasn't come across this before in his very limited corporate experience.

Veterans List
    I'm sure this isn't a 'jobs for the boys' appointment. Tom Harley doesn't 'run the club'.......yet ......but he does know our culture well enough now to help appoint people that 'fit'.

Charlie Gardiner was one of my favourite players from another club. He's a good selection. His starting date had to be put off till the end of the season as Charlie will require intensive training to get him up to speed to take over the critical role of Football Manager, i.e. doing the 2 minute specious High Chief of Football (HCF) Injury Update videos.

Lucky for Charlie that Ludwig has a course especially designed for Football Managers called "How to Lie with a Straight Face".

And congratulations to our Head Coach upon successfully completing the course: "How to Move Your Lips Without Saying Anything".

All is well and good in Swanland.

Ted Richards likes him, which carries weight with me;

Ted Richards (@tedrichards25)
    20/6/18, 5:41 pm
    Fantastic appointment. We studied at uni together for a couple of years. Always my go to for group assignments. ???? twitter.com/sydneyswans/st�

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast