Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 14 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If Harris Andrews is forced to retire from football due to a brain injury from the incident, even if this is determined some time in the future, should Cameron be given additional penalties for ending a player's career? Could such a player receive a lifetime ban in a sort of 'eye for an eye' type sanction?
    I'm in the camp of penalising based on the action and intent more so than the injuries that resulted. The argument that if Harris had got up and played on makes it a 1 to 2 week penalty doesn't make sense.

If his intent was to end Harris' career, then he should cop a massive penalty. But that wasn't his intent, so why panalise him for that?
    If he carelessly attacked the player and caused the potential for a more serious injury, then penalise him for that.

When I saw the incident, I said 6 based on what I saw. I stand by that.
    Regardless of the injury, it looked like 6 before he even hit the ground.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Lot of emotion about this one. Tribunal could do anything.
    Out of interest what was the last BIG suspension the AFL dished out?

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Still think 4 based on that. Had his arms going up to mark/spoil, then braced for contact. (Roughly, no doubt). 4 is a long suspension by today's standards.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Agreed. Thanks for posting.

Awful footage. Deserves whatever he gets. Not as bad as Hall's strike on Staker but times have changed, especially the attitude to protect the head.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Depends on what you mean by BIG. BUGG got six last year for his off-the-ball hit on Mills. Don't think there have been any more recent of that length or over.

Actually, the one it reminds me of is Steven may (gc) against Stephan Martin (lions) from 2 years ago. 5 weeks.

"Rough conduct, may ignores the ball and shirtfronts Brisbane s Stefan Martin, knocking him out in round four".

Arguably, Cameron wasn't ignoring the ball.

Senior Player
    Cameron was initially going for the ball but never shaped to mark. Saw Harris coming way too early and took his eyes off the ball. At least 5 weeks I reckon.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Veterans List
    No doubt it was a very dodgy act, bit using the Barry hall staker punch as a reference (7 weeks). Cameron was in a marking contest (or, in play), wasn't closed fist, and his head was turned away during contact.
    6 weeks is like saying it's almost just as bad as hall's strike.
    No, not a clenched fist, just an elbow....which is worse. Head position is irrelevant and Staker didn't suffer a brain bleed, just a very sore jaw, an 'unsplit' chin, and some mild concussion. Hall deserved 7 weeks, Cameron deserves definitely more than 4.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 26th June 2018 at 01:18 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    No, not a clenched fist, just an elbow....which is worse. Head position is irrelevant and Staker didn't suffer a brain bleed, just a very sore jaw, an 'unsplit' chin, and some mild concussion. Hall deserved 7 weeks, Cameron deserves definitely more than 4.
    IIRC Big Bad got 10 down to 7

Veterans List
    In 2016 Jonas got six for flying arm that knocked out Gaff who played next week. Bugg got six for off the ball KO of Mills.

Cameron went in with fist clenched to spoil, never got to do that and raised his elbow/forearm. (Probably) didn't mean to ko him but intended to make him earn the contest, got the action (arm) and force wrong, must pay the penalty, it's what they do nowadays, you have to be responsible for the outcome of your actions.

If Cameron kept the arm down and shirt fronted him he may have not been ko'd and Cameron would have got 4/3 down to 3/2. Do the crime, cop the time.

GWS BF site is trying to put blame on Harris Andrews! Thought Healy was good OTC last night, said GWS have failed to manage the aftermath correctly or professionally, I agree they've been amateur and taken no responsibility.

AFL has to be mindful of the image of the game and protecting players. Imagine the legal ramifications if this is career and therefore income ending. Lawyers picnic!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    The Hall incident was 13 years ago
    Pedant alert: 2008 (early in the season from memory). A little over 10 years ago.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast