Thread: Destination clubs

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar

Destination clubs

Just thought I'd post this article which is one man's opinion of all clubs and how attractive they are for recruits, traded players, etc.

Destination club ladder: Where does your side rank? - AFL.com.au

Veterans List
    Saw that.....was generally happy with what they wrote in the Swans section (5th best 'destination' club) except for this bit....."Will Collingwood's Darcy Moore be the
    next spearhead to head to Sin City in search of a quieter life?"
    Get off it Vic journo's.....we don't want the spud!

So, we have been ranked fifth, behind 1. Richmond 2. Collingwood (?!) 3. Geelong and 4. Hawthorn. I would have thought players on the move are searching for success and would prefer to go to clubs that consistently make finals.....putting both the Swans and Geelong at the forefront but of course, there are other factors players consider incl. geography and 'fear of travellng interstate' (Collingwood!).

Fair enough that the Tigers, as the reigning premiers, are high on the list but winning a flag less than two seasons ago hasn't done the Dogs any favours, I see they're ranked 13th as a 'destination' club.....at least the Tigers are backing up their previous seasons success and going a long way to proving that they were actually deserving of their flag.

The plain fact of the matter is, if you want to consistently play finals footy, the Sydney Swans are your best bet. but it is my suspicion that the three Melbourne based clubs in the top five are more attractive destinations because of their home ground.....the MCG.....and the cushy 'non travel' draw and the inexusable finals advantage that that home ground delivers to them.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 23rd June 2018 at 03:13 PM.

Players want to play at the MCG in front of 90,000.