Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: #AFL Round 14 Weekly Discussion Thread

So, a few thoughts on this one.

I�m generally in the camp that the act rather than the outcome should dictate the penalty. For example, when Hodge tried to break Wingard�s neck on the behind post a few years ago, the act demanded a severe penalty. That he was a micro second out in impact shouldn�t have diminished the penalty.

Cameron�s act was always going to risk severe consequences, too. If you remember the Steven May hit on Stefan Martin a few years ago, sharp hits to the head meant Martin�s form suffered for close to 18 months.

The fact Harris actually had brain bleeding is in some ways irrelevant. The fact that Cameron�s act risked that outcome is what he should be judged on. The fact Cameron could have had a broken jaw from a deliberate action, or whether it was either the contact or the impact on hitting the ground that caused brain bleeding, or whether or not Andrews� career suffers badly, is not the issue.

It�s the fact Cameron brought all these risks into play through a deliberate choice. So in my mind, it�s as bad an act as he could have committed. Eight weeks minimum.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Pedant alert: 2008 (early in the season from memory). A little over 10 years ago.
    Sorry, got mixed up with the McGuire gut punch
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by I�m-uninformed2 View Post
    So, a few thoughts on this one.

I�m generally in the camp that the act rather than the outcome should dictate the penalty. For example, when Hodge tried to break Wingard�s neck on the behind post a few years ago, the act demanded a severe penalty. That he was a micro second out in impact shouldn�t have diminished the penalty.

Cameron�s act was always going to risk severe consequences, too. If you remember the Steven May hit on Stefan Martin a few years ago, sharp hits to the head meant Martin�s form suffered for close to 18 months.

The fact Harris actually had brain bleeding is in some ways irrelevant. The fact that Cameron�s act risked that outcome is what he should be judged on. The fact Cameron could have had a broken jaw from a deliberate action, or whether it was either the contact or the impact on hitting the ground that caused brain bleeding, or whether or not Andrews� career suffers badly, is not the issue.

It�s the fact Cameron brought all these risks into play through a deliberate choice. So in my mind, it�s as bad an act as he could have committed. Eight weeks minimum.
    Yep, that's exactly where I sit.
    Well explained.
    Still say 6 though.
    Someone should make a poll
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

What did Hodge get for his wingard hit?. Wasn't he let off, or just a fine?

Three weeks down to two from memory

Five for Cameron .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Five for Cameron .
    Sounds about right to me. Was a very dangerous act, but not up there with deliberately clocking someone behind play like Bugg on Mills or Hall on Staker.

1 too many. Giants should appeal

Got off lightly, should have been at least 6.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678