Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 games to go

8 games to go

So we are two wins ahead of last season at round 15

We have 8 games to go

We have seen strong improvements in very young players emerging like Hayward, ronke, Florent, McCartin etc not to forget hewitt has gone to a whole new level and was fantastic vs tigers and has shut down elite players this season

Hannes
    Rohan
    Jack are all well below where they could be and I do believe they will rise up in season 2018 - only 8 games left

Reid and Melican to come back ASAP and are very very important players for our structure and flexibility of game plan.........Melican and Reid are not in the same class as Grimes and JR for the tigers but they play a similar important role for us and have been sorely missed

Not to forget a fit and firing Papley was missed on the weekend

Tippett, Naismith and Mills gone for season are big outs but we have adjusted well

But our depth in Newman, marsh, AA, Cameron, Towers, Rose is very good compared to a lot of teams ie they have a little AFL experience and can play a role

We have just had a touch up from the no1 team Tigers and have had a master class on pressure and capitalising on forced errors

So how will we respond?

what�s ur prediction ?

Where will finish?

I say we can win 7/8 on the way home........17wins total and playing against only teams below us on the table

Rd16 Home vs cats?
    Rd 17 away vs North?
    Rd 18 away vs Suns?
    Rd 19 away vs bombers?
    Rd 20 Home vs magpies?
    Rd 21 away vs Melbourne?
    Rd 22 away vs Giants?
    Rd 23 Home vs Hawks?
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 30th June 2018 at 07:32 AM.

That is a tough draw and will be a mighty effort to win all 8. We will probably be favourite in all of those games but with the Suns the only pushovers, I think 6 wins is par which gives us a 16-6 record and finishing top 4. The positive is that we will be battle hardened and ready for finals.

What an excellent thought for a thread - taking a longer view than "one game at a time".

It seems to me we do need to plan this journey (as well as win enough games to qualify). Top 2 gives some advantages, as does top 4, but the introduced 'bye' before the finals has somewhat reduced those advantages.

Then there is perhaps player management for 8 games.
    1. I agree Reid and Melican need to get good game time, and re-familiarization with the team. How many games in NEAFL and when to the Ones? Are McCartin and Allir played in the meantime as the best potentials for injury cover if a key forward or back are injured?
    2. I think I detect some disappointment with Jack/Rohan/Hannaberry - but that is forever, or a program needed to have them back at time X?
    3. Elsewhere I saw the distances run by McCartin and Florent were in the top 5 of all players Richmond and Sydney. Do they, Haywood and Ronke need some rest or a game with a changed role? Hewitt has been fantastic this year - how is he managing?

So, we were beaten by Richmond - and I thought beaten by the better team. June form is not conclusive, so there is time to manage the next 8 games to be as prepared as possible to march through September.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    What an excellent thought for a thread - taking a longer view than "one game at a time".

It seems to me we do need to plan this journey (as well as win enough games to qualify). Top 2 gives some advantages, as does top 4, but the introduced 'bye' before the finals has somewhat reduced those advantages.

Then there is perhaps player management for 8 games.
    1. I agree Reid and Melican need to get good game time, and re-familiarization with the team. How many games in NEAFL and when to the Ones? Are McCartin and Allir played in the meantime as the best potentials for injury cover if a key forward or back are injured?
    2. I think I detect some disappointment with Jack/Rohan/Hannaberry - but that is forever, or a program needed to have them back at time X?
    3. Elsewhere I saw the distances run by McCartin and Florent were in the top 5 of all players Richmond and Sydney. Do they, Haywood and Ronke need some rest or a game with a changed role? Hewitt has been fantastic this year - how is he managing?

So, we were beaten by Richmond - and I thought beaten by the better team. June form is not conclusive, so there is time to manage the next 8 games to be as prepared as possible to march through September.

Reckon we have done really well with a number of young players in the team. It will be a fine line between top 4, top 8 and even just missing out on finals.

I forgot to mention Sinclair�s load over the next 8 weeks. He has done so well but how can we �manage� him to best effect for September.
    Bringing Cameron in to share the load seems sensible but that would alter the one ruck structure that has served us well and would seemingly be the September option.
    I see match committee selection options as important over the 8 weeks

Senior Player

Veterans List
    Interesting that last week the Swans were playing for top spot and this week it's as if they have been delisted for all the media interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    Interesting that last week the Swans were playing for top spot and this week it's as if they have been delisted for all the media interest.
    Fine by me.

Its going to be hard to fall out of the top 5 from here, with the break between 5th and 6th 2 games.

Just got to try and jockey for as high a finish as possible, and hope MCG tenant clubs dont finish top 2.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Its going to be hard to fall out of the top 5 from here, with the break between 5th and 6th 2 games.

Just got to try and jockey for as high a finish as possible, and hope MCG tenant clubs dont finish top 2.
    Richmond barring some disaster are nailed on top 2. To be frank I would prefer Collingwood to finish 2nd than any of Port/Wet Toast/Giants , as while they are doing much better this season of course, I'm yet to be convinced they are genuine contenders. Interstate trips to AO or Optus Stadium would be tougher in my opinion.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Giants are no chance for top 2. They would be very lucky to make top 4.sundays game will determine if they have a chance. Even top 8 is a few hard yards away still.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Richmond barring some disaster are nailed on top 2. To be frank I would prefer Collingwood to finish 2nd than any of Port/Wet Toast/Giants , as while they are doing much better this season of course, I'm yet to be convinced they are genuine contenders. Interstate trips to AO or Optus Stadium would be tougher in my opinion.
    Collingwood should beat Brisbane and Fremantle, but the rest of their season looks tough. They'll finish 7th or 8th at best.

I took the even money about GWS making the eight, and I think that 50:50 is still about right. Cameron should come back just in time to get them into the finals.

Richmond are man-for-man the toughest team in the comp. They intimidated our blokes, especially the youngsters. The two hits that Rohan took were horrific; it felt like the ground shook - how he got up so quickly I'll never know. If it'd been me on the receiving end, they wouldn't have needed a stretcher - they'd have needed a bucket and a wheelbarrow to get me off the ground.

The Swans will comfortably make the final 4. We've got a top four team now, plus we've got Mellican, Reid and Papley to come in for the run home. $1.50 is about right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast