Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 games to go

I've revived this thread because it seemed so sensible to be thinking further than "one game at a time". Sure, we have to keep winning, but winning into September is also an objective.

I would give McCartin a rest for a couple of games. As a young player, he has far exceeded expectations, and he might be crucial for September now Reid is no option. But, a couple of games for Cameron with he and Sinclair sharing the ruck and forward (McCartin) roles seems sensible with the longer viewpoint.

Similarly, I would try and rest one or both of Florent and Haywood for a week or two. Robinson and Cunningham are both in the 22 and can step up; COR and Newman are doing OK (or better) and we can win without them

Finally, I almost hope Kennedy does not come up this week, and Dawson gets to play a bit in the midfield and a bit forward.

6 games to go before the R23 break.

No rest. This is the time to cement the finals 22. If u ain't got a game by now, it's next year for you (eg. Cameron)

I hope the Irish guy stays in.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No rest. This is the time to cement the finals 22. If u ain't got a game by now, it's next year for you (eg. Cameron)

I hope the Irish guy stays in.
    Last year Richmond brought in Jacob Townsend and Jack Graham very late in the season and they made a huge impact in the finals.

We, on the other hand, omitted to try Dawson and Aliir when they were in form in the reserves and got caught short. When Melican went down with injury we didn't have a replacement with much AFL game time to take his place. We also looked very tired, while Richmond were full of energy.

Bringing in a fresh player to spell a tired player late in the season can have its benefits and doesn't mean we are going to sacrifice on the scoreboard.

With 6 weeks left, there is still plenty of time to find the best team to take into finals as well as prepare for contingencies, like losing players for the finals due to injury.

Right now, we are probably still looking at going into the finals with Hanners, Jack and McVeigh, but I'm not sure they represent the best options given their form so far and our emerging change in playing style.

Regular in the Side
    As far as I am concerned it is a nobrainer that Cameron has to come in. He has been bashing the door down for some weeks in the NEAFL now. Sinclair is starting to look a little fatigued even though he topped the fantasy points for us against North. The Suns have two big ruckmen in Witts and Crossley so there will be no rest for the Swans rucks and I would not want to see either Parker or Kennedy going up against Crossley. Aliir has shown what he can do running out of defence. Let him consolidate on that. It seems a perfect opportunity against the out of form Suns for Cameron to debut. Given all that I will still not be surprised if Cameron is left on the shelf by the selectors who obviously know more about the players than I do.

Veterans List
    It was a failure to not bring in Dawson last year when he was smoking hot in the NEAFL. A unique player who has footy smarts and skills and size (not as tall as Cripps!) and a booming left foot.

Thank goodness they finally gave COR a start, he looked so composed with excellent vision, reading of the play and great skills, a great debut. Aliir, well he's returned to that 2016 form that had him rated on the cusp of Elite by Champion Data, these two players have instantly made us a much better side as seen against North at the Etihad Speedway, how refreshing was that game!!

McVeigh I'm happy to return at the expense of Marsh who is limited in ability (showed again against North) but KJ and Hanners are a liability, no more Gold Passes, we must move forward.

Marsh is a likely omission for Grundy, but I'm happy he has had a run

With the introduction of COR and Cameron to the senior side and the long term injuries of Reid and Melican along with concerns with Hanners and Jack, what team would we like to have going into the finals?

This is my team with the assumption that all players who aren’t out for the season are available:

B: Nick Smith, Heath Grundy, Dane Rampe
    HB: Jake Lloyd, Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh
    C: Harry Cunningham, Josh Kennedy, Zak Jones
    HF: Isaac Heeney, Tom McCartin, Oliver Florent
    F: Will Hayward, Lance Franklin, Tom Papley
    R: Callum Sinclair, Luke Parker, George Hewett

I: Ben Ronke, Dan Hannebery, Colin O’Riordan, Dean Towers

Hanners just makes it on the hope he can recapture some semblance of form as a 2016 version of Hanners would have is really challenging. I also remember the early games of this year when Towers was closer to our best six than the bottom six.

Veterans List
    In the space of a couple of weeks almost all RWO's selection changes have come to fruition. Out with under performing Gold Pass holders KJ & Hanners, in with our favourite NEAFL stars COR & Cameron plus whipping boys Foote & Towers not in this week despite injuries. Only need Dawson to hit high gear again.

I like the above team, I doubt first choice players, Reid & Melican will make it.

Will McVeigh be back in time?

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Will McVeigh be back in time?
    I think so. He’s already been doing some light pointing work at training. They are saying he’ll be back for Collingwood or Melbourne

Swans weighing up Kennedy conundrum - AFL.com.au

No Gary Rohan there. Saids a lot about his season so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    No Gary Rohan there. Saids a lot about his season so far.
    The emergence of Ronke has really put Rohan down the pecking order for me. For me, they play a similar role with Rohan slightly better at marking above his head but Ronke significantly better at contested possessions and ground ball gets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast