Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 16 - vs Geelong

In: Papley, Towers
    Out: Rose, Rohan

I can't recall a time in recent history when so many senior players didn't deserve their place in the team whilst so many reserves players deserved a chance;
    Lucky - Rohan, Jack, Aliir, Hanners(but has credits in the bank).
    Unlucky - Cameron, Maibaum, O'Riordon, Dawson (albeit due to injury), Newman and Towers (dare I admit it).

I'm not a fan of Rose and I don't see him being with us next year but I think he deserves another week. You could see he tried his guts out last week.

Jack is finished and has been on a rapid decline for the last couple of seasons. I think he is actually contracted until the end of next season which is astounding.
    Last edited by S.S. Bleeder; 3rd July 2018 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    This from Mark Robinson on Hanners (in the Dislikes funnily enough): Category: | Herald Sun

After Round 4, we said of Hannebery: �Jack Dyer used to say, �It�s no good being where the ball ain�t�, and Hannebery isn�t finding anywhere near the amount of ball he used to.�� Not much has changed in 10 weeks. You could argue Hannebery is in a two-season form slump. The animalistic attitude at contests and gut-busting running have dissipated and his possessions are run of the mill. In 2016, he had 802 disposals from 26 games. In 2017 it was 569 from 23. This year he averages 19 disposals a game (rated below average); seven contested possessions (poor); 199m gained (poor); two clearances (poor); zero goals (poor); three score involvements (poor); and 31 pressure points (poor). His drop has been astonishing and you have to wonder if the knee injury he suffered in the 2016 Grand Final against the Bulldogs is part of the reason.
    He hasn't been the same since Easton Wood nursed his knee in the 2016 GF. I put last years form down to that. Not sure what his problem is this year however.

It’s really sad how far and how fast Hanners and Jack have fallen.

But that doesn’t mean they deserve a place in the best 22

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Hanners was never that great at disposal, but he has certainly never been this bad. He should be in the prime of his career, so must be struggling with an injury.
    Surely, its worth resting him, even if only to get back to his best by 2019, 2020.

We dont want him to have to retire at 28.
    Depends on what his injury is (assuming he has one). Not all injuries need rest.

With no Heeney, Reid, Melican or Papley this week....

OUT : Heeney, Rohan

IN : Towers, O'Riordan

I never thought I'd want Towers over Rohan in the team...the time has come...

I'd love to see the Irishman given a game...

He's been playing well in the 2's and will potentially (if he plays well) bring that extra level of excitement that can help lift both team and supporters.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Whether it needs rest or not Hanners needs to get himself right before he deserves a place in the team.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think it's presumptuous. I think it reflects where the coaches see the two relative to each other. Aliir's been OK for the last couple of weeks but I don't think he's made is a better rebounding team. He has the potential to do so but I don't think he is yet. He still seems very conservative with his disposals - more so than Melican when he was settled in the team at the back end of last season and very early this season (including the pre-season campaign). However, I think Aliir's form has been good enough to warrant making Melican play another couple of games, at least, in the NEAFL team to make sure he's properly match fit. And if Aliir can maintain, or even improve on what he's delivered for the last couple of weeks, he'll make Melican really earn his recall, when it comes. He should get a good opportunity this week to play on a taller opponent. Grundy will get Hawkins, Rampe will probably be given the job of matching up on Dangerfield when he goes forward, and the Cats are likely to have at least one more tall in their forward line most of the time. Maybe he (Aliir) will be given the chance of playing on Dangerfield at times. Rampe struggled in the final last year because Danger is pretty good at elevating himself. Aliir's height and better leap might make him a better match-up physically, at least.

When I said "long term" I was referring mostly to the rest of this season - ie beyond this week and next. I acknowledge it wasn't a great choice of word. But I reckon Grundy has another year left in him if he wants it. If the coaches are reluctant, it's up to Melican and Aliir (and Maibaum) to convince them they're ready to take over from the start of next season.
    I agree with your post - Longmire has said Melican had Aliir's spot a few times. I hope Aliir is a little more adventurous with his play on Thursday.

Rampe gave more details about the Dangerfield plan in his press conference, after your post. That is Rampe will take him initially, with Smith as back-up. He said Aliir put his hand up, but seemed to dismiss that possibility. I tend to think Aliir would struggle to contain Dangerfield's agility and leap.

Senior Player
    I'm going to bang on about this again, but I think Hannebery will benefit from games. To build match fitness, confidence, touch now he is injury free. Contributing to wins will help. I don't think playing him in reserves will help. I think small steps are being made.

I think there is a distinction to be made between him and Jack, who seems more physically unable and the situation feels terminal.

Isn’t it the actual pace of the game that passes some older players by, especially if they are a bit banged up and hampered by parts of their body that are now hurting all the time.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It turns out that way because the we have structured our defence to suit our strengths and compensate for our lack of speed. We are always looking to get behind the ball which weakens our ability to press forward.

This will seem paradoxical, but I think Reg is our best defender, but we would have a better chance of winning the premiership this year playing Melican and Aliir and leaving Reg out of the side. ...
    I would rather have someone in the back half who is a very good kick rather than someone who can run quickly but can't hit target consistently. Reg and Meilcan have both shown they are great one on one and can move the ball reliably by foot. Having said that I still think we can have Reg, Ramps, Melican and AA in our back half.
    Alliir just needs to watch some footage of LRT to realise the effort/involvement required for AFL footy and he will be a star
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Veterans List
    From this article:

Three burning questions for every club - AFL.com.au

.....comes this:

"Will John Longmire need to make some massive selection calls come finals time?

Veterans Dan Hannebery and Kieren Jack have struggled for form and fitness over the past two seasons, and with so much young talent coming through, their positions in the best 22 might come under scrutiny in the next two months. With the exception of Callum Mills (foot) and Sam Naismith (knee), Longmire has a full list to choose from, and he's shown in the past – with Ryan O'Keefe in 2014 – that he'll always go for the best team available over reputations."
    - Adam Curley

Relevant question. I agree with the first sentence but I don't agree with that last bit. Hasn't happened this season yet.

Swans are rallying around Hanners. I’d be amazed if he gets dropped!

Swans 'walk taller' with Hannebery: Rampe - AFL.com.au

DAN HANNEBERY'S value to Sydney extends beyond the stat sheet, with fellow vice-captain Dane Rampe saying teammates at the club all walk taller in the midfielder's presence.

Former Swans coach Paul Roos ... noted Hannebery had built his game on work-rate and there had been a "dramatic" drop off on that front.

Hannebery was among Sydney's best against West Coast in round 13, tallying a season-high 24 disposals and curbing the influence of Andrew Gaff, but has otherwise struggled in recent weeks.

"Obviously Dan's been struggling a little bit compared to his normal elite standards," Rampe told reporters ahead of the side's clash with Geelong at the SCG on Thursday night.

"While he hasn't been at his best numbers-wise, he's continuing to push hard and really keep everyone accountable out there and lead by example.

"That's what we expect of him and he's getting a free run with his body now, so hopefully his best form shouldn't be too far around the corner.

"Walking down the race with Dan Hannebery, I know a lot of the younger blokes – and the senior players as well – walk a lot taller and feel a lot stronger running out next to him."

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast