Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Round 16 - vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Isn’t it the actual pace of the game that passes some older players by, especially if they are a bit banged up and hampered by parts of their body that are now hurting all the time.
    I dont think its pace of the game that has passed Hanners by - because he has never been a player that has been reliant on being 'quick', but rather he has always relied on being a gut runner, with huge endurance and willingness to get to every contest.

What has been really noticeable this year is that he has, in some games in particular, barely been walking between contests, and looking exhausted for large parts of games. An outcome that a reoccurence of OP could potentially eb contributing to - as it has that debilitating impact on the body and its endurance.

I have little doubt he won't be dropped, but we definitely need to see some real improvement soon in his performance and use of the ball. With him and Jack struggling so very much, its leaving a lot to do to not many players in our midfield group.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Swans are rallying around Hanners. I’d be amazed if he gets dropped!

Swans 'walk taller' with Hannebery: Rampe - AFL.com.au
    Saw that.....bit disappointed with the club's 'tunnel vision' on this one.

I can't see why Hannebery can't get back to his best. He's still only 27 and he hasn't suffered a career ending injury. He's just in a deep slump, probably due to a lack of pre-season preparation.

My question is why he's carrying his problems to the senior side instead of getting his body right working with the rehab professionals and through the NEAFL. Once he's shown that he's back in form, then he can can straight back in the senior side. He's embarrassing himself and hurting the team by playing senior football in his current condition.

The other question: is he keeping anyone out of the side that could play a similar role?

Veterans List
    The other question: is he keeping anyone out of the side that could play a similar role?
    How's Dawson's tank? I realise he's only been back in the two's a couple of weeks though.....

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    What is his role currently?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    Not confident about this game, with Heeney and Papley likely outs. Felt we missed Papley last week. Of course had we won I'd be lauding our depth

I forget what the "yellow vest theory" is, but in this weeks training photos it's JPK and Sam Reid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I can't see why Hannebery can't get back to his best. He's still only 27 and he hasn't suffered a career ending injury. He's just in a deep slump, probably due to a lack of pre-season preparation.

My question is why he's carrying his problems to the senior side instead of getting his body right working with the rehab professionals and through the NEAFL. Once he's shown that he's back in form, then he can can straight back in the senior side. He's embarrassing himself and hurting the team by playing senior football in his current condition.
    Embarrassing himself and hurting the team? Please stop. IMO even a half fit Hannebery will bring more to the team than anyone else in the Neafl team. Foote and Robinson have all been tried in the past and their numbers don't stack up to what Hannebery is currently producing. Besides it is not just about numbers. Hannebery is an elite player who is three time all Australian, two time top 5 brownlow medal vote getter, Afl coaches award winner. He is a premiership player and vice captain of the club. He has given his all for our club and should be given the respect all that deserves. He has many credits in the bank. To those that think that he could easily be replaced by a neafl player are dreaming. Any neafl player with an ounce of Hannebery's talent would have already been playing regular senior football. Don't forget Hannebery was playing senior football as a school boy.

Hannebery is not the only player down on last years numbers. Both Dangerfield and Martin are down about 25% on last years stats as well. In fact a number of elite players are experiencing a decline in stats. Whilst clearly Hannebery is not 100%, I suspect that there is more to this overall decline in numbers by the games best players . The 'state of the game' or over officiating, I'm not sure. Whatever it is, perhaps some players are more affected than others. Hannebery is a champion and he will respond like all champions do.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    Embarrassing himself and hurting the team? Please stop. IMO even a half fit Hannebery will bring more to the team than anyone else in the Neafl team. Foote and Robinson have all been tried in the past and their numbers don't stack up to what Hannebery is currently producing. Besides it is not just about numbers. Hannebery is an elite player who is three time all Australian, two time top 5 brownlow medal vote getter, Afl coaches award winner. He is a premiership player and vice captain of the club. He has given his all for our club and should be given the respect all that deserves. He has many credits in the bank. To those that think that he could easily be replaced by a neafl player are dreaming. Any neafl player with an ounce of Hannebery's talent would have already been playing regular senior football. Don't forget Hannebery was playing senior football as a school boy.

Hannebery is not the only player down on last years numbers. Both Dangerfield and Martin are down about 25% on last years stats as well. In fact a number of elite players are experiencing a decline in stats. Whilst clearly Hannebery is not 100%, I suspect that there is more to this overall decline in numbers by the games best players . The 'state of the game' or over officiating, I'm not sure. Whatever it is, perhaps some players are more affected than others. Hannebery is a champion and he will respond like all champions do.
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post

There's no arguing that Hanners has been one of the very best midfielders in the AFL for a half dozen years and I said in my previous post that I expect, like you do, to get back to his best in due course. But that doesn't change the fact that he's been awful this year. You can see it just watching the game. Everyone sees it. Just read the comments from RWO members on the match threads. It's been written up and commented upon by numerous journos. There's no comparison between what Hanners is doing this year and off-their-Brownlow best of Dangerfield and Martin.

Lauding his past doesn't change the current situation. Like everyone else, I'm waiting every week to see Hanners jump back to his usual self. Maybe it will happen this week. Who knows?

Based on his recent games there are several NEAFL players IMO that could make a better contribution than Hanners on recent form, including Fox, Newman, Towers and perhaps Robinson and Dawson as well. O'Riordan has also been playing good consistent football.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    What is his role currently?
    That’s a very reasonable question. As a mostly outside midfielder that gets to as many contests as possible including playing a defensive role on another outside player e.g. Gaff

Goes up to 11
    I think currently we'd get more value out of blooding O'Riordan or getting some games into Dawson than having Hanners on the field.

Of course I hope his issues are only temporary and that normal service will soon be resumed.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast