Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Smith - still the best in the business

Veteran Site Admin

Nick Smith - still the best in the business

The stats files: Who's best at the toughest job in footy? - AFL.com.au

I admit to being sceptical about some (or maybe most) of the AFL's various rating systems. However, if this measure of the defensive effectiveness of small defenders is even close to reliable, the gap between Smith and the next best is quite startling.

Tom - sign him up straight away for next season.

Wow! That’s extraordinary

Senior Player
    If there was a stat for output this season compared to career average, Smith would be near the top of that, too. He's having a great season. Sinclair, Jones and Hewett would be the others playing above average seasons, but they are on development upswings.

All those Brownlow votes prove he is the best too

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheer_Cheer View Post
    All those Brownlow votes prove he is the best too
    Just shows what the umpires know. .....but it's an unsung role and it's the unseen things and one percenters that make him so effective. I say sign him up too.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    A wonderful player, and has many times saved our bacon. One of the first picked every game, and deservedly so.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    I love watching Smooch play - whatever "star" he is on just disappears, except for a commentator comment that "X is having an uncharacteristically quiet game". I was at a Swans event when the MC jokingly built up the other player (Hanners?) then turned to Nick and jokingly asked "what do you do on the team? I never see you out there."

With all the well-deserved accolades for Cyril Rioli on the announcement of his retirement, it's worth mentioning on this thread that Nick Smith got the better of him for the most part, and was probably the only defender who could make that claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I love watching Smooch play - whatever "star" he is on just disappears, except for a commentator comment that "X is having an uncharacteristically quiet game". I was at a Swans event when the MC jokingly built up the other player (Hanners?) then turned to Nick and jokingly asked "what do you do on the team? I never see you out there."
    Did he reply that you rarely notice a shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    With all the well-deserved accolades for Cyril Rioli on the announcement of his retirement, it's worth mentioning on this thread that Nick Smith got the better of him for the most part, and was probably the only defender who could make that claim.
    Yes, often got the better of Cyril. Possibly worth a Brownlow vote? Or at least, a briefly flirtatious man-crush from McAvaney?

Do you ever think we wasted Nick Smith's talents by pigeon holing him as a back pocket defender. Was he ever tried as a midfielder, and if not, what was the reason (too slow, etc) ?

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Do you ever think we wasted Nick Smith's talents by pigeon holing him as a back pocket defender. Was he ever tried as a midfielder, and if not, what was the reason (too slow, etc) ?
    Probably the same reason Rampe hasn’t yet ( and sadly probably never will , he’d kill it as a mid!) . They are both too bloody good at what they do and that role is too bloody important to the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast