Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    What peeves me off is that its all well and good that Cyril walks away from his contract at least 2, if not 3 years early (Cant remember if it was end of 2020 or 2021), and Hawks free to spend the saved money. We get 'punished' though if Buddy was to walk away in a year or two though with time left on his contract by having to carry it the whole way through.

They will be very active again, and no doubt in my mind will land at least 1, if not both of them...
    Two words: “Ty Vickery” the dodgiest free agency deal ever. And I bet they didn’t have to carry his salary after he retired?

Veterans List
    Titus is on fire today......

A highly unhelpful guide to Round Sixteen | Titus O'Reily

Some choice quotes:

"I love the footy media; they are always quick to break news, even if what they break never happens."

Melb v Freo
    "Max Gawn will be thrilled Sandilands is out, he’ll just be hoping his teammates might join him on the field this week.

They’d want to. A loss here would undo all the good work earlier in the season and have me questioning again why I have wasted my entire life."

WB v Hawks
    "Going against one of more core brand attributes, I would like to say something nice about a Hawthorn player.

Rioli was one of the reasons we watch footy, a player that could do the things we all pretended to do as kids but against actual opponents.

His retirement is a sad moment for all of us; I’ll miss watching him, even if he played a significant role in one of the darkest periods of AFL history, the Hawks three-peat."

Lions v Blues
    "Are Brisbane 100 percent better than Carlton? Probably. Everyone is at least 100 percent better than Carlton.

In your next job interview, when asked what your biggest strength is, say ‘I’m 100 percent better than Carlton.’"

Tigers v Crows
    "Imagine my shock to learn some people want me to provide thoughts on the game itself. It made me wonder if they’d read my stuff before.

Anyway, lesson learned, no more wild tangents that take away from coverage of the Crows.

Which brings me to Philippines basketball.

I’ve long said Philippines basketball is a direct threat to the stability of the sport of basketball and the World. Forget North Korea, they are merely a distraction.

The scenes on that court this week have no place outside the Medallion Club at Etihad Stadium.

Obviously, I blame the Philippines for everything.

I’ve read some Australians trying to argue blame should be shared, but I’ve got no interest in this, no matter the truth.

Go live in the Philippines if you want to present balanced and nuanced views on sport, it has no place in Australia.

Anyway, kudos to basketball for finding a way to get cut through during the World Cup."

As usual.....gold.

Patton's done another knee. Giants are stuffed. Will not make finals now.

Veterans List
    Oh wow very bad luck for Patton. That's his 3rd ACL isn't it?

Fingers crossed no injuries for us.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Oh wow very bad luck for Patton. That's his 3rd ACL isn't it?

You spoke too soon, Melican hammy again - grrrrr Looks like an extended stay in the seniors for Aliir.

Have a look at the GWS side playing WCE, no where near as scary as it was 18 months ago, not brim full of first rounders. Remember when their NEAFL side had 8-10 first rounders playing every week?

Oh, and yes, Patton's third ACL.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Two words: “Ty Vickery” the dodgiest free agency deal ever. And I bet they didn’t have to carry his salary after he retired?
    Vickery's salary had to be included in the Hawks cap.

The reason we can't change the terms of Buddy's contract is because he was a Restricted FA and therefore Hawthorn could have matched the terms of his Swans contract. AFL does this to stop the buying club structuring the multi year contract in such a way that it prevents the losing club matching. Say they knew the losing club had no cap space in year one, they'd structure it to pay big in year one then once the player was at the new club write a new contract to even out the money. With a RFA, what's in the contract stays in your salary cap for the contract's entirety.

Cyril walks away and his contract doesn't need to be honoured or included in the cap. Hawks may use the saved money to get say Sloane but they don't have Cyril. Bwuce McAvaney must be distraught at present!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    You spoke too soon, Melican hammy again - grrrrr Looks like an extended stay in the seniors for Aliir.
    "He has done it twice on each side now which is not great" according to Horse on the AFL site. That is not good.....could turn into a career killer. I certainly hope not.

Veterans List

I should have kept my mouth shut 😐

I should have kept my mouth shut 😐
    Or crossed more fingers

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    With our tough run home and mounting injury problems, I'm worried about dropping out of the 8 altogether by season's end. I feel that catching the teams above us might be wishful thinking and am wanting the teams below us to lose so that they stay there! (Defeatist, I know, and will be thrilled to be proven wrong!)

So, I'm finding myself barracking for Richmond to beat the Crows. At 3/4T, Crows within 16 points which is hard to believe as some of their one-on-one efforts have been insipid.

(Happy for more optimistic RWOers to tell me I'm overly cautious!)
    Last edited by Sandridge; 6th July 2018 at 11:20 PM.

Have been watching Tigers v Crows with sound off : they (Tigs) are a running swarm and play with complete arrogance with so many options dodging opponents like they are nailed to the ground.

This could be the easiest back to back , or are the Crows just pathetic as Blighty would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    With our tough run home and mounting injury problems, I'm worried about dropping out of the 8 altogether by season's end.
    If we fall out of the 8 at the end of the season it means we played really crap football after the bye round, so why not just be in the best draft position possible. It's not like we would really have a shot a the premiership. Even our best footy looks a fair way off Richmond. It would take something really special and very odd for us to win the premiership this year.

The hardest thing to take is that we actually are probably worse than Collingwood now. One of the most awful thoughts I've ever had.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast