Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 72

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

  1. #37
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilbr View Post
    I agree totally! No sympathy from me. They should not have been allowed to retain the 1995 Cup given their blatant rorting of the salary cap to win it.
    Exactly! Compare that with what happened to us post Buddy recruitment and then what happened in 2016 at the end......it's just not right.

  2. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Let's hope it's completely broken down and parts are no longer available. Will never forgive the arrogant cheats for waiting for us to die in the 90s so that they could move in on the Sydney market. May the club languish at the wrong end of the ladder for many years to come.
    That was the saviour of the swans. A bid so outlandish that the other clubs had to step in.

  3. #39
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    That was the saviour of the swans. A bid so outlandish that the other clubs had to step in.
    And it was Collingwood that led the charge to resuscitate us!

  4. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    And it was Collingwood that led the charge to resuscitate us!
    To spite Carlton

  5. #41
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,739
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    And it was Collingwood that led the charge to resuscitate us!
    ......but not because they liked us.

  6. #42
    Senior Player Doctor J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Between Cities
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Rioli was a great player, seemed like a nice guy and it's sad that personal issues have led to his early retirement.

    However, I can't help but feel that as an indigenous player at the club whose supporters were brutal in their treatment of Goodesy, he could have done something to help the situation.

    He and his indigenous teammates could have made a difference but chose not to. That's what I'll remember him for.
    Yep stood and watched his "brother" burn. Have no time for him because of it and because so many of his tackles were chicken wing tackles and he was never called on it.

    Never troubled us, Nick Smith kept him quiet every time.

  7. #43
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    ......but not because they liked us.
    True. Collingwood were concerned about Carlton becoming a stronger club and greatly preferred to keep a weak Swans team in the competition.That was 1992. Funny how things change over time.

    Since then, Swans have been in 6 Grand Finals, Carlton 3. We've won 2 Premierships, Carlton's won 1. And our membership is now 60,000 plus, around 10,000 more than Carlton's!

  8. #44
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    616
    The 2016 Premiers losing again!

    Unfortunately, it's Hawthorn making them look ordinary.

  9. #45
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Rioli was a great player, seemed like a nice guy and it's sad that personal issues have led to his early retirement.

    However, I can't help but feel that as an indigenous player at the club whose supporters were brutal in their treatment of Goodesy, he could have done something to help the situation.

    He and his indigenous teammates could have made a difference but chose not to. That's what I'll remember him for.
    I'm sure you meant this quite innocently, but there's no compelling reason that all indigenous people should be packaged together into a single personality. like some sort of fungible commodity. People of all cultures and races vary in how involved they choose to be in social and political matters. Above all, Cyril Rioli is an individual human being with every right to abstain from involvement in wider indigenous issues. He seems a shy person and I wouldn't expect him to throw himself into a public debate of any sort.

  10. #46
    Senior Player Doctor J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Between Cities
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I'm sure you meant this quite innocently, but there's no compelling reason that all indigenous people should be packaged together into a single personality. like some sort of fungible commodity. People of all cultures and races vary in how involved they choose to be in social and political matters. Above all, Cyril Rioli is an individual human being with every right to abstain from involvement in wider indigenous issues. He seems a shy person and I wouldn't expect him to throw himself into a public debate of any sort.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

  11. #47
    Warming the Bench
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Top End
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor J. View Post
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    "Don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes."

  12. #48
    #gobombers

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO