Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

Collingwood and Essendon was a fairly even game. I thought the umpiring made the difference. Is was particularly pro-Collingwood in the 1st half. I think the AFL would like to have a Richmond-Collingwood GF. It would be a massive event in Melbourne. As for the rest of the country, well who really cares about that at AFLHQ?

I noticed what seemed to be an anomaly in the scheduling in that in the current stretch of 8 Collingwood games, they played only one at an away ground, GC at Metricom. All the other 7 were played at the MCG, including their current away game against Essendon.
    And they got the home ground umpiring calls as well.

We were the only non-Victorian team to win a premiership in the past 11 years. We may well be the last in the history of the AFL to do it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Collingwood and Essendon was a fairly even game. I thought the umpiring made the difference. Is was particularly pro-Collingwood in the 1st half. I think the AFL would like to have a Richmond-Collingwood GF. It would be a massive event in Melbourne. As for the rest of the country, well who really cares about that at AFLHQ?

I noticed what seemed to be an anomaly in the scheduling in that in the current stretch of 8 Collingwood games, they played only one at an away ground, GC at Metricom. All the other 7 were played at the MCG, including their current away game against Essendon.
    And they got the home ground umpiring calls as well.

We were the only non-Victorian team to win a premiership in the past 11 years. We may well be the last in the history of the AFL to do it.
    Unless it is two non vics in the GF. Farcical, insular national competition. Laughing stock when looked at rationally.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Unless it is two non vics in the GF. Farcical, insular national competition. Laughing stock when looked at rationally.
    The old boys club of the VFL will never allow a GF to be between 2 non-Victorian teams. In 2016 it was close to being SWans vs GWS but GWS got shafted in the prelim final and we got shafted in the GF. The last GF between 2 non-Victorian teams was 2006 - Swans vs West Coke Eagles.

Warming the Bench
    I watched Richmond vs Adelaide on Friday night. The commentating and the cameras always seems to draw attention to where the ball is (going) but I tried to look at other parts of the field to see what the other Richmond players were doing. In our game last week Kayne Lambert ran the furthest according to the GPS trackers but the next 3 or 4 were Swans players. This goes some way to explain how the Richmond players can switch up a gear in the last quarter and blow away other teams. They did it to us and they did it to Adelaide.
    Watching Richmond on Fri night as a neutral observer was an eye opener. They seem to work like a net - they don't flood forward or flood back but they are always moving and they are never stagnant. Their players always seem to be looking for space and running into it even if they are a long way from where the ball is. They always seem to be getting ready for a forward thrust even when they are defending. In a marking contest only 1 player is involved even if there are 2 from the opposition but there are 2 or 3 other team mates staying down waiting for the crumb. When the ball is in dispute they help each other out and they scrap like hell to get the ball but only for a short time. They tie it up very quickly or they get it out as quickly as possible. You don't see Richmond players doing a series of short handballs in congestion - like the Swans players do. They aim to move the ball out of the contests as quickly as possible by whatever means and in the direction of their goacontinuallyls. Having a game plan based on contested footy is very tiring so they aim for minimum congestion.
    When they take a mark or get a free they play on very quickly. It's very rare they stop and look around for the 'best' option. With their players continually running into space there's always 2 or 3 option and they like to take the first option because they maintain possession and continue moving the ball forward. With players always running into space or kicking the ball into space they continually have the opposition back peddling.
    I watched bombers vs magpies today and, even though it was a good game, there was hesitation after marks and free kicks and that provides time for the opposition to set up their defence.

I don't think Richmond players are any fitter than other teams but their game plan is more efficient than others - they don't waste energy on stoppage based footy. Run into space, kick to space, keep the ball moving towards the goal. Simples

Veterans List
    I said yesterday that they swarm like ants, it's why you look through the Richmond side and find a stack of almost unknown players but whatever they are doing as individuals it's adding up to a powerful collective.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandrevan View Post
    I watched Richmond vs Adelaide on Friday night. The commentating and the cameras always seems to draw attention to where the ball is (going) but I tried to look at other parts of the field to see what the other Richmond players were doing. In our game last week Kayne Lambert ran the furthest according to the GPS trackers but the next 3 or 4 were Swans players. This goes some way to explain how the Richmond players can switch up a gear in the last quarter and blow away other teams. They did it to us and they did it to Adelaide.
    Watching Richmond on Fri night as a neutral observer was an eye opener. They seem to work like a net - they don't flood forward or flood back but they are always moving and they are never stagnant. Their players always seem to be looking for space and running into it even if they are a long way from where the ball is. They always seem to be getting ready for a forward thrust even when they are defending. In a marking contest only 1 player is involved even if there are 2 from the opposition but there are 2 or 3 other team mates staying down waiting for the crumb. When the ball is in dispute they help each other out and they scrap like hell to get the ball but only for a short time. They tie it up very quickly or they get it out as quickly as possible. You don't see Richmond players doing a series of short handballs in congestion - like the Swans players do. They aim to move the ball out of the contests as quickly as possible by whatever means and in the direction of their goacontinuallyls. Having a game plan based on contested footy is very tiring so they aim for minimum congestion.
    When they take a mark or get a free they play on very quickly. It's very rare they stop and look around for the 'best' option. With their players continually running into space there's always 2 or 3 option and they like to take the first option because they maintain possession and continue moving the ball forward. With players always running into space or kicking the ball into space they continually have the opposition back peddling.
    I watched bombers vs magpies today and, even though it was a good game, there was hesitation after marks and free kicks and that provides time for the opposition to set up their defence.

I don't think Richmond players are any fitter than other teams but their game plan is more efficient than others - they don't waste energy on stoppage based footy. Run into space, kick to space, keep the ball moving towards the goal. Simples
    Fair assessment that.....and they are hard to stop when they get it right, which is most of the time at the moment. Can't see anyone seriously challenging them for the flag at this point. In full flight, they look awesome.....but as you say, they have a simple plan and in executing that plan, they make great football look simple. They are skillful, very efficient and they love playing with each other, it's a winning combination.....and I'm slightly jealous of my Tiger barracking daughter right now.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Sandrevan, thanks for your thoughtful, and I suspect accurate, discussion on how Richmond play.

They are skilful and on the move with the ball whenever possible, and man up tightly when the opposition has it. We have done this from time to time and I'd like to see it more often, especially the bit about manning up.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

The tigers are so relaxed and smile as they make you look silly.
    They even have joke of the week at the 3/4 time huddle just to have a laugh and chill for the final onslaught before they go and have another BBQ at Dimmas .
    It’s their flag to lose .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The tigers are so relaxed and smile as they make you look silly.
    They even have joke of the week at the 3/4 time huddle just to have a laugh and chill for the final onslaught before they go and have another BBQ at Dimmas .
    It’s their flag to lose .
    Its been a few years since weve had a dominant team like this, Ive forgotten what it feels like.

All the other coaches must be working overtime to devise a plan against them. Once one shows the way, the blueprint is set and that will wipe the smirk off their faces.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    ....if not, se la vi.
    c'est la vie ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just came inside and flicked on the telly to see how the Lukocious Cup was going at the Gabba and to see Carlton's "green shoots" ....
    I'm glad Brisbane won. (some) Teams have worked out tanking is not good for "culture" at a footy club.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

I hope Brisbane come good next year, and these wins are not just false hope.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I hope Brisbane come good next year, and these wins are not just false hope.
    Me too; I'm optimistic. They've got some very good young players who are starting to play very well. Hopefully Hipwood's 6 on the weekend is a sign of things to come: Career-high six for happy Hippy - AFL.com.au. He also seems pretty strong in the mind. As does Raynor.

Those young players are being built around some impressive older players. The Daynes, Beams and Zorko, are star players - the former is starting to come good. Still in their late twenties. Stefan Martin is a very good player, as we saw against us.

They just need to build a winning culture. Hopefully that starts happening in the back end of the year. It'll help if they keep Hodge on the coaching staff.

It'll be interesting to see how they go over the next fortnight: Hawthorn away will be tough; Adelaide at home, an opportunity.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast