Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 72

Thread: #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,719

    #AFL Round 16 Weekly Discussion Thread

    Well, today's big news is the sudden retirement of Cyril Rioli from AFL football. A bit of a relief for all other teams and a bit of a shock.....even taking into consideration his taking of 'personal leave'. Who knows what the real reason's are (his fathers death has no doubt set the wheels in motion) but good luck to him and his family. No doubt a great player even if he was adorned in horrible colours of brown and gold.

    As for the weekends round of games.....some good games coming, tomorrow night of course, Friday night (Tigers V Crows), Saturday......potential in Port v Saints, Dogs v Hawks and on Sunday, Dons v Magpies and WC v Giants. A good round of footy.

    Have a great weekend everyone......Go Swans!!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 4th July 2018 at 12:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Would have thought Ryoli maximizing his earning potential which only has a couple of years left in the game would be the best thing for his family, but I'm no where near the details of course.

  3. #3
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,719
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Would have thought Ryoli maximizing his earning potential which only has a couple of years left in the game would be the best thing for his family, but I'm no where near the details of course.
    Sometimes Barry, it is not always about MONEY......and you don't think he may have earned enough already? He wasn't on low coin.....

  4. #4
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Would have thought Ryoli maximizing his earning potential which only has a couple of years left in the game would be the best thing for his family, but I'm no where near the details of course.
    If he ever needs some more cash, surely Bruce McAvaney would love to have him as his personal assistant, butler or some other associated role

    Hated him as a player as an opposition supporter for the damage he could do with very little of the ball. But a great career nonetheless, and always enjoyed the fantastic battles between him and Nick Smith over the years.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  5. #5
    Senior Player
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Castlemaine, Vic.
    Posts
    2,719
    There's always a bad angle on things and with Cyril's retirement, it is this:

    Hawks clear cap space for Lynch and Sloane - AFL.com.au

    Both Lynch and Sloane maybe ending up at the Hawks? The thought of it makes me want to vomit......

  6. #6
    Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    615
    Rioli was a great player, seemed like a nice guy and it's sad that personal issues have led to his early retirement.

    However, I can't help but feel that as an indigenous player at the club whose supporters were brutal in their treatment of Goodesy, he could have done something to help the situation.

    He and his indigenous teammates could have made a difference but chose not to. That's what I'll remember him for.

  7. #7
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    There's always a bad angle on things and with Cyril's retirement, it is this:

    Hawks clear cap space for Lynch and Sloane - AFL.com.au

    Both Lynch and Sloane maybe ending up at the Hawks? The thought of it makes me want to vomit......
    What peeves me off is that its all well and good that Cyril walks away from his contract at least 2, if not 3 years early (Cant remember if it was end of 2020 or 2021), and Hawks free to spend the saved money. We get 'punished' though if Buddy was to walk away in a year or two though with time left on his contract by having to carry it the whole way through.

    They will be very active again, and no doubt in my mind will land at least 1, if not both of them...
    Last edited by mcs; 4th July 2018 at 03:18 PM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    What peeves me off is that its all well and good that Cyril walks away from his contract at least 2, if not 3 years early (Cant remember if it was end of 2020 or 2021), and Hawks free to spend the saved money. We get 'punished' though if Buddy was to walk away in a year or two though with time left on his contract by having to carry it the whole way through.

    They will be very active again, and no doubt in my mind will land at least 1, if not both of them...
    Yes, but it was made very clear in our situation that Buddy’s salary would continue to be included in our cap should recruit him.

    I don’t think it’s either fair or right.

    But that was a stipulation and we recruited him.

    If he sees out his contract, no harm done.

  9. #9
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    13,496
    I imagine that the salary cap relief the Hawks get for Rioli will be analogous to what we get for Tippett.

  10. #10
    On the veteran's list
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Swans Heartland
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    There's always a bad angle on things and with Cyril's retirement, it is this:

    Hawks clear cap space for Lynch and Sloane - AFL.com.au

    Both Lynch and Sloane maybe ending up at the Hawks? The thought of it makes me want to vomit......
    They can't have everyone! No, wait .........

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    What peeves me off is that its all well and good that Cyril walks away from his contract at least 2, if not 3 years early (Cant remember if it was end of 2020 or 2021), and Hawks free to spend the saved money. We get 'punished' though if Buddy was to walk away in a year or two though with time left on his contract by having to carry it the whole way through.

    They will be very active again, and no doubt in my mind will land at least 1, if not both of them...
    If you make offers to free agents, particularly restricted free agents where their present club can match the offer, then they have to be paid in full otherwise clubs could bid anything and bail out later. Cyril is not a free agent.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

  11. #11
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,990
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    They can't have everyone! No, wait .........

    - - - Updated - - -

    If you make offers to free agents, particularly restricted free agents where their present club can match the offer, then they have to be paid in full otherwise clubs could bid anything and bail out later. Cyril is not a free agent.
    I understand the rationale - but I still think it stinks..... because my understanding is it not just covers 'voluntary retirements' in the case of Buddy but also 'involuntary retirements'. In the first case - fine, it makes sense. But what if the worst was to happen and he had his leg busted or his ACL busted or something, and medical advice was that he could never play again? My understanding is we would still be up for the lot. Free agent or not, in such circumstances every player should surely be treated the same.

    It was a typical AFL 'policy on the run' approach to dealing with the situation, rather than actually sitting down and working out how best to handle it.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

  12. #12
    Regular in the Side
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Inner West
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    Rioli was a great player, seemed like a nice guy and it's sad that personal issues have led to his early retirement.

    However, I can't help but feel that as an indigenous player at the club whose supporters were brutal in their treatment of Goodesy, he could have done something to help the situation.

    He and his indigenous teammates could have made a difference but chose not to. That's what I'll remember him for.
    mmm, I think that might be a little harsh an assessment of the guy. It's hard to imagine that he would have been OK with some
    Hawthorn supporters booing Goodsey, but not everybody is comfortable with "standing up" on certain issues.

    On a lighter note; who would you rather have in your team for a long time? Cyril or Tom Mitchell?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO