Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: RWO site changes, bugs, disruptions thread

It might have been my post since I had about 7 URL links in the post, the sort of thing that often causes problems. It's a shame, because they were good links to videos of Papley and Hayward laughing it up and talking about how much they hit it off. Very relevant in light of the stories about how unhappy Paps was with his living arrangements.

Veteran Site Admin
    Nah, that post wasn't the problem Ludwig. I moved that post out of the thread and I could view it fine. I've replaced it now (though not sure if it sits in the page that is still unviewable), but did remove some odd syntax from the bottom of it. Just showed as code.

I posted a short, very ordinary comment (no links) from overseas that Liz removed. I would be surprised if that caused a problem .... ?

Veteran Site Admin
    That one has been reinstated. It was never a suspect. I was just trying to play around with the page breaks by (temporarily) deleting a few posts. It did change the page breaks (and hence the page that wasn't working) but didn't help me identify the culprit post. I've replaced everything now that I either removed completely out of the thread, or soft deleted within the thread.

I guess it will forever remain a mystery the nature of the post that had the effect it did.

I've posted a link in the 2019 drafting thread that seems to have stuffed it up. Sorry. Didn't anticipate that.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I've posted a link in the 2019 drafting thread that seems to have stuffed it up. Sorry. Didn't anticipate that.
    You probably know this, but I can't seem to able to post on the covid19 thread on the footy chat. a post, or link, from boddo seems to have caused a blockage Thx.

Senior Player
    I've noticed recently when pasting URLs from the ABC website that the link text displays as "iview", and the rest of the page after that link doesn't display properly.

One solution is to edit your post like this:

- copy and paste the story title from the ABC page
    - select the title words in your post and click the "Link" button (the globe + chain link icon)
    - copy the ABC page URL and paste it in, click "OK"

Or if you know how to edit the code for a link plus its text manually, do it that way. So long as link text is added, rather than just pasting the URL.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfws View Post
    I've noticed recently when pasting URLs from the ABC website that the link text displays as "iview", and the rest of the page after that link doesn't display properly.
    From my Desktop, I cannot read any new posts of the "2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel " thread after post #787 from BloodSpirit (9:34am 5 Aug ) that has a iview link. I can though see these missing NEW posts on my phone via Tapatalk.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    From my Desktop, I cannot read any new posts of the "2020 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel " thread after post #787 from BloodSpirit (9:34am 5 Aug ) that has a iview link. I can though see these missing NEW posts on my phone via Tapatalk.
    There's malformed HTML immediately after that link that's stopping the rest of the page from displaying. There is a spurious "[/title]" tag that's likely to be causing the issue. Apparently, it's meant to be paired with another "[title]" tag further down but they've been switched and it's confusing the browsers. (Replace the [] with greater/less than).

Also, the forum doesn't sanitise raw HTML tags. This is a problem.
    Last edited by Thunder Shaker; 6th August 2020 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Remove raw HTML, it confuses browsers.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Why do some links always screw up the thread?. iview links seem to one culprit, but there are others. Do we know why this happens? If we can't fix this, can we have an alert to RWO members listing the kind of links that shouldn't be made?

As a follow up to my previous post:

Post numbers 177 to 180 are missing from the thread Round 13: Dockers v Swans.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    If you find you have posted a link that has mucked up the display of the thread (such as the notorious iview links), there are two solutions:

Prevention: The problem can be avoided by creating the links manually using url tags. Copy the link from the top of the browser window and paste it into a url tag.

Editing the post: The edit button isn't visible, but the post can still be edited. Accessing the editpost script directly and pasting the global post number into the script will run the script normally and the post can be edited to remove the problematic html. The global post number can be found in the URL in the top right corner (it is different to the displayed number which is the post's index in the thread). For example, Ludwig's post above mine has thread index "#54" but the global post number is "800865".

This is a trick that moderators can use to repair the forum. Individual posters can edit their own posts for a limited time.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final