Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Rd 16 Sydney v Geelong, SCG, 05 July 2018 @SydneySwans #SwansCats

Senior Player
    Not much good to say about that. Worst game I’ve attended in some time.
    Struck me tonight how slow we look, and how tired by the end. And that’s against a middling opposition. Even J Selwood makes us look slow.
    Shame Towers couldn’t make the most of his chance. At least some of the younger ones tried, but let down by skills. Too much faffing about in the 50 leading to turnovers and goals. Would have been slaughter if the Cats kicked straight.
    We can only hope that we get some spark from the ins (Papley, Heeney, Reid) in the next few weeks.

We've been badly hurt by the effective loss of Hanners and Jack from our midfield group, 2 reliable hard ball winners, and suddenly our inside contested game is looking frail. Not having Dawson available to fill a spot has not helped, nor has the loss of Mills, which might have given us another midfield option.

Our kids, Hayward, Florent, Ronke and McCartin have been very good, but are still young players and young players tend to fade as the season wears on.

When Rohan comes back, he has to go to defence. McCartin should stay in the side even when Reid returns.

Aliir still has so much to learn and should have loads of improvement to go. Once we can rely on him to go to the right places we should be able to utilise him more as an offensive weapon, but that's still some way off. Harry Taylor had zero marks for the game and Aliir 8, so not a bad effort for a key defender.

On the veteran's list
    Longmire saying Hanners did calf early in the game and was played forward with Jack already out of the game

Totally agree with your sentiments.

That was a tough game too watch... yet another game where the majority of players REFUSE to bend down for the ball at every contest, no wonder the opposition teams have the majority of the ball against the swannies.

Looks like finally most teams have worked out the swans suck at contests for the ball, all a team has to do is be better in that 1 area (which they are) and should win 90% time.

Kennedy doesn't seem to be leading very well imo and the coach completely runs out of ideas when the team is under pressure and has NO other game plan.

Something has to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    We've been badly hurt by the effective loss of Hanners and Jack from our midfield group, 2 reliable hard ball winners, and suddenly our inside contested game is looking frail. Not having Dawson available to fill a spot has not helped, nor has the loss of Mills, which might have given us another midfield option.

Our kids, Hayward, Florent, Ronke and McCartin have been very good, but are still young players and young players tend to fade as the season wears on.

When Rohan comes back, he has to go to defence. McCartin should stay in the side even when Reid returns.

Aliir still has so much to learn and should have loads of improvement to go. Once we can rely on him to go to the right places we should be able to utilise him more as an offensive weapon, but that's still some way off. Harry Taylor had zero marks for the game and Aliir 8, so not a bad effort for a key defender.
    How many chances does he get? Honestly its better to give COR a chance he looks ready for afl level we need run and quick ball movement out of defence.

We should also consider trading out Lloyd and trading for Jayden hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post
    How many chances does he get? Honestly its better to give COR a chance he looks ready for afl level we need run and quick ball movement out of defence.

Trading out Lloyd! Did you not watch the game tonight?
    Occupational hazards:
    I don't eat animals since discovering this ability. I used to. But one day the lamb I was eating came through to me and ever since then I haven't been able to eat meat.
    - animal psychic Amanda de Warren

Quote Originally Posted by U.S. Swan View Post
    I am sorry but Aliir Aliir is not an AFL quality player...He has size and can usually mark...but he has NO disposal skill.
    cant agree with that - at the ground he covered so much territory he played really well - he took marks unlike the rest of the team - he is so composed, which at a distance looks like he’s very casual about it all, I thought he was very good tonight.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Longmire saying Hanners did calf early in the game and was played forward with Jack already out of the game
    Wow so that's 3 forced changes next week. People are going to get their wish with no Hanners, Jack or Rohan in the side but we didn't want it like this.

I agree with those saying that we didn't have anyone at the fall of the ball when Buddy contested. Geelong were able to stroll out time and again. We need to have Ronke and Hayward, (and Papley and Rohan when they are back), pressuring and keeping the ball in our 50 or sneaking a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Swan15 View Post
    anybody that suggests getting buddy was a mistake has rocks in there head.

Whats wrong is the way we go fwd and use him. We have all the parts for a premiership team, what we are missing the game plan to use him correctly. Either that or the players dont follow the game plan when going fwd.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    no it is not the players. it is Horse's game plan. even the assistants seem perplexed by it. They have instituted a short kicking game plan for a while but it seems when it comes to the big games it goes back to Horse's long bomb game plan. Not only that we also get Horse's ugly scrum game plan. @@@@ I want him to @@@@ off. Wht is it so hard to play really exciting footy. Ollie tried to but was not getting any help. Why? Because John Longmire does not believe in shepherding and protecting the player with the ball. @@@@ing idiot. he actually said shepherding is overrated. well John you got @@@@ing shepherded out of tinight's game and should have lost by 50 points, @@@@ing idiot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Levii3 View Post

Rohan is contracted until 2020. What is he going to do for next 2 and a half years? I'm saying that whenever he does return to the senior side it should be as a defender and not the forward role he's been playing.

Trading Lloyd for Jayden Hunt? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Foreign Legion View Post
    Bull@@@@. You are totally wrong. Tom Mitchell would not have won us one more game this year.
    agree with this - Mitchell is a little upstart who’s final year with us he might as well have played in the twos - his mind was with Hawthorn the entire time. He publicly said he didn’t like the selection decisions made at Sydney - what a prima donna - as if the team was to revolve around him. He might have a @@@@ load of touches in a game but honestly how many are truly effective ??? And seeing he and O’meara Interviewed recently - talk about having tickets on themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Trading out Lloyd! Did you not watch the game tonight?
    My comment is not based on his form which has been good but our need. Since we lost Malceski Jetta Shaw and even Matner we haven't had run out of d50 apart from Jones every now and then. Lloyd gets a lot of the ball but he's not a game breaker he doesn't deliver the ball into the forwards. He just takes kick ins hits short 20 30m chip kicks we need players that look inside the corridor and are willing to take the game on by foot or through the air.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Rohan is contracted until 2020. What is he going to do for next 2 and a half years? I'm saying that whenever he does return to the senior side it should be as a defender and not the forward role he's been playing.

Trading Lloyd for Jayden Hunt? Really?
    Not for each other... Lloyd to GC or wherever he want to go for a first round and use a second or third round pick for Hunt. We honestly can't afford to pay another guy 600k+ Hayward and Florent look like they might me a graders.