View Poll Results: Tom Lynch - yea or nay?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

2 20.00%
  • Nay

8 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do the Swans need Tom Lynch?

Do the Swans need Tom Lynch?

Seem to be having serious trouble kicking a score.

Will Reid solve the issue?

Could have inside running if he decides to go with the Dew connection.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Veteran Site Admin
    We can’t kick a score because we can’t move the ball into the forward line with speed, fluency and skill. On the few times in the past fortnight when it has been brought in to a reasonably dangerous spot, the forwards haven't done too badly.

We have Buddy, a developing McCartin, Reid, Blakey and some good smaller forwards. What we need is a couple of gun midfielders.
    Last edited by liz; 6th July 2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed phone induced typos

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We can’t kick a score because we can’t move the ball into the forward line with speed, fluency and skill. On the few times in the past fortnight when it has been brought in to a reasonably dangerous spot, the forwards he ent done too badly.

We haveBuddy, a developing McCartin, Reid, Blakey and some good smaller forwards. What we need is a couple of gun midfielders.
    Summed it up perfectly Liz. We could have Plugger, Cazaly, Capper, Micky O and Buddy in our forward line, but if we can't get the ball in there, we aren't going to kick a winning score.

The forward line imho is the least of our problems going forward - even post-Buddy. Midfield is where we need to find a gem or a steal from another club.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We can’t kick a score because we can’t move the ball into the forward line with speed, fluency and skill. On the few times in the past fortnight when it has been brought in to a reasonably dangerous spot, the forwards haven't done too badly.

We have Buddy, a developing McCartin, Reid, Blakey and some good smaller forwards. What we need is a couple of gun midfielders.
    I agree. It's been a problem for the Swans for years that we don't have anyone who can play in the mids with a ton of class. (I'm excluding Goodes, who was generally not spending much time in the mids at the end of his year).

I even went as far as saying I'd trade Kennedy for Pendlebury. (This was about 5 years ago, when we still had Mitchell, Kennedy wasn't captain and Pendlebury was at the top of his game).

Maybe Heeney and Mills can fill that role, maybe not. It would be nice to have another option though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    I agree. It's been a problem for the Swans for years that we don't have anyone who can play in the mids with a ton of class. (I'm excluding Goodes, who was generally not spending much time in the mids at the end of his year).

I even went as far as saying I'd trade Kennedy for Pendlebury. (This was about 5 years ago, when we still had Mitchell, Kennedy wasn't captain and Pendlebury was at the top of his game).

Maybe Heeney and Mills can fill that role, maybe not. It would be nice to have another option though.
    Florent shaping well. Jones is another on the wing if he can calm down a bit when he kicks it. Maybe we can arrange a trade for a classy midfielder. I'm sure the club is aware of our needs. Maybe Kieren will retire as well as McVeigh to free up cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Florent shaping well. Jones is another on the wing if he can calm down a bit when he kicks it. Maybe we can arrange a trade for a classy midfielder. I'm sure the club is aware of our needs. Maybe Kieren will retire as well as McVeigh to free up cap space.
    Dunno about Ollie, reckon he’ll be a player who has the odd blinder but there’ll be many a game where you wonder where he is hiding. He is not going to be the answer to our looming midfield gap. I like Jones’s effort - but same goes.

Did we make a mistake not meeting Mitchell’s demands?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    Dunno about Ollie, reckon he’ll be a player who has the odd blinder but there’ll be many a game where you wonder where he is hiding. He is not going to be the answer to our looming midfield gap. I like Jones’s effort - but same goes.

Did we make a mistake not meeting Mitchell’s demands?

Give Ollie a chance! He's 19 years old! Jones also has time on his side.

We had one, Mitchell and gave him away.

I believe earlier in the year when I called into question the clubs rating of Parker, Mills and Hanners over Mitchell as a mistake, you very much defended them.

Gold coast need Tom lynch.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    I would take whatever we can get from Melbourne for Jones as far as I'm concerned. His decision making is terrible, he fumbles under pressure, he shows aggression when niggling opposition but not when it's his time to go in a tough contest! and his kicking is only usually long and not to our advantage... Melbourne have enough classy fringe players who have speed and more importantly skill that I'm sure we can fit into our side.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    I would take whatever we can get from Melbourne for Jones as far as I'm concerned. His decision making is terrible, he fumbles under pressure, he shows aggression when niggling opposition but not when it's his time to go in a tough contest! and his kicking is only usually long and not to our advantage... Melbourne have enough classy fringe players who have speed and more importantly skill that I'm sure we can fit into our side.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    I was in that camp until I saw that he is 23.
    Couple more years and hey will likely correct much of this.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I sincerely doubt that we have the cap room to chase Lynch seriously. Our midfield has gone from close to the best in the competition two seasons ago to middle ranking now with Hanners and Jack in significant decline. Clearly any trading needs to address that gap. With 20/20 hindsight we can see that Mitchell not being retained was a huge mistake and he is highly likely to win the Brownlow this season. But then again Hawthorn traded Kennedy so all clubs make mistakes. The current crop of injuries to veterans give us the opportunity to try some up and comers. Hopefully Heeney and Papley will be back this week. We need them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast